Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Remakes and Other Such Nonsense

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, a bunch of King stories would make the list.

But IMO, The Running Man is the most egregious example of warping King's work into something it is not. The Running Man is an entirely different story that carries the title of the King work for reasons completely unknown to me (well, the reason is money, but that's the worst reason to do just about anything in the creative world).

You know though, when that movie came out, and even still now, it never had the tag line, "Stephen King's The Running Man". Back in the 1980's it seemed his movies really used his name to sell them, I don't think they really did with The Running Man. However that might be because it was written under his pseudonym and while it was just coming out that King had been using a pseudonym, it wasn't really public knowledge.

And also, they probably figured, we don't need King's name to market this, it's starring The Arnold Schwarzenegger and this is 1987!

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

I have copies of the early 2000s Dune and Children of Dune television movies. Has anyone seen them? I haven't watched them yet.

IIRC, the first was watchable, but I don't recall watching Children ever. 

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#43 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,102 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

If we add junky prequels to this list, we have the bad 2011 Thing remake (which was almost great and turned out to be really bad) and Prometheus.  The only good thing that came out of Prometheus was this.

But there have been some pretty solid remakes the last few years - 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit and the American version of Let the Right One In.

• nicksaviking likes this

#44 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

I think the US version of the Office, while not perfect all the time, was very good television.....just your daily glass half full post, now back to whining about the Dozier "trade"....

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#45 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,190 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

I think the US version of the Office, while not perfect all the time, was very good television.....just your daily glass half full post, now back to whining about the Dozier "trade"....

Oh my God ... do NOT bring that topic here ... shame on you! ;)

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#46 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,227 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

I think the US version of the Office, while not perfect all the time, was very good television...

I'd go as far as to say seasons 2-4 of the American version were just as good as the British version.

The American version, when it was rolling through those early seasons, was absolutely hilarious. I find most people who whine about the American version are just being pretentious prats who don't want to like anything that's popular.

And that same crew went on to create Parks & Rec, one of the best sitcoms of all time.

But the American Office started to slide downhill hard and fast somewhere around season five. Its problem wasn't quality, it was the American television tradition of beating a horse until there's nothing left. The Brits have the smarts and decency to get the hell out while the getting is good.

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and Vanimal46 like this

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

Agreed, seasons 2-4 were about perfect for me. 

and, Parks and Rec, it ages very, very well.....

and, on the last point, Heroes anyone? Had they finished season 1 like they weren't doing more, that would have been a better show, imo.

#48 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,331 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

I'd go as far as to say seasons 2-4 of the American version were just as good as the British version.

The American version, when it was rolling through those early seasons, was absolutely hilarious. I find most people who whine about the American version are just being pretentious prats who don't want to like anything that's popular.

And that same crew went on to create Parks & Rec, one of the best sitcoms of all time.

But the American Office started to slide downhill hard and fast somewhere around season five. Its problem wasn't quality, it was the American television tradition of beating a horse until there's nothing left. The Brits have the smarts and decency to get the hell out while the getting is good.

As soon as the Nard Dog took over Michael Scott's job, it was going downhill quickly. They needed a faster exit plan once Carell left the show. 

Parks & Rec is one of my favorite comedy shows of all-time. 

• Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#49 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,331 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

kate has to be in the top 10 for me. 

This would be an interesting thread.... Everyone's top 10 list. Kate is beautiful for sure. I don't think she'd make the cut on mine. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#50 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 21,190 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

This would be an interesting thread.... Everyone's top 10 list. Kate is beautiful for sure. I don't think she'd make the cut on mine. 

Viggo and Johnny would be at the top of mine.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

as for songs....the remake list is LONG, and often better......

two I really like are Satisfaction by Devo, and working in a coal mine, by Devo.....

I'd pay money for an album that had 10 different styles of Satisfaction.....

#52 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,331 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Long or short hair Viggo?

#53 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

At the top of your what?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#54 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 21,190 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Long or short hair Viggo?

Yes.

• gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#55 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 21,190 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

At the top of your what?

My list.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#56 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

You can leave now.

Oh and Parks and Rec was absolutely brilliant.  Just brilliant.  My wife and i are considering going back for a rewatch of the whole thing.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 24 January 2017 - 02:09 PM.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#57 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,331 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

You can leave now.

Oh and Parks and Rec was absolutely brilliant.  Just brilliant.  My wife and i are considering going back for a rewatch of the whole thing.

My list is probably a little younger than yours.... For example, I doubt you have Ariana Grande on your list. She's firmly on mine :) 

• gunnarthor likes this

#58 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

My list is probably a little younger than yours.... For example, I doubt you have Ariana Grande on your list. She's firmly on mine :)

You're like a double entendre machine right now.....

(And no, she is nowhere near my list)

• Mike Sixel and gunnarthor like this

#59 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

My list is probably a little younger than yours....

This is starting to feel a little awkward. Nice work turning a perfectly innocent conversation about objectifying women into something we might feel a little ashamed about!

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, snepp and 2 others like this

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Ya, not a fan of those lists....but occasionally I comment on a particular woman.