Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Stop By, Say Hi (Get To Know Us)

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,302 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

You? I'm learning I've hung around with a bunch of geezers for like 15 years now....

Chris Kluwe would probably make an off color joke if he were reading this
  • TheLeviathan likes this

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#42 Sconnie

Sconnie

C'mon Falvine douse the fire

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

Don't worry, we millenials will stick together against these baby boomers!

theres a few Gen X here.

I'm 36. From central MN but have lived in Wi since I moved out of my parents house, which means in about 6 months I'll have lived longer in WI than MN. I am a Sconnie in the very literal and derogatory sense, but I still love the Twins.

As mentioned elsewhere I work as an inventory liquidity manager for a multinational manufacturer, so the market making discussions really interest me.

I've been following Nick and Seth since the early ougts and just learned about BYTO when Twinscentric the Twinsdaily came around.

I lurked until I took parental/paternal leave when my first child was born and then I got bored and couldn't help myself but to post.

Now I'm hooked

Edited by Sconnie, 31 December 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 9 others like this

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

Well, I was born in Fairbault, but I spent of most of my childhood in the Cleveland area and my adult life in Indiana as well as the Chicago area. I currently live in Indianapolis.

My parents were Twins fans (until Cleveland got good in the 90s, at which point they were suddenly die hard Indians fans.. who knew... but Indians fans are what you see in the dictionary under the term 'fair weather' so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it rubbed off on them).  I first started paying attention to baseball in 87. I was an avid baseball card collector and started following some kid name Knoblauch right after he got taken in the 1st round. He became my favorite player once Gary Gaetti left MN. I've been a Twins fan through it all.

As for age, I'm in my 30s for a bit longer... not much though.

As for career, I'm a field engineer for Microsoft. I specialize in IT infrastructure and security. I get the luxury of traveling all over the country to work with customers on using our products.It's a job that I really enjoy.

I also came over from BYTO.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 10 others like this

#44 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

Born in Austin MN, live in Hastings MN with stops in MPLS and Bloomington.I'm 41 years old with 3 sons ages 16, 7, 3.The oldest two play both baseball and hockey.The youngest dreams of playing baseball and hockey.My oldest has been working with Tanner Vavra this winter hoping to win the Varsity SS spot this year.If not, he will likely be the JV SS. 

Before WWII my grandfather played some baseball and after being injured in the war, he coached some town ball in northern Iowa.Watching him raise the flag at Target Field a couple years before his passing was a real joy for the family.I get my love for the game and eye for the game from him. 

I was always the same skinny leftyRF who batted second or ninth,I think my limited talent had me looking at the game diffferently from a young age.I've enjoyed coaching for the past 10 years and am back coaching the youngsters with my 7 year old.It is not the same game to be sure, but watching the pure joys of that age group is also very rewarding. 

I've followed the site for a while, but have been more active in posting since I've been checking the site daily.My favorite Twins are: Puckett, Mack, Ortiz (Junior not Joe..) Senior Smoke, Hale, Thome, Mauer, Lombardozzi, Perkins, and many others.I'm willing to acknowledge the metrics now popular, but not willing to speak to them as gospel.To me, it is more information to use in evaluation, not the only information. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 12 others like this

#45 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

Let's Skype sometime...

You youngins don't use ICQ anymore? 

• Blake, Mike Sixel, Mike Frasier Law and 4 others like this

#46 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Born in the '50's in Winona. Minnesota resident my whole life except for a 4-year exile in Ohio for college. Currently living in the Twin Cities metro, here since 1985. Fan since I suppose around 1962. In my case being a Twins fan is a genetic condition, inherited from both sides of the family. Lots of fun memories, too many to allow me to list them all. I was at Game 2 of the 1965 WS and all 4 home games in 1987 and in 1991. 1991 is more special because my wife and I were married in September of that year. Our first date was a Twins game, BTW.

I became an active member here in April or May of 2015 after a couple years of gentle prodding by a certain moderator whom I've known since, well, a while back. I'm more of a lurker during the off season but I will be checking in almost every day once things start up in FL in February. I almost always enjoy the discussions here, and it's good to be somewhere where everyone shares an enjoyment of Twins baseball.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#47 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

Don't worry, we millenials will stick together against these baby boomers!

that leaves some (like me) stuck in the middle I fear...
  • USAFChief, diehardtwinsfan, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#48 Sconnie

Sconnie

C'mon Falvine douse the fire

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

I just wanted to say that I'm 19 years old. All of a sudden feeling really young.

thats because you are
  • USAFChief, Blake, diehardtwinsfan and 3 others like this

#49 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 15,370 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:50 PM

I became an active member here in April or May of 2015 after a couple years of gentle prodding by a certain moderator whom I've known since, well, a while back.

Wonder who that could be ...
  • Blake and Riverbrian like this

#50 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,505 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

Wonder who that could be ...

He said "gentle," so we know it's not you.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, Blake, diehardtwinsfan and 8 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#51 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 5,152 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

Good idea, fun to learn about some of the posters here.

I currently live in St Paul and have lived in Minnesota most my life. I am in my mid 30s and have 2 young sons (which is why I'm posting at 9 on New Years Eve).

I was in business consulting after I graduated college, but left that to be an Army chaplain for a while and I'm now an assistant pastor and trying to write some books.

I have been a sports fan for a while, played football and basketball at a small college but always loved baseball and now it is pretty much the only professional sport I care about.

I was always a Twins fan, went to the 87 and 91 series but did fall away a little during the wandering of 93-00 and was really bothered by the 94 strike. Really got back into baseball with the Sosa/McGwire chase and especially the Twins rebirth. It's somewhat cliche, but reading Moneyball really got me to explore baseball in a new way, and I was an ecomonics major, so really enjoy the markets and valuation and arbitrage and all that side of it as well. And being in a dynasty league the last several years has taken my fandom to a deeper level.

I certainly liked the Twins World Series teams, but it was the players on the 2001 team that I was always liked and it really culminated with Santana and Liriano. We will likely never see anything like that couple months of 06 again.

I got into BYTO midstream, loved it, and migrated over here. I took a little hiatus this past year with a new kid, a new job and the general awfulness of the Twins, but it is good to be back. Really enjoy the conversation here. I now try to check in almost daily.
  • ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs, USAFChief and 8 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#52 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

I'm 51 and guess I was born being a Twins fan as it became my father's favorite team when they moved to Minnesota. He was born and raised in South Dakota, which means I'm from their originally as well, lol. I have lived most of my life in Nebraska, however, and Omaha for the past 27 some years.

I was about 5 when introduced to baseball and the Twins via my father...who I have referenced before in previous posts, and who is a lurker but not a contributor...by way of AM 570 WNAX radio out of Yankton, which I still listen to today. He coached little league and taught me the game as we listened to Twins games in the car or on a transistor radio. I've seen the Twins play in person in KC, a couple games in Anaheim back in 1984 while at the Olympics, but have, unfortunately, only seen the Twins play in The Cities once when very young and my father's little league team was rewarded with a trip and game.

I watch as many games as I can, and have followed the Twins and their milb system via The Sporting News, Baseball America, Baseball Digest and the Tribune all my life. I began to follow Seth and other bloggers initially before following them here to Twins Daily at its inception. I lurked for a time before joining on as an active member.

Obviously, my favorite memories were the two World Series championships, but I specifically enjoyed watching the Twins earn their trip in '87 by watching the games over the Tigers with my dad. Surprisingly, despite all our time with the Twins on the radio, we've only ever watched a few full games together. So enjoying those wins together over Detroit was special. (Still fondly recall the hustle of Randy Bush).

Some of my favorite Twins of all time would be Hrbek, Puckett, Viola, Kubel, Cuddyer, Hunter, Jones and Spanish. But there are just too many to mention. And a special shout out for Herb Carneal. I still miss his booming baritone welcoming me to the broadcast.
  • ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs, USAFChief and 5 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#53 AZTwin

AZTwin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

Where are you from (be as specific as you are comfortable): Arizona

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer): late 20's

How long have you been a Twins fan? Since I can remember. Probably 5 or 6 years old.

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been? One was a game I went to. It was when the twins weren't that good. I think we were playing the Red Sox and pat meares hit a walk off hit over the short stop to win the game.

Another instance came in what had to be Hawkins rookie year. He was getting roughed up and this old guy in my section yelled out "Simmer down now". Maybe it was the presentation of it but I always got a kick out of it.

Playoffs were special but we lost too much that I blocked a lot of those games out.

Who have some of your favorite players been? Pat Meares (reason above), johan Santana, justin morneau, Corey Koskie, Guzman. Edit to add rick Aguilara, terry steinbach, and David ortiz

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)? Started on ESPN boards and went to BYtO. Wish the Henry Blanco poster still posted here...

What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site? Love reading about the twins. I'm probably around daily to weekly. Check box scores of all major and minor league teams at least daily

Edited by AZTwin, 31 December 2016 - 10:45 PM.

• ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs, USAFChief and 5 others like this

#54 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,690 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

You youngins don't use ICQ anymore? 

icq# 2003933

Add me.

yes, that's was actually my icq #, and yes, I'm a complete nerd for still remembering what it was despite it being over a decade since using it.

• ashburyjohn, Riverbrian, Craig Arko and 1 other like this

#55 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Marching for... Science

• Members
  • 6,781 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:50 PM

Twin Cities boy, staring 60 in the eye.

Fan since 1967, favorite players Tony O. and Kitty. Best memories; pitching artistry of Blyleven, Viola, and Johan.

Dearly miss Halsey Hall, cigars, and green onions. He reminded me of my Dad in many ways.

Believe it was Seth I followed to land here. Check in here more often than is healthy.

Mathematician and Geophysicist by training, Engineer and IT consultant by profession, drunken Philosopher by compulsion.

Edited by Craig Arko, 31 December 2016 - 11:00 PM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 11 others like this

"Reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." -- R.P. Feynman

#56 Buddy Holly

Buddy Holly

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

I been a long time reader (lurker) of Twins Daily. I enjoy the articles and the time all of you put into this site. The comments are the best part some days. Great Job!

I grew up in West Central Minnesota, spent time in USN and now live in North Dakota, retired from Energy industry.  I love the smell of burning hydro-carbons in the morning.

I been a Twins fan since about 1963, that's when I can remember watching them, with the great Hamm's bear commercials. My favorite players were mostly from the 60's Oliva, Hall, Allison, Grant, Carew, I like Dozier on the present team. Dozier plays hard and I hope the Twins don't trade him.  Sorry to all you people that want him gone. My greatest Twin moment was to see was the 5 home runs in one inning at a game against the KC A's in 1966. Jimmie Hall, missed the 6th one by a couple feet. 

I'm not a fan of Cyber-ball. I'm old school and agree with Jim Kaat, on the stats. 

I thought I should say why I picked Buddy Holly as a handle. Until last summer I always pictured Seth as someone that looked liked Buddy Holly, until I saw his picture. Hope your not offended Seth. You do great work, thanks for giving me something to do everyday for a few minutes. Happy New Year to everyone and Let make the Twins Great Again.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 11 others like this

#57 tshide

tshide

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

I grew up in a small North Dakota town in the Red River Valley, about 30 miles from Grand Forks. Now in my 50's I once was an avid fan of all sports but now just follow two teams. The Twins and the Univ. of N. Dakota. I live in Des Moines, IA now, working as a database developer.  I enjoy going to Kernels' games and Twins games in Target field and KC. For some strange reason I do miss the dome, probably because it was always so easy to get an inexpensive ticket.

I started as a Twins fan in 1972 (I was nine) when I started tuning in the games on the radio, KNOX out of Grand Forks. I never was able to play baseball very well but attached myself to the Twins and have stuck with them through the lean years, the two WS wins, the playoffs of the early 2000's and the current run of 90+ loss seasons.

In my youth Rod Carew was my favorite player, in the 80's and 90's it was Kirby. During the playoff teams from 2002 to 2010 it was Torii Hunter. I became a fan of Glenn Perkins as he assumed the closer role in the earlier part of this decade. In today's generation of players I don't have a clear favorite but the players I enjoy the most are Buxton, Kepler and Berrios.

A few years ago I wrote about my favorite Twins in these two articles:

http://www.iowatwins...ter-to-perkins/

and

http://www.iowatwins...ns-mt-rushmore/

My best Twins memory is the game I attended in 1977 with my mom, dad and two sisters on June 26. The Twins won 19-12 and Carew had one of many big days that year. I wrote about that experience here:

http://www.iowatwins...ame-at-the-met/

I've been reading Twins Daily since the beginning. I keep coming back for the insight and coverage of the minor leagues and analysis by the various bloggers. All of which are excellent. TD inspired me to create by own Twins website that I enjoy tinkering with: IowaTwinsFan.com.

If you see me at a Twins game I will have a camera and be taking photos, that is one of my hobbies, you can find a bunch of them posted on my website, feel free to pull any of them off the site if you are looking for Twins photos.

Thanks to all the people that make Twins Daily the best place for Twins news. There is a wealth of information and knowledge from regular bloggers along with all the contributes. What a great perk for Twins fans..

#58 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:58 PM

I started as a Twins fan in 1972 (I was nine) when I started tuning in the games on the radio, KNOX out of Grand Forks.

KNOX... I forgot that but yeah, that was my station all through High School and my two years at NDSU ( I was home for baseball season in the summer)

Edited by goulik, 31 December 2016 - 11:59 PM.

• Riverbrian likes this

#59 formerly33

formerly33

Deterioration of Mind over Matter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

18/F/CA looking to meet new friends 

Hai QT, u seem interesting 

//

19/F/MN looking for short term dating and casual sex

Self Summary

Non monagamous, married to the Twins since 2011

What I'm doing with my life

Searching for position players to liven up the team a bit bc tbh improvement in any and every department would be welcomed with open arms

Favorite players, memories, and food

Justin Morneau, Torii Hunter undressing, and ... well ... this last criteria would be considered nsfw, so feel free to provide the details mentally

You should message me if

You want to hear more from me in these forums because, in answer to the last question, these days I rarely check in

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 8 others like this
"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~René Descartes

#60 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

Grew up on a farm in South Central Minnesota about half way between New Ulm and Hutchinson. Went to Mankato State Univ in the early 80's. Lived and worked in the Twin Cities for about 25 years-Information Technology. Then about 7 years ago moved back to my old stomping grounds out here west of the "Cities".

I'm probably one of the older lurkers/posters on TD - there's a handful of us baby boomers! Not everyone on here is a millennial or Gen-X'er. :)

My first memory of following the Twins was the two sweeps in the playoffs to the Orioles in '69 and '70' (not a good memory, I know).  Some of the early Twins players I followed- of course, Harmon in his latter years as a Twin, Tony Oliva in his bad-knees years. Jim Kaat, George Mitterwald, Steve Brye, Bobby Darwin, Joe Decker, One of my favorite era's was the mid-late 70's with Larry Hisle, Lyman Bostock, Rod Carew (man, could those guys hit) and Geoff Zahn, Dave Goltz, etc...

My all-time favorite memory was the late-night celebration at the Metrodome  in '87 when the Twins returned home from Detroit after clinching the pennant. That was a lot of fun.

Been hanging with everyone here at Twins Daily for about 5 years or so. I think I was Googling for something Twins related and that led me here. Lurked for a month or two and then during a winter meetings or trade deadline or something it became too much, just HAD to join in and start posting. 

My favorite thing at TD is the minor league recaps every night during the season - the bread and butter, in my opinion. Also, love the winter meetings and trade deadlines stuff so need to hit the site pretty hard for that. Oh, and also need to get my June draft fix. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 8 others like this