Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Kenley Jansen?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Not really sure how this works.

We were the worst team in baseball in 2016. If/when the Dodgers drop someone from their 40-man roster do we get the first chance at claiming them?

This makes me think that if the deal goes through it will likely include 2 Dodgers currently on the 40-man roster.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

Sabermetrician’s credo:

“I’m not sure, this is why I’m not sure, and this is roughly how not sure I am.”

#22 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

We were the worst team in baseball in 2016. If/when the Dodgers drop someone from their 40-man roster do we get the first chance at claiming them?

Yes, the Twins have first priority until 30 days into the 2017 season.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#23 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

If it's perceived that the player is taking on more risk than the team is, by agreeing to a short delay like this, I would think the Players Union would eventually perk up and pay attention if this happened often.

Jansen is clearly IMNSHO*, taking on the vast majority of the risk. All it takes is one misplaced Lego on a stair step to not only blow out a knee, but suffer a serious concussion after taking a tumble and cracking his head at the bottom.

*in my not so humble opinion

• TheLeviathan likes this

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Jansen is clearly IMNSHO*, taking on the vast majority of the risk. All it takes is one misplaced Lego on a stair step to not only blow out a knee, but suffer a serious concussion after taking a tumble and cracking his head at the bottom.

*in my not so humble opinion

• snepp likes this

I went in for an IQ test but fortunately the results were negative.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

I don't think we're anywhere near that perception though....are we?

I honestly don't know. It's a new topic for me. I see "agreement reached" and generally don't think about it further. Never had occasion to follow up on one. Might be an interesting study... for someone else to conduct.

I went in for an IQ test but fortunately the results were negative.

#26 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

This makes me think that if the deal goes through it will likely include 2 Dodgers currently on the 40-man roster.

During the regular season I thought a player goes through NL waivers before the Twins would get a crack at them.

• Shaitan likes this

#27 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

I am finally happy they made the deal official. Not so sure Micah Johnson is though since he was DFA to make room for Jensen.

Just weird that LA has a gaping hole at 2b and DFA one of the candidates today. Not that he was going to be their starter of course.

As for Jose Miguel Fernandez who the Dodgers signed the other day, only $200K for a project that would need quite a bit of time in the minors to see if he can make a comeback since not playing professionally since 2014 in Cuba.

So cut the BS and get the Dozier deal done.

• Mike Sixel likes this