Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Stop By, Say Hi (Get To Know Us)

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#21 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,791 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

I've seen almost every game for the past 20 years.

I'm so so so sorry.

• Mike Frasier Law, drbob524, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#22 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

Grew up in Cottage Grove, MN, lived in Massachusetts for a minute and now live in St Paul.
Since as long as I can remember, but I didn't become a hardcore twins specific fan until I was maybe 12 or so (more a ninja turtles fan before that point to be honest.)
"And we'll see you tomorrow night!" Always gives me chills, but just as much I have loved every spring training and minor league trip I have made to see players and the teams.
Brad Radke, Corey Koskie, Joe Mauer, learning as much as I can about Harmon Killebrew. Non twins; Buck O'Neil, Roger Clemens (pre cheating allegations) Lou Gehrig (or moreso hearing stories about him with my grandpa) and arguing Griffey is better than Bonds with my cousin.
I came to twinsdaily because I loved reading Seth's site and Aaron Gleeman's. I've loved getting to read more information because of this site, and in the past year I have started to comment some too.
Daily, multiple times daily. Talking about baseball and the twins is a passion of mine, and a good release from real life once in a while. I appreciate having this site for many reasons

Grew up in Cottage Grove, MN, lived in Massachusetts for a minute and now live in St Paul.
Since as long as I can remember, but I didn't become a hardcore twins specific fan until I was maybe 12 or so (more a ninja turtles fan before that point to be honest.)
"And we'll see you tomorrow night!" Always gives me chills, but just as much I have loved every spring training and minor league trip I have made to see players and the teams.
Brad Radke, Corey Koskie, Joe Mauer, learning as much as I can about Harmon Killebrew. Non twins; Buck O'Neil, Roger Clemens (pre cheating allegations) Lou Gehrig (or moreso hearing stories about him with my grandpa) and arguing Griffey is better than Bonds with my cousin.
I came to twinsdaily because I loved reading Seth's site and Aaron Gleeman's. I've loved getting to read more information because of this site, and in the past year I have started to comment some too.
Daily, multiple times daily. Talking about baseball and the twins is a passion of mine, and a good release from real life once in a while. I appreciate having this site for many reasons

How did I miss Radke... I wouldn't go to the Dome if he wasn't pitching for a few years there...
  • Cory Engelhardt likes this

#23 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

a twins fan since the early '60s, my boyhood favorites included tony o and mudcat grant. i witnessed a massive upper-deck harmon homer among many games at the met and still recall racing out of my grade-school classroom only to hear the wrenching news on the street: the twins had lost game seven to the great koufax.

much of my iron-range youth was spent playing baseball with and against movie stars (slapshot) and olympic gold medalists (more hockey), which taught me at a young age that my abilities were a notch below major-league caliber. my college career flamed out before it began, but i wound up in the press box writing about mlb (and most other sports, prep to pro) for 10 years.

i saw six world series games at the dome -- including two game sixes and two game sevens -- and my favorite team won them all. living in nyc in '91, i scored tix from a friend in the twins front office who was impressed that, on a hunch, i'd made airline reservations months in advance.

for the last 20-plus seasons, i've been in portland, oregon -- where i played 15 years of adult baseball with and against a significant sprinkling of former minor and major leaguers, which allowed me to pitch 500+ innings but reconfirmed that my abilities were a notch below big-league caliber. now, five years "retired," i check out twins daily, well, daily. how lucky are we?

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 11 others like this

#24 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

Infrequent poster, but frequent reader. I grew up on a farm in Verndale MN (near Wadena above, via PDX). Went to Concordia College and played a little baseball there (similar to Seth) but hurt my shoulder and it became clear that no one was going to be paying me to play baseball for a living :) . Ended up going to medical school and becoming an orthopedic surgeon. Have lived in several parts of the US through my training/career. Did a sports medicine fellowship with James Andrews, which affords me some insight into baseball injuries and the like. I was in practice at the University of South Carolina (go Cocks!) for three years when I had an opportunity to return to Minnesota and join a practice in the Twin Cities area this year. My wife is from Iowa, so it was a good opportunity for us, and we took it. 

I was a sports (and specifically baseball) nut from birth, so have been a Twins fan essentially my whole life. For just about anyone my age (mid 30's), Kirby is an easy choice for favorite Twin. I was pretty young in '87 and '91, but can clearly remember screaming my head off after game 7 in '87 (along with my parents, while watching on TV way past my bedtime) and after Kirby's game 6 in '91. I also loved Shane Mack and Knoblauch. 

Because I've lived outside of Minnesota for so long, I've never actually been to a game at Target Field (yet). I went to a few games at the Dome growing up, but I don't have any specific memories of the games (other than I know I've never seen the Twins win a game in person in Minnesota- though I did see a 16-10 Twins win in Milwaukee years ago). 

I've been reading Twins Daily since it started as a way to stay up to date on the Twins, since I didn't get to see many games living elsewhere. I especially enjoy the discussion of minor leaguers. I did get to watch Sano and Buxton in Chattanooga a couple years back- Sano hit a homer and bungled a play at third, Buxton hit a triple. Man, he's fast. Hard to appreciate on TV.

I stop by TD daily, and probably read about 3/4 of the posts/articles. I really enjoy the differing points of view and (mostly) respectful (and often amusing) discussion. Thanks to Seth for starting this thread, I really  have enjoyed 'getting to know' several frequent posters a little better. Thanks!

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 11 others like this

#25 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,290 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

Infrequent poster, but frequent reader. I grew up on a farm in Verndale MN (near Wadena above, via PDX). Went to Concordia College and played a little baseball there (similar to Seth) but hurt my shoulder and it became clear that no one was going to be paying me to play baseball for a living :) . Ended up going to medical school and becoming an orthopedic surgeon. Have lived in several parts of the US through my training/career. Did a sports medicine fellowship with James Andrews, which affords me some insight into baseball injuries and the like. I was in practice at the University of South Carolina (go Cocks!) for three years when I had an opportunity to return to Minnesota and join a practice in the Twin Cities area this year. My wife is from Iowa, so it was a good opportunity for us, and we took it.
I was a sports (and specifically baseball) nut from birth, so have been a Twins fan essentially my whole life. For just about anyone my age (mid 30's), Kirby is an easy choice for favorite Twin. I was pretty young in '87 and '91, but can clearly remember screaming my head off after game 7 in '87 (along with my parents, while watching on TV way past my bedtime) and after Kirby's game 6 in '91. I also loved Shane Mack and Knoblauch.
Because I've lived outside of Minnesota for so long, I've never actually been to a game at Target Field (yet). I went to a few games at the Dome growing up, but I don't have any specific memories of the games (other than I know I've never seen the Twins win a game in person in Minnesota- though I did see a 16-10 Twins win in Milwaukee years ago).
I've been reading Twins Daily since it started as a way to stay up to date on the Twins, since I didn't get to see many games living elsewhere. I especially enjoy the discussion of minor leaguers. I did get to watch Sano and Buxton in Chattanooga a couple years back- Sano hit a homer and bungled a play at third, Buxton hit a triple. Man, he's fast. Hard to appreciate on TV.
I stop by TD daily, and probably read about 3/4 of the posts/articles. I really enjoy the differing points of view and (mostly) respectful (and often amusing) discussion. Thanks to Seth for starting this thread, I really have enjoyed 'getting to know' several frequent posters a little better. Thanks!

And we've certainly appreciated your knowledgeable input and perspective over the years on baseball injuries, specifically TJ surgery!
  • USAFChief, Blake, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#26 King

King

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

I just wanted to say that I'm 19 years old. All of a sudden feeling really young. 

Edited by King, 31 December 2016 - 01:31 PM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 15 others like this

#27 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,849 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

I just wanted to say that I'm 19 years old. All of a sudden feeling really young.

Just roll with it. :)
  • Riverbrian, Platoon and Vanimal46 like this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#28 RichReese

RichReese

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

Age 64 - grew up in Twin Cities. Due to poor skating ability, sent to Iowa. Fan since 1961. Favorites include, but not limited to: Tovar, Allison, Pascual, Reese. Attended 1965 All Star Game (Mom wrote in for 4 tickets and got them). Ushered in 1968 ($4 per game). Only once had box seats - a Friday in August 1971 against Baltimore. Killebrew should have sprung for box seats for me on a permanent basis. Enjoy TD a lot. Thanks.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 13 others like this

#29 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

I'll post my stuff later, but I just wanted to respond to a previous poster (you know who you are):

Atheism, Communism, Free Love

• USAFChief, Blake, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#30 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

I'll post my stuff later, but I just wanted to respond to a previous poster (you know who you are):

Atheism, Communism, Free Love

Ha!

The Communism part didn't work out so well, but the others are going strong! :)

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, Blake and 4 others like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#31 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,244 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

You?  I'm learning I've hung around with a bunch of geezers for like 15 years now....

• USAFChief, Blake, nicksaviking and 7 others like this

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

18/F/CA looking to meet new friends

Let's Skype sometime...
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, Blake and 10 others like this

#33 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

And we've certainly appreciated your knowledgeable input and perspective over the years on baseball injuries, specifically TJ surgery!

Thank you ChiTown, I enjoy contributing where I can. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, Blake and 1 other like this

#34 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Grew up in Mankato, MN, spent a couple years in St. Louis Park before bolting south. Been living in Austin, TX for nearly 3 years.

26 years old.... with my current back injury feeling more like 86.

It wasn't really the Twins, per say that got me into baseball. I was 8 years old in 1998, and the McGwire/Sosa HR race was a daily read for me in the paper/Baseball Tonight. Went to my first Twins game that I can remember when Bob Tewksbury was chucking beach balls down the plate.

Favorite Twins..... Johan Santana, Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer (the catcher)

Favorite Twins memories.... 2003 playoff win against Oakland. The incredible 2nd half comeback in 2006 to win the division on the last game of the regular season.

Heard about TD while listening to KFAN. John mentioned the site on the morning show, and I was looking for a place to keep me attached to the motherland. Chief was just starting his over/under wins contest and the rest is history! You'll see me here on a near daily basis.

For the lurkers who may be afraid to get started, my advice is to jump right in! Whatever your interests are: Twins, minor leagues, MLB in general, food, TV, or spewing SCORCHING HOT sports takes, you'll find it here!
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, Seth Stohs, USAFChief and 10 others like this

#35 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,290 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

You?  I'm learning I've hung around with a bunch of geezers for like 15 years now....

Yeah, and I had the pleasure of watching you all grow up! Well, most of you anyway ... ;)
  • USAFChief, Blake, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#36 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

Don't worry, we millenials will stick together against these baby boomers!
  • Blake, Riverbrian, Platoon and 1 other like this

#37 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,849 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

I give you the long run advantage.
  • USAFChief, Blake, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#38 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,338 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

A. You are probably smarter than the rest of us

B. Please stay because you are vital to keeping our demographic average in a more sell-able range. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, Blake and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#39 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,338 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

I absolutely loved watching Ben Revere play the game and he quickly became one of my favorite Twins ever.

I was going to edit my post to include Ben Revere in my top 5 but then I realized that forgetting him probably means he doesn't belong.

So I'm going to keep him at 6.

I also didn't put my Favorite Memory and that was the Hrbek Game 6 Grand Slam. His Arms straight out as he rounded the bases was double special because my arms were doing the same thing.

Future favorite memory: I was at Tiger Stadium and I saw Byron Buxton hit his very first MLB Home Run.  

• USAFChief and goulik like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#40 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,845 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

I hate to break this to you, but in King's eyes, you and me are in the same age group.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, Thrylos, Blake and 4 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.