Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Vogelsong and Tepesch: Where's the Excitement?

signing vogelsong tepesch
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

I posted about the signings late last night, then decided I was in over my head analyzing them, so I pulled the post back.

But now, because nobody has posted about it, I'm posting.

Not too exciting, I don't think.

They are both mediocre pitchers and one of them (Vogelsong) will be 40 years old in July and has a career WHIP of 1.4. Yes, he has post-season experience (3 and 5 years ago) ...

And the other (Tepesch) would appear to be a AAAA-level starter at best.

Ho hum!

Where is the new regime?

(I know my stats are general, and others will undoubtedly add something more sophisticated and put me to shame - and that's okay).

Attached Thumbnails

• Greatness-vs.-Mediocrity.png

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 11 January 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

There's nothing wrong with either signing but it's unlikely either will play in the majors this year.  There's not a lot of pitching out there.  The best FA pitcher left is probably Hammel.  That shouldn't excite anyone.  So the Twins are really in a wait and see mode.  

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,622 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

Minor league deals and camp invites shouldn't be too distressing.

Though I'm pretty sure I drove to work this morning past three cops going faster than their two-seamers and didn't get pulled over.
  • darin617, LimestoneBaggy, ScrapTheNickname and 4 others like this

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

Vogelsong hasn't pitched in the minors since 2010, outside of rehab assignments. He must think he has a pretty good shot to make the MLB club here?

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Vogelsong hasn't pitched in the minors since 2010, outside of rehab assignments. He must think he has a pretty good shot to make the MLB club here?

Good lord let's hope not. I assume it's going to be a spring training audition for another team, or he could have an agreement like Robbie Grossman had with Cleveland.... Where if he's not called up by May 1st, he can opt-out. 

• mikelink45 and Tom Froemming like this

#6 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

Vogelsong isn't 40, he's just 39. I'm hoping it's not his Swan-song.

• Sconnie likes this

#7 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Vogelsong isn't 40, he's just 39.  

Probably why he said Vogelsong turns 40 in July as opposed to saying he is 40 :-)

• ScrapTheNickname, jokin, Winston Smith and 1 other like this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,566 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

They are the replacements for Andrew Albers and Pat Dean pretty much.  

Do I like the signings?No, because they keep players like Romero, Jorge, and Stewart in lower levels than they need to be... 

This is just the same old story of dumpster diving.Nothing new.

Re: the "new" regime:Look again.Only the heads changed.There is the same farm director and the same player evaluators that have been around for a while.Sounds like Pohlad is going for a soft transition and 2017 will be an assessment year for the Front Office I suspect, so expect this season to be a quasi-Ryan season, unfortunately.

Edited by Thrylos, 11 January 2017 - 06:02 PM.

• jokin, mikelink45, twinssouth and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,007 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

And this was brought up in the FA Minor League signings thread in the minor league forum, here.

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,622 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

How's that Sinatra song go? If you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere....
  • ashburyjohn and Willihammer like this

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Do I like the signings?No, because they keep players like Romero, Jorge, and Stewart in lower levels than they need to be... 

This is just the same old story of dumpster diving.Nothing new.

Re: the "new" regime:Look again.Only the heads changed.There is the same farm director and the same player evaluators that have been around for a while.Sounds like Pohlad is going for a soft transition and 2017 will be an assessment year for the Front Office I suspect, so expect this season to be a quasi-Ryan season, unfortunately.

Romero  will likely start in Ft. Myers for a month and move up to Chattanooga. 

Jay, Gonsalves, Jorge and Stewart, along with Rosario will most likely start in Chattanooga. The only one of those you could make some argument for starting in Rochester is Gonsalves, though I'd doubt it. 

Rochester will have Mejia, Slegers and Wheeler, maybe Hurlbut. Maybe Baxendale. So, these guys can go there (if they don't have opt-outs) and make starts until those AA guys are ready. Also, we don't know where Berrios will be how about Duffey, etc. 

• mikelink45 likes this

#12 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,007 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

How's that Sinatra song go? If you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere....

It's from 'New York, New York' and the line is: If I can make it there, I'm gonna make it anywhere, It's up to you, New York, New York

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#13 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

And this was brought up in the FA Minor League signings thread in the minor league forum, here.

I did not know that.

#14 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,007 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

I did not know that.

It's okay :) It's good you made a thread, though, as there seems to be some who want to discuss this separately. But it was becoming a minor league discussion so I moved it here.

• ScrapTheNickname likes this

#15 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

No harm in signing either pitcher. You never know when you will have injuries and need a replacement.

#16 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Do I like the signings? No, because they keep players like Romero, Jorge, and Stewart in lower levels than they need to be...

This is just the same old story of dumpster diving. Nothing new.
Re: the "new" regime: Look again. Only the heads changed. There is the same farm director and the same player evaluators that have been around for a while. Sounds like Pohlad is going for a soft transition and 2017 will be an assessment year for the Front Office I suspect, so expect this season to be a quasi-Ryan season, unfortunately.

What team doesn't sign guys like these? If what you mean here is that this season will be a quasi-Ryan season because virtually all teams do certain things every single year-you know, like bringing in a few long shots to camp-and the new regime is going to do what all teams do, then I agree. Nothing new.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

No big deal. They signed a couple AAA flyers to flesh out the rotation...maybe. Gonsalves, Mejia and Wheeler and then what else? You've still got to have 5 starters. Everyone takes flyers like this on guys for AAA. Once in a while you even get lucky and find someone useful. The odds are about as good they are released as actually making the Rochester roster. Nothing to be concerned about.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,622 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

It's from 'New York, New York' and the line is: If I can make it there, I'm gonna make it anywhere, It's up to you, New York, New York

Sorry I forgot the sarcasm emoji.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#19 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

This could be as a result of the paper Neil Allen wrote on fastball control.It could be most of the better prospects will be held back a year to work on it.Therefore you need filler until the advance starts again.

#20 Gagne Fan

Gagne Fan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:51 PM

It's bad when these guys get spring training invites and guys like Hildenberger and Baxendale don't
Hasbeens over youth is never good
Same ole same ole
  • Thrylos and Mike Sixel like this