Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Interested in Jose Bautista?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,668 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

So I want to say the lede was buried on the MLBTR write up for the Twins, (I'm not even linking it, don't pretend you didn't go there first!) but I guess Brian Dozier still gets top billing around here and he probably should.

However the Twins have talked to Bautista's reps? Probably just doing due diligence or perhaps is some negotiating ploy. Either way, seems a bit out of left-field (probably right-field actually or DH) to say the least.

http://m.twins.mlb.c...eek-free-agent/

So in the unlikely situation where Dozier is retained and Bautista is signed, what's the lineup? The three biggest power threats are Dozier, Bautista and Sano, all righties. Does Dozier find himself back at the top of the lineup again? Does Mauer somehow find himself remaining in the heart of the lineup due to a lack of left-handedness? Neither of those options tend to sit will with folks around here.

• glunn likes this

#2 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Bautista is the best possible mentor for Sano on the market. He also upgrades the bench and adds depth at DH, 3B and OF. The Twins should consider this regardless of what happens to Dozier.

One problem -- Bautista is also talking to several other teams, some of which are serious contenders. I would not spend too much time thinking about Bautista becoming a Twin unless you think the Twins will outbid everybody else, probably by a significant margin.

Edited by Doomtints, 10 January 2017 - 02:38 PM.

• gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,668 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

Personally I'm not sure that I'm interested at all. I'm not so opposed to giving up a draft pick, but I don't like the idea of losing the money that goes with it. I am really looking forward to seeing if our new crew is able to manipulate the draft as they have more money than any other team.

It would be fun to watch vintage Bautista crushing balls out of TF though. Not that I think it would make a huge difference on the W/L, assuming there isn't major upgrades to the rotation and pen also.

#4 beehles

beehles

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

Kind of fun to think about. I'd go:

4-DOZIER

3-MAUER

5-SANO

9-BAUTISTA

7-KEPLER

DH-PARK/VARGAS

2-CASTRO

6-POLANCO

8-BUXTON

Kind of bummed the Dozier trade seems to be dead...at least for now. On the off chance we sign a guy like Bautista we'd definitely have some exciting baseball to watch though!

• enge0280, Poli_Crandall, d-mac and 1 other like this

#5 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

Kind of fun to think about. I'd go:

4-DOZIER

3-MAUER

5-SANO

9-BAUTISTA

7-KEPLER

DH-PARK/VARGAS

2-CASTRO

6-POLANCO

8-BUXTON

Kind of bummed the Dozier trade seems to be dead...at least for now. On the off chance we sign a guy like Bautista we'd definitely have some exciting baseball to watch though!

Definitely some power there. 

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 19,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Not a fan of giving up draft picks on a 59 win team.....

• Twins33, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 6 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#7 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Have to agree with this. Bautista doesn't do anything for us unless he comes in with the understanding that we trade him at the deadline if he's mashing. At least that assures he might end up with a contender in the second half and we possibly get better value than a 2nd round pick would provide. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

#8 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

I'm all for it, just for the "Team Joey" shirts that I'll license to Parker (for free)

• gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#9 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 16,043 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

Do it.
  • HitInAPinch and Vanimal46 like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#10 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

Screw it. I say go for it. We're currently a 0 win, 0 loss team. Roll the bones.

Keep in mind on my way to my brothers funeral.
  • glunn, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#11 Poli_Crandall

Poli_Crandall

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

I, for one, am content (if not a bit excited) with this if it happens.  I know the practical side of me says that we should/need to rebuild and sell off Dozier/Santana et al but I am still a fan that watches games and this would get me excited about 2017.  That excitement might not last very long but at least it'll be there.  As for my lineup i'd go:

3-MAUER

4-DOZIER
7-KEPLER
5-SANO
9-BAUTISTA
DH-PARK/VARGAS/GROSSMAN
2-CASTRO
6-POLANCO
8-BUXTON

Edited by Poli_Crandall, 10 January 2017 - 03:40 PM.

• BK432, Mike Sixel, LimestoneBaggy and 1 other like this

#12 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Maybe, just may, would the new FO be looking at a better hitter to protect Dozier in the lineup?

Potential 2 big trades at the same time??

Something to think about...

It's not my fault !

#13 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

It'd be a second round pick, right? That'd be the only thing keeping me from signing Bautista. I'd love to have his bat in the lineup and be able to flip him at the deadline.

#14 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Bautista is only 6 behind Mauer for career Target Field HR

• USAFChief, glunn, Jerr and 7 others like this

#15 Gheggs08

Gheggs08

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

Have to agree with this. Bautista doesn't do anything for us unless he comes in with the understanding that we trade him at the deadline if he's mashing. At least that assures he might end up with a contender in the second half and we possibly get better value than a 2nd round pick would provide. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

Not a fan either but Bautista sure has something to prove if he wants to get paid big before he retires. He would only make the lineup better, more protection for Sano, allows Dozier to stay at lead off if we keep him. IMO he would net us better than a second round pick at the deadline. Hell I'd probably sign him AND trade Dozier

Edited by Gheggs08, 10 January 2017 - 03:27 PM.

• goulik and Taildragger8791 like this

#16 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

My super-unscientific look at past 2nd rounds yielded 2-4 players annually, that I had heard of.

10% hit rate.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 19,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

My super-unscientific look at past 2nd rounds yielded 2-4 players annually, that I had heard of.

10% hit rate.

What's the likelihood he helps the Twins make the playoffs this year?

or that they trade him for a prospect better than they could draft?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#18 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

The Rays signed Colby Rasmus today, and they were a team that had been connected to Bautista, so that takes them out of the running.

I'd be all for the signing.

#19 Poli_Crandall

Poli_Crandall

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Not a fan either but Bautista sure has something to prove if he wants to get paid big before he retires. He would only make the lineup better, more protection for Sano, allows Dozier to stay at lead off if we keep him. IMO he would net us better than a second round pick at the deadline. Hell I'd probably sign him AND trade Dozier

I dont understand why you would want to keep Dozier at leadoff.  Why not put Mauer, who still gets on base at a very good rate and sees a lot of pitches, ahead of him?  Mauer had a .363 obp which ranked the 2nd highest on the team and averaged over 4 pitches per plate appearance.

#20 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

I'd hit Dozier and Bautista 1 and 2 in the lineup, or possibly bump them down a spot if Buxton plays like he has the potential to.

That would be a top 5 offense in all of baseball.

• Homer Hanky and operation mindcrime like this