Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Adopt-A-Prospect 2017 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 King

King

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

I'm in for joining.

#22 King

King

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Is this happening? Minor league season just around the corner
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#23 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

I like the above posters idea too. I was thinking Cedar Rapids for myself. Whichever pitchers are coming or going through the system.

Some tried this type of thing last year and it fell apart with only a few of us keeping up on AAPs. I really think there needs to be a draft to get more involvement. Most people only want one or two players but maybe a hy-brid version could exist where there's room for adopting an MiLB teams hitters or pitchers outside the top prospects already adopted?

#24 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

Is this happening? Minor league season just around the corner

Seth, can we set a draft date time for the VERY near future?

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

My suggestion, a hybrid between the draft-players solution and someone-be-in charge-of-an-entire-team.

1. 4 people volunteer as stalwarts (goulik and 3 others?) to be in charge of each of the 4 minor league teams that play in April: Rochester, Chattanooga, Ft Myers. and Cedar Rapids.
  2. Open up all players for these teams to a draft, for whoever wants them, as done in past years (after a day, another round of drafting if people want 2 or more).
  3. Any players not drafted, the 4 stalwarts maintain rudimentary pages for, and also monitor the players who were drafted.
  4. After the June draft, we figure out something similar for E-town and GCL.

I want to see something happen! It needs buy-in from Seth, however.

• goulik likes this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

I'm in... I think we can do a draft...

What I'm thinking is that we draft 30 players a day for three or four days. The first day, I'lll list our Top 20 or 25, and people can draft those players. The next day, I'll create another list of 20-25 players, and people can draft one of them. And so on for 4 days. I think we can start it on Wednesday and draft Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Then I'll take a look at where we are and next week we can do 1-2 more days. But if we can get 20-25 people who promise to be very active and they each take 4-6 players, we can cover more ground and be a bit more organized. 

Any thoughts on this plan??

• goulik likes this

#27 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

My suggestion, a hybrid between the draft-players solution and someone-be-in charge-of-an-entire-team.

• 4 people volunteer as stalwarts (goulik and 3 others?) to be in charge of each of the 4 minor league teams that play in April: Rochester, Chattanooga, Ft Myers. and Cedar Rapids.
  • Open up all players for these teams to a draft, for whoever wants them, as done in past years (after a day, another round of drafting if people want 2 or more).
  • Any players not drafted, the 4 stalwarts maintain rudimentary pages for, and also monitor the players who were drafted.
  • After the June draft, we figure out something similar for E-town and GCL.
I want to see something happen! It needs buy-in from Seth, however.

*Wants to by ashburyjohn a steak*
  • ashburyjohn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#28 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

I'm in... I think we can do a draft...

What I'm thinking is that we draft 30 players a day for three or four days. The first day, I'lll list our Top 20 or 25, and people can draft those players. The next day, I'll create another list of 20-25 players, and people can draft one of them. And so on for 4 days. I think we can start it on Wednesday and draft Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Then I'll take a look at where we are and next week we can do 1-2 more days. But if we can get 20-25 people who promise to be very active and they each take 4-6 players, we can cover more ground and be a bit more organized. 

Any thoughts on this plan??

I like the idea of working off of a list to get more drafted but wonder if we can have a larger number to choose from day one since some people will be unavailable at the moment the draft opens...lots of people working lots of different shifts you know? Everyone should get a shot at someone they REALLY want.

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

I like the idea of working off of a list to get more drafted but wonder if we can have a larger number to choose from day one since some people will be unavailable at the moment the draft opens...lots of people working lots of different shifts you know? Everyone should get a shot at someone they REALLY want.

Sure, we can do 40 on Day 1 and play the next days by ear. 

• goulik likes this

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

We'll have Round 1 of the Adopt-A-Prospect Draft tomorrow morning. More details to come... 

#31 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

Woot!

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

At 9:00 central time, the draft will begin. I'll post a list of 30-35 Twins prospects to be drafted in round 1. A Twins Daily reader will be able to draft one player in each round. Round 2 will be Thursday with a new group of prospects. Round 3 will be Friday... and we'll see where we are.

If you are going to Adopt Prospects, you need to commit to updating the thread often. Obviously if a player is hurt, it's unlikely there will be much to update. However, if you draft a player, you should do the following:

1.) The first thing is to set up your Prospects's thread. The title should be Player Name - Adopt-A-Prospect 2017. That way it is identifiable. Within that initial thread, please provide a bunch of background on the player. Age, background, status, history, level, etc. You can add some stats. You can write what you want, but it should  be a pretty thorough introduction to the player.

2.) Once that initial post is updated, your job is to keep the thread lively. Update it weekly or so with how the player is doing. If a player has a multi-hit game, or a home run, or something like that, post it. You can also do google searches for the player and see if you can find articles on them from their hometown newspaper or something like that. See if there is any fun YouTube video on the player. Stuff like that. 

Note that other people can post things on those sites if they find them as well. It's still a community thread, but you are in charge of your player's thread.

Make sure it's fun!

The Draft:

Sometime tonight, I'll post the 30ish players who will be eligible to be drafted tomorrow. It'll be top prospects and guys we could see in the big leagues in 2017. 

At 9:00 central time on Wednesday. I'll start a new thread with those names and say something like "The Draft now begins." Once that happens, it's first-come, first-serve for the players. Then we'll regroup the next day, and so on. 

#33 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Sorry, sorry, sorry. Yes, all that needs to happen for this to really work is for a full dedicated bunch of drafters to get threads started. It was exhausting to try to start so many. I follow these guys thoroughly, so I don't mind updating threads during the season. 

#34 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Hey, let's draft and adopt those prospects!! Go to the AAP forum now before I take all the best prospects!