Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Notes from Day 1 in Beloit

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Day-1-in-Beloit

#2 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Travis asked me, “Do you know who else has Vargas’s body type?” Immediately, I responded, “David Ortiz.” We laughed at thinking the same thing, but it is true.

And then a tickle fight broke out...

Just kidding Seth. Great report. I have to get down there one of these days.

#3 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the trip update Seth. I appreciate the observations on the players. I agree with you, waking up the morning after eating a wisc. Cheeseburger has to be viewed as a good thing. Do they give you guidelines on the snapperburger? Mustard only or do they allow ketchup on there as well?

#4 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thats two encouraging reports on Sano's development. Keith Law had this to say about Sano in his chat (2) yesterday when asked about his high strike out rate:
"He's really young, and I'm hearing the quality of his ABs is good and improving."

#5 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Nice write up, thanks. I would love to get over there sometime, have thought about it for a few years. I didn't know it was in jeopardy of moving. "However, the other theme from this discussion was the due to lack of attendance and the need for a new stadium, they would completely understand if the Twins decided to move elsewhere." -- sounds like those are the two reasons they might move? Was attendance poor? Is the stadium midway-ish? I hope I can make it out there next year, if they are still around.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think it would be wonderful if one of the farm teams setup shop in MN. Imagine if the Saints were replaced with a A or AA team and got their downtown St. Paul stadium, what a blast it would be to see Sano and other prospects right here in town.

#6 grover738

grover738

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

I've never been to Beloit, but I saw the Snappers play the Cedar Rapids Kernels back in June. Great facility, and an hour closer to the twin cities than Beloit, only 2.5 hours for me. Player access was not a problem, just wait outside the locker rooms, every player walks outside after the game. Moves are always tough, but Cedar Rapids makes a ton of sense. I talked to a scout, he said that Beloit was by far the worst facility in the Midwest League. I agree about the players - very approachable. Especially nice were AJ Petterson and Nate Roberts, both took the time to talk to my boys about baseball. I've seen players talk to kids before because they know they're supposed to talk to kids. AJ and Nate talked to my boys because they wanted to talk about baseball with kids. Hope to see them again in August when the Snappers come to Cedar Rapids again, but I'm guessing Nate is on his way to Ft. Myers soon given his age and performance.

#7 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

Sioux Falls would be a great place for a Twins minor league team.

#8 MWLFan

MWLFan

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

I thinkl Sioux Falls is out of the running due to geography. Long way to drive from Cedar Rapids, much less Fort Wayne.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I thinkl Sioux Falls is out of the running due to geography. Long way to drive from Cedar Rapids, much less Fort Wayne.

Rochester is much closer to the rest of the Midwest.

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I always enjoy your road trip reports -- thanks so much. But your food line-up sounds like you may need to keep a cardiologist on speed dial -- be careful out there!

#11 dougg13

dougg13

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

We made the trip last year. Five and a half hours, very easy drive. Great, great trip, the staff at Beloit were wonderful for my son and me, wish they had more local fan support.

#12 Darin Bratsch

Darin Bratsch

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Just came home from Beliot. Watched the snappers play on Wednesday and saw Sano hit #21. His hits DO make a different sound! Zach Jones was very impressive as well. I watched as he consistent hit 97/98 on the scouts radar guns. His breaking pitch really had the scouts talking and making gestures to each other. Fun trip their, enjoyed it a lot. Seth, what can you tell us about the Jones kid?

#13 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

I can't believe I haven't been there since they became the Twins affiliate. And I'm almost sure I won't this year, which is just stupid.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

I can't believe I haven't been there since they became the Twins affiliate. And I'm almost sure I won't this year, which is just stupid.

Come on over today! Jim Crikket's making the drive from Cedar Rapids. Jeremy Nygaard is here. It's a good time!

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

Just came home from Beliot. Watched the snappers play on Wednesday and saw Sano hit #21. His hits DO make a different sound! Zach Jones was very impressive as well. I watched as he consistent hit 97/98 on the scouts radar guns. His breaking pitch really had the scouts talking and making gestures to each other. Fun trip their, enjoyed it a lot. Seth, what can you tell us about the Jones kid?

Thanks for sharing! Sano has several hits these first two games. A couple of RBI singles last night. A double the night before. Rosario has five hits these last two games... and 11 hits in his last four games. Just unreal.

But yes, Zach Jones has everyone talking... 97/98, good breaking ball. Fourth round pick just this year. It's hard to believe he fell that far with what he's throwing up there now!! Hoping to see him pitch!!