Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Interested in Jose Bautista?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#41 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,616 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Duh! Grossman drew a walk since he has the eye of Sherlock Holmes at the plate, and D Santana hit a bunt single.  

One of em HAS to be Mauer on first.  He refused to swing in an RBI situation and drew a walk.

• Steve Lein, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#42 Gheggs08

Gheggs08

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

I dont understand why you would want to keep Dozier at leadoff.  Why not put Mauer, who still gets on base at a very good rate and sees a lot of pitches, ahead of him?  Mauer had a .363 obp which ranked the 2nd highest on the team and averaged over 4 pitches per plate appearance.

I do agree Mauer should be ahead but then who hits 1? Polanco maybe I suppose but Dozier is the only guy we know can do it, and do it well, at this point. 

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,306 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or a typo or if I'm just completely missing your point.You can get good players in the 2nd round, especially with the first pick. Given that top pick over all in the second round, using it to snag falling talent that is too expensive is a very reasonable option. You lose the pick and the pool allotment that goes with it. 

To be clear, I said it was a gamble. I'd be fine with that if they are confident they can get more from a mid-season trade... or maybe we get lucky and are competitive... who knows. 

given I mentioned Berrios and gonsalves....yes, sarcasm.....

• d-mac likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#44 Gheggs08

Gheggs08

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

Buxton CF (If he can have a reasonable OBP and stay healthy, will score 110 runs)

Mauer 1B 

Dozier 2B

Sano 3B (needs protection from Bautista)

Bautista  RF/DH

Kepler  OF/1B

Vargas/Park DH/1B

Castro C

Polanco  SS

This would be absolutely ideal, if Buck can be that lead off guy we are all hoping and praying he can be 

• Jerr likes this

#45 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,656 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

given I mentioned Berrios and gonsalves....yes, sarcasm.....

my bad then... carry on :)

• Mike Sixel likes this

#46 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I survived Twins 2016

• Twins Mods
  • 9,466 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

2/3rds of a year of entertainment from Bautista for a 2nd round pick that could very well never be more of a prospect than the one we can get by flipping Jose.

Meh, why not. But only if we agree to stop calling him Joey Bats, ffs.

• Sconnie and Vanimal46 like this

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,306 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

2/3rds of a year of entertainment from Bautista for a 2nd round pick that could very well never be more of a prospect than the one we can get by flipping Jose.

You really think they can get a very good prospect for 1/3 of a year of a hitter that can't really field? Seems unlikely to me, frankly. Also, we lose the pool money to play with to sign a guy that drops....

As for the entertainment part, I likely place a lower value on that than you, so that part is hard to measure.

• TheLeviathan and d-mac like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#48 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

It's not like any of the Twins' top SP prospects from PR were drafted in round 2, or from CA were drafted in round 4. You can't get good players that late, we all know that....

Viola was first drafted in the 16th round but opted to go to college instead. The Twins then later drafted him in the 2nd round. The man of the hour (Dozier) was drafted in the 8th. Joe Nathan was drafted in the 6th.

There are countless examples of good players drafted late, just as there are countless examples of bad players drafted early.

#49 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 5,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Bat Flip Joe? 

Knockout..... something? 

Just doing my best to come up with a new name. 

• twinsnorth49 and David HK like this

#50 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I survived Twins 2016

• Twins Mods
  • 9,466 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

You really think they can get a very good prospect for 1/3 of a year of a hitter that can't really field? Seems unlikely to me, frankly. Also, we lose the pool money to play with to sign a guy that drops....

As for the entertainment part, I likely place a lower value on that than you, so that part is hard to measure.

Meh, possibly. Prospects are voodoo at the best of times and there will never be a shortage of baseball people willing to sell potential for the chance to win now.

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,306 posts

I can't believe my post wasn't clearly read as sarcasm, given I LITERALLY mentioned Berrios and Gonsalves......

#52 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I survived Twins 2016

• Twins Mods
  • 9,466 posts

Bat Flip Joe? 

Knockout..... something? 

Just doing my best to come up with a new name. 

I'm thinking Josie Flips, with a hard J.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#53 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Bautista is the best possible mentor for Sano on the market. He also upgrades the bench and adds depth at DH, 3B and OF. The Twins should consider this regardless of what happens to Dozier.

One problem -- Bautista is also talking to several other teams, some of which are serious contenders. I would not spend too much time thinking about Bautista becoming a Twin unless you think the Twins will outbid everybody else, probably by a significant margin.

Bautista would make a good mentor for Sano? If he was not a huge pain in the butt Baltimore or Texas would be interested in him.

It would only make sense if the deal was under $10M. There are too many hitters on the market that don't have draft pick compensation tied to them.

#54 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

mlbtonight just had a thing on this.Lowell suggested that it made a lot of sense for the Twins on a one year deal and made a few points -

- Bautista starts hot, hitting 20 home runs at the break, he'll get a good return. 

- Trading team couldn't put a QO on him under the new system it wouldn't matter anyway. 

- Stands to gain a lot of money in a make good season with no draft pick concerns

- Any attitude concerns aren't a problem for ten weeks.

- TF isn't a problem for him

- If he and Dozier are on the same team, they could both be sought after at the deadline if the Twins aren't competitive.

• 70charger, dbminn, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#55 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

I could get behind signing Bautista.

He has crushed at Target Field (pitching he was facing, not withstanding), and would provide some energy to fans.

Also think it would be likely you could trade him at the deadline for something worth more than the 2nd round pick you surrender. (I do like the possibility of manipulating the draft with all their pick money too, though)

As for a lineup, I'd go:

CF Buxton  

1B/DH Mauer 

2B Dozier 

3B Sano

RF Bautista 

LF Kepler 

DH/1B Park/Vargas 

C Castro 

SS Polanco 

Could easily swap Polanco and Buxton too.

There's a lot of bombs in that lineup.

Edit: Plus, he followed me on Twitter last year. I like him and the bat flips. ;)

Edited by Steve Lein, 10 January 2017 - 05:34 PM.

• gunnarthor, Doomtints and Gheggs08 like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#56 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 7,697 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

I just wonder whether the people who are running and/or reporting for the Twins have realized that pitching and defense was the biggest issue, and Bautista can neither pitch nor play defense, which means that he does not make sense

• adorduan, Doomtints and Tom Froemming like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#57 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 7,697 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

mlbtonight just had a thing on this.Lowell suggested that it made a lot of sense for the Twins on a one year deal and made a few points -

- Bautista starts hot, hitting 20 home runs at the break, he'll get a good return. 

- Trading team couldn't put a QO on him under the new system it wouldn't matter anyway. 

- Stands to gain a lot of money in a make good season with no draft pick concerns

- Any attitude concerns aren't a problem for ten weeks.

- TF isn't a problem for him

- If he and Dozier are on the same team, they could both be sought after at the deadline if the Twins aren't competitive.

Are you sure that what one might get in return for a Bautista rental is worth more the $ plus the second round pick it will take for the Twins to waste on him?I am not.

Thank you!This made me laugh. :lol:

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#58 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

Beltran got flipped as a DH at the deadline last year, and returned the previous year's 4th overall pick, Dillon Tate (whose stock had admittedly fallen, but still).
  • bluechipper likes this

#59 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,616 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

I just wonder whether the people who are running and/or reporting for the Twins have realized that pitching and defense was the biggest issue, and Bautista can neither pitch nor play defense, which means that he does not make sense

Run differential is the Twins biggest issue.

If you can't figure out how to give up fewer, you can at least consider how to score more.
  • Vanimal46 and Gheggs08 like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#60 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Twins could pull some shady S--t with Florida if they wanted....

Twins sign Bautista, forfeiting their 2nd round pick.

Very shortly into the season, the Twins trade Bautista to Miami for their competitive balance pick (the pick right before the pick we forfeited) and a lottery ticket prospect.

Twins do this for the bonus prospect

Miami does it to give up a comp pick instead of their first round pick.

Toronto doesn't care because their comp pick for Bautista still falls at the end of the 1st round.

Bautista is happy because he gets to play in Miami

Everybody is happy!

(except for the rest of the league)

Edited by amjgt, 10 January 2017 - 06:18 PM.

• diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and d-mac like this