Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Gophers Basketball

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

Can we actually be somewhat optimistic about this team?
  • nicksaviking, twinsnorth49, bluechipper and 1 other like this
Papers...business papers.

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 19,768 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:21 AM

How 'bout them Gophers??!?

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#3 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

I think this is an NCAA Tournament team. They've got all the right pieces: size, shooting, point guard play, and good defense.

#4 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Another good thing is that only Akeem Springs is a senior that plays. This team is already good now, and they should be even better next year. The future looks really bright.

• USAFChief likes this

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Another good thing is that only Akeem Springs is a senior that plays. This team is already good now, and they should be even better next year. The future looks really bright.

This has me excited too. Losing a bench guy, bringing in 2 legit guards, and the 18 and 19 Minnesota classes are really strong.

• USAFChief and bluechipper like this

#6 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,533 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Can we actually be somewhat optimistic about this team?

Yes......although I take no responsibility if they land on the "failed to meet expectations" heap that most Gopher teams end up on.

#7 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 19,768 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

Yes......although I take no responsibility if they land on the "failed to meet expectations" heap that most Gopher teams end up on.

Well, to me, "failed to meet expectations" = "got to the tournament and then maybe even did something"

So I'm ok if they fail to meet my expectations.

• twinsnorth49 likes this

#8 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Another win tonight for the Gophers. Amir Coffey and Akeem Springs were great offensively, and Reggie Lynch played well on both ends. Other than that, it was a game that was a little rough, but still a nice win.

And Amir Coffey had a monster and-1 dunk late in the game that's worth looking up if you haven't seen it.

• USAFChief likes this

#9 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 19,768 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:25 AM

I HATE this team.  The ********** ******* *******'s are getting my hopes up.

• drjim and bluechipper like this

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

Wow. Coffey was impressive to watch last night. I'd not seen the team yet this year. They have a lot of athleticism and depth. There's also plenty of immaturity, which could bite them come tournament time, but they're definitely fun to watch!

• USAFChief and bluechipper like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#11 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

The Gophers finally made it back into the rankings, at #24 in both main polls. They're also 5th in RPI and 31st by Ken Pomeroy and his rankings.

#12 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

The Gophers finally made it back into the rankings

When was the last time?

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#13 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

When was the last time?

In February of 2013. 

I'm usually pretty optimistic going into seasons, but this team has been even better than I thought they would be. Hopefully they can keep it up get some revenge on Michigan State on Wednesday.

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

In February of 2013.

I'm usually pretty optimistic going into seasons, but this team has been even better than I thought they would be. Hopefully they can keep it up get some revenge on Michigan State on Wednesday.

That 2013 team crashed hard. Don't see that happening without multiple injuries.

I liked last night's win. Mason had an off game and the team still has the depth to take care of business against a decent team.
  • bluechipper likes this

#15 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

That 2013 team crashed hard. Don't see that happening without multiple injuries.

I liked last night's win. Mason had an off game and the team still has the depth to take care of business against a decent team.

They sure did. That was a talented team though with the Hollins(es), Rodney Williams, and Mbakwe. 

That was the year they lost to Shabazz and UCLA in the tournament. It's fun to look back at the stats and remember those guys.

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

They sure did. That was a talented team though with the Hollins(es), Rodney Williams, and Mbakwe.

That was the year they lost to Shabazz and UCLA in the tournament. It's fun to look back at the stats and remember those guys.

I got my squads mixed up, that team was ok, they won the only tournament game in 20 years. I was thinking of the team that topped out at 9 and then didn't make the tourney after Nolan went down.

#17 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

I got my squads mixed up, that team was ok, they won the only tournament game in 20 years. I was thinking of the team that topped out at 9 and then didn't make the tourney after Nolan went down.

Oh ok yeah that was a tough year. I can't remember if that was when Hoffarber had to play pg or if that was a different year.

That 2012-2013 team got all the way up to 8th too when they started 14-1. It went downhill after that pretty quick and barely held on for a tournament spot.

#18 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,533 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

Oh ok yeah that was a tough year. I can't remember if that was when Hoffarber had to play pg or if that was a different year.

That 2012-2013 team got all the way up to 8th too when they started 14-1. It went downhill after that pretty quick and barely held on for a tournament spot.

2010-11 was the year Hoffarber got thrown back to PG when Nolen broke his foot.

2012-13 was a bit of a house of cards, they were gifted another year of Mbakwe but in the end Tubby screwed that team up. His player usage and substitutions that year were ridiculous. Was glad he was canned.
  • bluechipper likes this

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,953 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

Didn't the Gophs destroy Shabazz & Co? I thought they won easily, but got killed in the next game.

#20 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

Didn't the Gophs destroy Shabazz & Co? I thought they won easily, but got killed in the next game.

Oh yeah my bad. They beat UCLA by 20, and then lost to Florida.