Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Stop By, Say Hi (Get To Know Us)

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#221 bighat

bighat

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCentral America

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Where are you from: Born and raised in southwest Minneapolis.  Lived and worked in Chicago for about 15 years after college.  I got a new career working 100% online, so I moved to Central America a few years ago and now live in the Sierra Madre de Chiapas mountain range.  Watch every Twins game on MLB.TV, and during commercial breaks I watch a volcano shoot fire and brimstone out the window.  
What is your age: 40-45
Favorite Twins Memories:  1987 and 1991 World Series Championships.  I was lucky enough to attend Game 7 in 1991!  

Who have some of your favorite players been?  Puckett, of course.  Al Newman, Junior Ortiz, Torii Hunter, Johan Santana, Frankie Liriano, Jaque Jones, Justin Morneau.
How long have you been reading Twins Daily: New to the site this year.  Used to comment on the Reddit thread but found it too snarky. 
What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?  Daily.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Seth Stohs, USAFChief and 5 others like this

#222 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Where are you from: Born and raised in southwest Minneapolis.  Lived and worked in Chicago for about 15 years after college.  I got a new career working 100% online, so I moved to Central America a few years ago and now live in the Sierra Madre de Chiapas mountain range.  Watch every Twins game on MLB.TV, and during commercial breaks I watch a volcano shoot fire and brimstone out the window.  
Favorite Twins Memories:  1987 and 1991 World Series Championships.  I was lucky enough to attend Game 7 in 1991!  

Who have some of your favorite players been?  Puckett, of course.  Al Newman, Junior Ortiz, Torii Hunter, Johan Santana, Frankie Liriano, Jaque Jones, Justin Morneau.
How long have you been reading Twins Daily: New to the site this year.  Used to comment on the Reddit thread but found it too snarky. 

how has the adjustment been? we talked about such a move, but it probably won't happen now that we bought my wife a business.....

• bighat likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#223 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win! Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 16,858 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hi, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster.  Love the TD site and the forums. 

I was born in Edina but my family were missionaries in South America so I had little direct exposure to sports growing up but we happened to come back to the US in 1987/88 and 1990/1991.  That happened to nicely coincide with both WS wins and while the 87 series is a minor memory (I was 6), the 91 series just captured my heart and made me a fan for life.  

I moved to the Seattle area in 1998 and have kept up with the Twins mostly with various live-update boxscore apps or websites 'cause I'm too poor to buy the TV packages.  I have been enjoying in recent years the radio apps that let me listen to the games (honestly I love baseball on radio).  

TD has been a resource for me for years as I look to it for insightful analysis on my favorite team since I can rarely watch the games live to get a personal feel for it.  

Where are you from: Currently in Seattle area. 
What is your age: 35-40
Favorite Twins Memories:Game 6 91 World Series.
Who have some of your favorite players been?Puckett, Hrbek, Hunter, Pierzynski, Santana.  
How long have you been reading Twins Daily: 3 years or so.
What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?During the season, daily.  Mostly for the in depth insight on my team. 

Excellent! Y'all need to join us for a game thread some time. You jump in there, you'll find yourselves jumping in everywhere ... :)

• bighat and fluger like this

#224 bighat

bighat

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCentral America

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

how has the adjustment been? we talked about such a move, but it probably won't happen now that we bought my wife a business.....

I live in Guatemala. After 3 years it's "home" now.  I had a pretty good grasp of Spanish already, and had traveled to almost every country in the region multiple times before moving down here.  There are always other expats and locals who will help you out in the beginning - I'd certainly recommend moving abroad if you ever get the inkling.  Lots of retirees just love it.  I am outside in a short and t-shirt 365 days per year, have a banana tree in the back yard.  Cheap prices on just about everything.  Good food.  Drive an hour to the Pacific Ocean for a beach break, or take a short cheap flight to Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia etc when you need to renew your travel Visa.  

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Thrylos, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

#225 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

I STINK at languages....would be a real challenge for me. My kids are fluent in Spanish, but I just struggle with it...

welcome to the site.

• ChiTownTwinsFan and bighat like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#226 fluger

fluger

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Excellent! Y'all need to join us for a game thread some time. You jump in there, you'll find yourselves jumping in everywhere ... :)

Sounds good!  I usually actually read them if I'm listening on my computer.  I'm too casual of a fan to offer any deep insights so I like reading what others write.  

• Vanimal46 likes this

#227 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win! Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Sounds good!  I usually actually read them if I'm listening on my computer.  I'm too casual of a fan to offer any deep insights so I like reading what others write.

I just don't think 'deep insights' and 'game threads' go together in the same sentence. Kind of an oxymoron really.
  • ashburyjohn, Craig Arko, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#228 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,178 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

Kind of an oxymoron really.

Don't know why, but the word oxymoron always reminds me of this:

0aCAh0g58L7Hm_4.jpg

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Blake and 4 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#229 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

You're going to fit in just fine during game threads I host! We only allow hawt taeks, observations of fans in the stands, and talk concession stand food! 

• Blake likes this

#230 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

I got a new career working 100% online

Wait.... are YOU the one who's behind the "I made 135k last month working from home! All you need to do is click this link and enter your bank information" I see in every comment section on the interwebs? 

• Blake, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 3 others like this

#231 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

1st place......or bust.

• Twins Mods
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

Sounds good! I usually actually read them if I'm listening on my computer. I'm too casual of a fan to offer any deep insights so I like reading what others write.

Two rules in game threads, no talking about baseball and no deep insights.

Jump on in!
  • Blake likes this

#232 benny

benny

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

Growing up in Warren Minnesota 6 hours from the cities I was not automatically a fan of Twin Cities teams (Sioux and Bison over Gophers any day. More likely to find the Blue Bombers on TV than the North Stars.)

I am 47 so being a youth in the 70's, I leaned more Dodgers than Twins until Kirby won me over. 86 was my first year seriously watching baseball. '87 I watched or listened to every regular season game. That's the only year I have ever done that.

Favorite memories? First game (first time to Minneapolis) June 87. Nosebleed seats but we won despite Bruno striking out with bases loaded (Puckett, Hrbek, Gaeti on base) in the 12th. Both World Series. Thome and the flag pole. Chatting with Terry Ryan at a Spring Training game. (Really humble down to Earth guy. Wish he'd done a better job) 3rd row scalped ticket to watch Arcia's first HR on snow day in May

Favorite players:
Puckett
Gladden
Viola
Berenguer
Peirzinsky
Mientkeweicz
Larkin
Koskie
Morneau
Arcia
Buxton

I've been following TD from the beginning but don't know when I started speaking up. I am all geeked out on MiLB and the Twins. Love going to Cedar Rapids. To me, TD is the best source of the info I enjoy so I am on here multiple times a day. It's my hobby bordering on obsession.

The Minnesota Twins are an American professional baseball team based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Twins compete in Major League Baseball (MLB) as a member club of the American League (AL) Central division. The team is named after the Twin Cities area comprising Minneapolis and St. Paul. They played in Metropolitan Stadium from 1961 to 1981 and the Hubert H. Humphrey Metronome from 1982 to 2009. They played their inaugural game at the newly completed Target Field on April 12, 2010.
The team was founded in Washington, D.C. in 1901 as one of the eight original teams of the American League, named the Washington Senators or Washington Nationals. Although the Washington team endured long bouts of mediocrity (immortalized in the 1955 Broadway musical Damn Yankees they had a period of prolonged success in the 1920s and 1930s, led by Baseball Hall of Fame members Bucky Harris, Goose Gosling, Sam Rice, Heine Manush, Joe Cronin, and above all Walter Johnson. Manager Clark Griffith joined the team in 1912 and became the team's owner in 1920. The franchise remained under Griffith family ownership until 1984.
In 1960, Major League Baseball granted the city of Minneapolis an expansion team. Washington owner Calvin Griffith, Clark's nephew and adopted son, requested that he be allowed to move his team to Minneapolis and instead give Washington the expansion team. Upon league approval, the team moved to Minnesota after the 1960 season, setting up shop in Metropolitan Stadium, while Washington fielded a brand new "Washington Senators" (which later became the Texas Rangers prior to the 1972 season).

#233 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Where are you from (be as specific as you are comfortable):

Virginia Beach

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer):
Mid 30s

How long have you been a Twins fan?

Since 1997. Which is weird I know, but there's a reason.... I was much more of a football and basketball fan when I was growing up. I started getting really into baseball because my high school baseball team was really good and had a couple of star players that were really fun to watch. I was working out with the football team a lot (but got hurt so I ended up not being able to play) but also worked out and had a few conversations with those star players. Can't really say we were "friends" but certainly acquaintances and occasional workout partners. Anyway, I realized as the season went on that there was quite a bit of hype that 2 of the players were very highly touted and likely to be drafted high in the MLB draft. When June came around, sure enough, two of those players did get drafted. In the first round - John Curtice... and Michael Cuddyer. I decided i wanted to actually start following pro ball after that - And I decided to start following the teams that those guys got drafted by. But since I hadn't had as much one on one interaction with Curtice and it seemed a little boring and stereotypical to root for the Red Sox, I decided that I'd rood for the Twins. And the rest is history... been a huge Twins fan ever since and still am to this day.

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been?

All of 2006, minus the playoffs. 

Who have some of your favorite players been?

Well, Cuddyer, obviously

Johan Santana

Justin Morneau

Pat Neshek

Lew Ford, because lulz

Francisco Liriano

Joe Nathan

Brian Dozier

Miguel Sano

Cory Koskie

Brad Radke

Eddie Guardado

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?

Only have checked in here once in a while.

What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?
Well, brings me "back" isn't really the right terminology, but I am here to see how the conversations go since the regular MLB boards don't seem to have as much activity as they used to... even though I really like those boards. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#234 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Virginia Beach

Mid 30s

Since 1997. Which is weird I know, but there's a reason.... I was much more of a football and basketball fan when I was growing up. I started getting really into baseball because my high school baseball team was really good and had a couple of star players that were really fun to watch. I was working out with the football team a lot (but got hurt so I ended up not being able to play) but also worked out and had a few conversations with those star players. Can't really say we were "friends" but certainly acquaintances and occasional workout partners. Anyway, I realized as the season went on that there was quite a bit of hype that 2 of the players were very highly touted and likely to be drafted high in the MLB draft. When June came around, sure enough, two of those players did get drafted. In the first round - John Curtice... and Michael Cuddyer. I decided i wanted to actually start following pro ball after that - And I decided to start following the teams that those guys got drafted by. But since I hadn't had as much one on one interaction with Curtice and it seemed a little boring and stereotypical to root for the Red Sox, I decided that I'd rood for the Twins. And the rest is history... been a huge Twins fan ever since and still am to this day.

All of 2006, minus the playoffs. 

Well, Cuddyer, obviously

Johan Santana

Justin Morneau

Pat Neshek

Lew Ford, because lulz

Francisco Liriano

Joe Nathan

Brian Dozier

Miguel Sano

Cory Koskie

Brad Radke

Eddie Guardado

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?

Only have checked in here once in a while.

Well, brings me "back" isn't really the right terminology, but I am here to see how the conversations go since the regular MLB boards don't seem to have as much activity as they used to... even though I really like those boards. 

Welcome aboard! I see you've found the other forums... Keep up the good work! 

• ChiTownTwinsFan and diehardtwinsfan like this

#235 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Where are you from: Born in St.Cloud.  Have lived in Winona since age 4 though.  Dick Bremer's wife Heidi  (then Larson) was my babysitter up there.  She and her family went to our church.

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer):  mid 40s

How long have you been a Twins fan?   I think the first game I attended was in 1978 or 79.  Somewhere, there is a picture of me with Larry Hisle (in a Brewer uniform) from "camera day".  So, since the last "great recession".

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been?  Attended last game at old Met, still have the framed ticket.  Attended a game during the 1991 streak with my high school baseball team (I was the mgr) during the state tournament. Our coach was (and still is) a pro baseball scout.  So, we had pretty good seats.  The only playoff games I attended were in 2002.  I still remember saying to the guys I was with for game 2 of the ALCS that we hoped the Twins didn't sweep in Anaheim so we could watch another game.  OOPS!  I also remember the day when "past a diving" Tony Batista and Juan "limp noodle" Castro were jettisoned in 2006.  It was the start of a Twins run that ranks among the best baseball played by any team for that length of time ever IMO.  I thought for sure that team was going to do something.  They had all the pieces.  

Who have some of your favorite players been?  I'll just pick the one because I like to tell stories, Brad Radke.  He was born about a month after me.  Now, I realize he lived most of his childhood in Florida, but he was born in Eau Claire.  Some people consider that an exurb of the Twin Cities, much as St. Cloud is.  Going back to that 2006 season, that final game.  That was tough.  You could see it in his eyes.  You knew his arm was being held together with duct tape and hope.  He left it all out there.  The announcement came later, but everyone watching knew he was done.  That day made me feel old.  I was a year out of college when Radke debuted after the 1995 lock out. It was right about that time that I moved into my first apartment (that's a long story, as if this isn't).  He was without a doubt the worst ace pitcher in the history of baseball.  But you know what, he took the limited ability he had, used some personal drive and determination and had himself a damned fine career.  Fun fact: Radke had a career 3.60 postseason ERA.  Johan Santana had a 3.97 career postseason ERA.  Not saying, just saying.

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?

Oh, about a week, I guess.  I was on BYTO back in the day.  Can't remember my most frequent username (I've been known to change it).  It might have been yarnivek - which is my first and middle name spelled backward.  I've also been on other forums, some better than others.  Guess that's why I am here, checking it out.  Looking for less personal drama and more actual baseball discussion.

• ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#236 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,769 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

Where are you from: Born in St.Cloud.  Have lived in Winona since age 4 though.  Dick Bremer's wife Heidi  (then Larson) was my babysitter up there.  She and her family went to our church.

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer):  mid 40s

How long have you been a Twins fan?   I think the first game I attended was in 1978 or 79.  Somewhere, there is a picture of me with Larry Hisle (in a Brewer uniform) from "camera day".  So, since the last "great recession".

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been?  Attended last game at old Met, still have the framed ticket.  Attended a game during the 1991 streak with my high school baseball team (I was the mgr) during the state tournament. Our coach was (and still is) a pro baseball scout.  So, we had pretty good seats.  The only playoff games I attended were in 2002.  I still remember saying to the guys I was with for game 2 of the ALCS that we hoped the Twins didn't sweep in Anaheim so we could watch another game.  OOPS!  I also remember the day when "past a diving" Tony Batista and Juan "limp noodle" Castro were jettisoned in 2006.  It was the start of a Twins run that ranks among the best baseball played by any team for that length of time ever IMO.  I thought for sure that team was going to do something.  They had all the pieces.  

Who have some of your favorite players been?  I'll just pick the one because I like to tell stories, Brad Radke.  He was born about a month after me.  Now, I realize he lived most of his childhood in Florida, but he was born in Eau Claire.  Some people consider that an exurb of the Twin Cities, much as St. Cloud is.  Going back to that 2006 season, that final game.  That was tough.  You could see it in his eyes.  You knew his arm was being held together with duct tape and hope.  He left it all out there.  The announcement came later, but everyone watching knew he was done.  That day made me feel old.  I was a year out of college when Radke debuted after the 1995 lock out. It was right about that time that I moved into my first apartment (that's a long story, as if this isn't).  He was without a doubt the worst ace pitcher in the history of baseball.  But you know what, he took the limited ability he had, used some personal drive and determination and had himself a damned fine career.  Fun fact: Radke had a career 3.60 postseason ERA.  Johan Santana had a 3.97 career postseason ERA.  Not saying, just saying.

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?

Oh, about a week, I guess.  I was on BYTO back in the day.  Can't remember my most frequent username (I've been known to change it).  It might have been yarnivek - which is my first and middle name spelled backward.  I've also been on other forums, some better than others.  Guess that's why I am here, checking it out.  Looking for less personal drama and more actual baseball discussion.

Welcome Kevin. I recognized the name, but couldn't remember if you were only BYTO or if you migrated to Twins Daily.

#237 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,433 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

You're going to fit in just fine during game threads I host! We only allow hawt taeks, observations of fans in the stands, and talk concession stand food! 

just a correction, but I do believe that's observations of attractive female fans in the stands...

#238 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 14,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

just a correction, but I do believe that's observations of attractive female fans in the stands...

Unless you are referring to an inside joke I am forgetting, I'm pretty sure the observations may also objectify beer bellies, bad haircuts, unfortunate Hawaiian shirts, and overly preppy people on expense accounts in the luxury seats, to name but just a few.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, twinsnorth49 and Vanimal46 like this

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

#239 Yoke

Yoke

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Champlin, MN

Since I was small, minus 93-97 when I was a White Sox fan (but still kind of followed the Twins). When you're a kid, and you play 1B, are you going with Frank Thomas or Kent Hrbek/David McCarty/Scott Stahoviak. Saw the light around 99 and came back to the Twins.

When they won game 163 was a lot of fun, but honestly the best Twins memories are getting GA upper deck seats with buddies and hanging out at the games. Put down a lot of dollar dogs. I should be fat.Thank goodness for metabolism.

Everyone around my age was a Kirby Puckett fan. I really liked Frank Thomas, and then Justin Morneau. I don't really have a favorite player at this point. I like players who are fun to watch, or make you say "oh damn!" Buxton and Sano make me do that the most often now.

I've been coming to Twins Daily since the very beginning, but I decided to start posting more often the other day. I started logging in so I could put a couple people on ignore and not have to see their posts. If I'm logged in, I might as well post :)

I started coming here because I read Seth's blog. I like to read about the minor league teams/players, because their isn't enough coverage on them. I can watch the games and everything I need to see about the Twins, but stories about the minor league players are something I can't find anywhere else.

The minor league reports get me here every morning. I read every one of those. I stop by a couple times a day to check out the forums. I read all of Seth and Parker's articles. Sometimes if one from someone else looks interesting, I'll read that, too.

• ashburyjohn, Mike Sixel, Craig Arko and 1 other like this

#240 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win! Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Champlin, MN

Since I was small, minus 93-97 when I was a White Sox fan (but still kind of followed the Twins). When you're a kid, and you play 1B, are you going with Frank Thomas or Kent Hrbek/David McCarty/Scott Stahoviak. Saw the light around 99 and came back to the Twins.

When they won game 163 was a lot of fun, but honestly the best Twins memories are getting GA upper deck seats with buddies and hanging out at the games. Put down a lot of dollar dogs. I should be fat.Thank goodness for metabolism.

Everyone around my age was a Kirby Puckett fan. I really liked Frank Thomas, and then Justin Morneau. I don't really have a favorite player at this point. I like players who are fun to watch, or make you say "oh damn!" Buxton and Sano make me do that the most often now.

I've been coming to Twins Daily since the very beginning, but I decided to start posting more often the other day. I started logging in so I could put a couple people on ignore and not have to see their posts. If I'm logged in, I might as well post :)

I started coming here because I read Seth's blog. I like to read about the minor league teams/players, because their isn't enough coverage on them. I can watch the games and everything I need to see about the Twins, but stories about the minor league players are something I can't find anywhere else.

The minor league reports get me here every morning. I read every one of those. I stop by a couple times a day to check out the forums. I read all of Seth and Parker's articles. Sometimes if one from someone else looks interesting, I'll read that, too.

Glad to have you aboard. And yes, that ignore feature can come in handy from time to time. ;)

If you are into the minor leaguers, check out the Adopt-a-Prospect forum. Perhaps once you get into posting and participating more, you might want to consider contributing to this forum.

And as always, one of the best ways to 'hit the ground running' at this site is to join in on a game thread or two (or three or four). For someone like me who is out of market, it can feel a bit like I'm at the local watering hole watching the games with the crew. Discussion can go far astray of topic, but it usually swerves in and out, and of course there is plenty of cheering or cursing depending on the play at hand. So just jump in, anytime.

• Yoke likes this