Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Kenley Jansen?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

I have sort of a Brian Dozier related question that has been bugging me for almost a month now.

The Dodgers resigned Kenley Jansen back on December 13th but still have not made a spot on their 40 man roster. My take is they planned on moving at least 2 players from their 40 man roster in a possible Dozier trade. But how is it possible to I guess not technically make a deal official since you don't have room on the 40 man roster.To me it seems shady that a team doesn't have to follow rules that are enforced during the season. The offseason should be treated the same you would think.

I would think someone like Seth would know how it actually works.

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 13,105 posts
  • LocationFort Myers FL

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

The headline at MLBTR remains "to re-sign".

http://www.mlbtrader...ley-jansen.html

Handshake deal, waiting only for space to open up?

A hilarious thing for a shady alternate-universe Twins front-office to do? Reach an agreement for more money* with Jansen, and hold him "hostage" for the trade we want. OK, so we get stuck with Jansen for something more than the 5/80M deal he currently has agreed to, if this gambit fails. But, word gets around, you don't mess with US, bro - we gotcher handshake deal right here - we crazy. :)

* MLBTR reports that Washington offered $5M more. So we'd have to be in the neighborhood of 5/100M I guess.

• nicksaviking and HitInAPinch like this

I open the baseball season with a ritual throwing out of the first back muscle.

#3 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

I know but it still bugs me that a team can be allowed to technically beat the system with a handshake deal. Just watch if a Dozier deal actually happens Jansen's agreeddeal will become official a day later or so.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Darin, that's a pretty good angle you may have found.

Frankly I'm not upset that the Dodgers haven't been forced to officially sign Jansen, but I am quite impressed with the Twins front office if they are truly gaming them.

Looking at the Dodgers 40-man there doesn't appear to be as many palatable cuts as there are for a certain other team.
  • darin617 and HitInAPinch like this

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Well, it's not really gaming things if Kenley and his agents are comfortable waiting.  

#6 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

Well, it's not really gaming things if Kenley and his agents are comfortable waiting.  

It's not really waiting when the deal is done but they are just circumventing rules to their advantage for the time being.

#7 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Makes the whole JDL straight up for Dozier laughable when they need to clear 2 spots if they finally resolve this issue.

#8 DodgerFan1234

DodgerFan1234

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

I have sort of a Brian Dozier related question that has been bugging me for almost a month now.

The Dodgers resigned Kenley Jansen back on December 13th but still have not made a spot on their 40 man roster. My take is they planned on moving at least 2 players from their 40 man roster in a possible Dozier trade. But how is it possible to I guess not technically make a deal official since you don't have room on the 40 man roster.To me it seems shady that a team doesn't have to follow rules that are enforced during the season. The offseason should be treated the same you would think.

I would think someone like Seth would know how it actually works.

Kenley got married the weekend before signing.  He went on his honeymoon when the deal in principal was announced.  Therefore they haven't been able to conduct the physical and finalize said deal.  Long honeymoon I guess.

#9 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

Kenley got married the weekend before signing.  He went on his honeymoon when the deal in principal was announced.  Therefore they haven't been able to conduct the physical and finalize said deal.  Long honeymoon I guess.

That is a joke. You know who else attending his wedding and managed to get his deal finalized? That would be Justin Turner. Still can't believe MLB lets things slide through the cracks.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

It's not really waiting when the deal is done but they are just circumventing rules to their advantage for the time being.

Sure, but the player has to be ok with it and since they are it doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Wait a minute -- what rule is allegedly being circumvented here?

Jansen is not pitching for the Dodgers right now, so he doesn't have to be on the roster or officially under contract. Am I missing something?

If Jansen had a problem with it, he would be free to sign elsewhere -- he is still technically a free agent. Since that hasn't happened, I am guessing Jansen hasn't cared yet (and/or much of the delay was his fault).

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

That is a joke. You know who else attending his wedding and managed to get his deal finalized? That would be Justin Turner. Still can't believe MLB lets things slide through the cracks.

Was Justin Turner also invited to attend Jansen's honeymoon? :)

Also, unlike Turner, Jansen may make his offseason home outside the country.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,599 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

I don't see why this is a problem. It appears both parties are happy with the current situation and will formalize it when the time is right for both parties to do so.

In short, who cares? Jansen isn't pitching, the Dodgers aren't playing, and there is no money changing hands. This kind of thing happens all the time in business.

Neither the Dodgers nor Jansen are obligated to another team/player so they could wait until pitchers and catchers report and there's no issue at all.

Jansen is not obligated to sign with a team by a specific date or even sign at all, for that matter. He can do whatever the hell he wants.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 13,105 posts
  • LocationFort Myers FL

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

In short, who cares?

I wouldn't care, if our own team didn't periodically go through times where we DFA-and-lose someone. Jansen was with them in 2016, and will be in 2017, but for the moment they don't have to expose one of their 40 other guys to waivers. They're getting a degree of flexibility that the intent of the 40-man rules don't intend. Nobody really wants to make an issue over someone's 41st best player, but I share Darin's annoyance.

• wagwan and darin617 like this

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

I get that, but I would suggest all teams hold equal ability to do what the Dodgers are doing, it's not an unfair advantage.

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

Not only is there no rule violation here, but both sides are taking some risk. Obviously Jansen could get hurt, or if another team's closer got hurt, there could be a new increased offer for Jansen too.

#17 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

I don't see why this is a problem. It appears both parties are happy with the current situation and will formalize it when the time is right for both parties to do so.

In short, who cares? Jansen isn't pitching, the Dodgers aren't playing, and there is no money changing hands. This kind of thing happens all the time in business.

Neither the Dodgers nor Jansen are obligated to another team/player so they could wait until pitchers and catchers report and there's no issue at all.

Jansen is not obligated to sign with a team by a specific date or even sign at all, for that matter. He can do whatever the hell he wants.

Of course the player doesn't care. Obviously the deal is done and just not turned in to make official. The problem is he is their 41st player on the 40 man roster. So then all teams should never drop a player when they sign a player until spring training starts. Nothing like a 44 man roster for some teams.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

Of course the player doesn't care. Obviously the deal is done and just not turned in to make official. The problem is he is their 41st player on the 40 man roster. So then all teams should never drop a player when they sign a player until spring training starts. Nothing like a 44 man roster for some teams.

If you can get the signed players to agree to that to let you work out your roster....so be it.  What's the alternative?  Forcing teams to immediately file paperwork the nano-second terms are agreed on?  How would you even enforce that?

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 13,105 posts
  • LocationFort Myers FL

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

If you can get the signed players to agree to that to let you work out your roster....so be it.  What's the alternative?  Forcing teams to immediately file paperwork the nano-second terms are agreed on?  How would you even enforce that?

If it's perceived that the player is taking on more risk than the team is, by agreeing to a short delay like this, I would think the Players Union would eventually perk up and pay attention if this happened often.

• snepp likes this

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

If it's perceived that the player is taking on more risk than the team is, by agreeing to a short delay like this, I would think the Players Union would eventually perk up and pay attention if this happened often.

I don't think we're anywhere near that perception though....are we?