Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Stop By, Say Hi (Get To Know Us)

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#201 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

The Dome was packed, and a win would mean first place with a week left in the regular season. In the final inning, Span tripled and Casilla knocked him in with a blooper over the infield to win it. The place erupted. Excellent memory that I'm glad I was able to share with my dad. 

Yeah,I was there too. Absolutely electric.

Thanks for being here.

• GP830 likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#202 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Yeah,I was there too. Absolutely electric.

Thanks for being here.

Was that 08 or 09???

#203 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Was that 08 or 09???

Had to be 2009 when we beat the Tigers in game 163.

We didn't make the post-season in 2008.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#204 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

Where are you from (be as specific as you are comfortable):

From a little west of the Twin Cities just outside the 'suburbs,' confident in saying it's the longest town name in Minnesota. My drivers license refers to it as "NYA." Spent my college years in Fargo, ND. Go Bison!

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer):

How long have you been a Twins fan?

Since as long as I can remember. The Twins being in two World Series when you're a kid will do that to you. Kirby was my hero. Played 2B and wore #11 because of Chuck Knoblauch. I have yet to forgive my parents for refusing to take me to the WS game they went to in '91 (pretty sure they didn't have a ticket for me, but that's just details...).

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been?

Being at Game 163. The 2 World Series. "We'll see you tomorrow night!" Meeting Miguel Sano and getting his autograph thanks to Tommy Watkins at Spring Training. Going to Spring Training 5 straight years (will be my 2nd year in a row not going this year, and now I'm depressed...). The Soul Patrol. Seeing Byron Buxton's first major league hit in person in St. Louis.

Who have some of your favorite players been?

The answer is Kirby Puckett. There really is no other answer, but also Chuck Knoblauch, Brad Radke, Johan Santana, Shane Mack, Torii Hunter. As I've evolved since I began blogging back about 2005, I'm a much bigger fan of prospects while they are prospects than anyone on the MLB team. Max Kepler has been my favorite to follow coming up.

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?

Since the beginning. Seth and I go back pretty far and he was gracious enough to point readers to my work that was elsewhere at the time, and to invite me to contribute to his own topics before TD existed. Even (finger quotes) autographed (/finger quotes) my name in one of his prospect handbooks when I advised a fellow fan (and fellow Twins Daily-er) that I had written something that was in it while at ST one year.

Fairly certain I struck out Parker in Town Ball once. Pretty sure my team lost that game, though.

Have also known Nick and John from well before TD's inception through blogging and other means. I am 'infamous' to John because of my GF, after a TD-event, telling a guy with a knife outside the bar "If you're going to stab someone, stab me!!!" (The confusion tactic worked...)

What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?

I am a contributor to the site, and stop by every day. It is my coffee.

Edited by Steve Lein, 13 February 2017 - 04:26 PM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Thrylos, Blake and 4 others like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#205 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

We went to game 163 against Chi in 08. In fact, this game was just referenced in the Broadcaster thread for the amazing Carlos Gomez- Telly Hughes interview that immediately followed the game. 

#206 Walter's Whites

Walter's Whites

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

As 2016 comes to an end and we all look forward to 2017, I thought it would be good to put out a thread to get to know each other a little bit. Obviously we all are strong, passionate Twins fans, but we're obviously more than that. We obviously want people to respect each other and sometimes remembering that we're all people, with feelings and families and more.

I also want those that are new to Twins Daily in the last year to leave a quick comment as well, especially if you've been more of a lurker who just likes to read the articles and take in what others are doing . I'd be looking for the following, and you can use this as a template.

Where are you from (be as specific as you are comfortable): 

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer):

How long have you been a Twins fan?

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been?

Who have some of your favorite players been?

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?

What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?

Share whatever you like. 

1. I am from Montevideo, MN. It's a good town, but it's in the middle of nowhere.

2. I am 23 (Its crazy to start seeing people younger than me playing MLB).

3. I've been a Twins as long as I can remember. It's hard sometimes (especially this whole decade), but I'm not leaving the bandwagon.

4. My favorite memory is the last game of 06 watching Mauer win the batting title and winning the division on the last day of the season. The Dome was electric that day. By far the best game I've been to. Another is taking trips to Kansas City with my dad before Target Field opened. It made watching games in the Dome seem unbearable. To anyone who hasn't gone to Kansas City: Go, its an amazing place to watch a ballgame. Another favorite memory is Game 163. I don't think I need to explain why that was a favorite memory of mine.

5. My favorite players: Harmon and Rod Carew are my favorite old ones, just because I've gotten to meet them and they seemed like class act guys. Torii Hunter, Jacque Jones and Doug Mientkiewicz (spelling?) were my favorite early 2000's Twins. Currently, I don't really have a favorite player. Maybe when we start winning again.

6. I've been reading TwinsDaily for probably about 2 years.

7. I check out TwinsDaily almost everyday. They have good coverage of the Twins and they have a lot of interesting talking points. I also get bored at work a lot, so it's nice to read some Twins articles at work.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Thrylos, Blake and 5 others like this

#207 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

Was that 08 or 09???

I'm pretty sure it was 2008. It was when we were neck-and-neck with the White Sox, losing in game 163 by a 1-0 score as the result of a monster blast by Thome.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#208 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

I'm pretty sure it was 2008. It was when we were neck-and-neck with the White Sox, losing in game 163 by a 1-0 score as the result of a monster blast by Thome.

As soon as I read that I was sure you were right.

The game I remember was this one

Casilla singled in Punto. They had intentionally walked Span.

Punto scored from third for a walk-off in the 10th.

Same game or not? Games like that are pretty exciting.

• GP830 and bighat like this

- Abraham Lincoln

#209 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,645 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

I'll call my epic "The Long and Winding Road."

I was born, though Mom uses another term, which I shan't repeat, eons ago, (Chief, are you taking notes?) in the redneck town of Bakersfield, CA. At age 4, I moved to the coast and lived in Morro Bay, CA for the next 14 years. The very first baseball game I attended was an Angels game at Anaheim stadium before they reconfigured the stadium. Or, my memory is faulty and it wasn't really a giant bowl when I was there in the sixties. 

Due to being a complete miscreant as a teenager, I wound up being shipped off to live with relatives in MN. 

Yeah, that first winter was a shock. However, I recovered to the point I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt any time it was above 35 and sunny.

I wound up falling in with a bad crowd that introduced me to the Twins and I first became serious about the Twins during spring training of 1987. Yeah, that was great timing on my part. I was and still am, I suppose, somewhere between a casual and serious fan of Twins baseball. 

I started out working in a factory, assembling widgets and moved from there to welding together the parts for the widget assemblers.

Somewhere along the way I got married, had kids, got divorced, got tired of MN winters and moved to AZ. I loved living in AZ. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Along the way, I got some training in computers and changed what I do for a living.

After the death of my father, I realized it was time to head back to CA to look after mom, who, like all of us, isn't getting any younger. So, back to Bakersfield.

Now, happily remarried to a lovely and incredibly patient woman who lets me indulge my passion for baseball and the shooting sports, life is good. On top of that, for whatever reason, TD allows me to write game threads, which I thoroughly enjoy. Though, fair warning, allowing me to write game threads might be somewhat akin to giving an arsonist matches and gasoline.

My favorite Twins moments?

Laudner and Gaetti picking off Darrell Evans.

Pucket putting the Twins into game 7..

leading to the greatest pitching performance I've ever witnessed, Jack Morris in that epic Game 7.

Brian Dozier hitting the home run that completed the comeback against the Tigers in 2015. (Jim Thome against the Sox gets honorable mention)

I am in and out when it comes to TD. I started out on the Stribs comment boards but they got boring, unless, of course, there was a new installment of Batgirl and LegoVision. I'm not sure how I stumbled across TD, but, I'm here.

Deal. :)

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Thrylos, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#210 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 3,645 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

Some of our best material is in the game threads! So what if we veer off into discussing school lunches, or things that are green.... Enjoy the journey! 

Things that are green and school lunches are one in the same, aren't they? 

I think you need more of a contrast: say, school lunches, bed time, nap time, pre-nap time along with the occasional segue into "Casa Blanca."

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Vanimal46 and bighat like this

#211 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 3,645 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

Bat girl....the TD owners need to figure out a way to get her to do the occasional guest article.There's a name I haven't read in some time...

Hah, it's funny, but, I was really late to this thread and mentioned bat girl during my musings also.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers her.

#212 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

1. I am from Montevideo, MN. It's a good town, but it's in the middle of nowhere.

2. I am 23 (Its crazy to start seeing people younger than me playing MLB).

3. I've been a Twins as long as I can remember. It's hard sometimes (especially this whole decade), but I'm not leaving the bandwagon.

4. My favorite memory is the last game of 06 watching Mauer win the batting title and winning the division on the last day of the season. The Dome was electric that day. By far the best game I've been to. Another is taking trips to Kansas City with my dad before Target Field opened. It made watching games in the Dome seem unbearable. To anyone who hasn't gone to Kansas City: Go, its an amazing place to watch a ballgame. Another favorite memory is Game 163. I don't think I need to explain why that was a favorite memory of mine.

5. My favorite players: Harmon and Rod Carew are my favorite old ones, just because I've gotten to meet them and they seemed like class act guys. Torii Hunter, Jacque Jones and Doug Mientkiewicz (spelling?) were my favorite early 2000's Twins. Currently, I don't really have a favorite player. Maybe when we start winning again.

6. I've been reading TwinsDaily for probably about 2 years.

7. I check out TwinsDaily almost everyday. They have good coverage of the Twins and they have a lot of interesting talking points. I also get bored at work a lot, so it's nice to read some Twins articles at work.

Great way to break the ice here Walter. Nice job and I hope to see you continue contributing to the forums!

#213 TheGiantTeapot

TheGiantTeapot

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMinnesota's "Little Sweden"... yeum...

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

As 2016 comes to an end and we all look forward to 2017, I thought it would be good to put out a thread to get to know each other a little bit. Obviously we all are strong, passionate Twins fans, but we're obviously more than that. We obviously want people to respect each other and sometimes remembering that we're all people, with feelings and families and more.

I also want those that are new to Twins Daily in the last year to leave a quick comment as well, especially if you've been more of a lurker who just likes to read the articles and take in what others are doing . I'd be looking for the following, and you can use this as a template.

Where are you from (be as specific as you are comfortable): The Land of the Giant Teapot (Lindstrom MN)

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer): Stopped counting a while ago, if that tells you anything

How long have you been a Twins fan? Since I was a little kid

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been? One of my earliest memories is sitting on my parents living room floor and seeing my mother crying by the light of our old black & white TV. My dad had to explain to me that the Twins had just lost the World Series. I was 3.

Who have some of your favorite players been? So many... Killebrew, Oliva, Kaat, Carew, Hrbek, Gaetti, Gladden, etc. etc.

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)? I don't remember dates but I know I was a fairly dedicated Twins Geek follower. Batgirl too. Still miss the Lego game recaps!

What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site? I've been lurking for years. Thought it was time I stepped up to let you guys know how much I appreciate the site and all the work that goes into it.

Share whatever you like. I just love the beauty of baseball. Never been a stat guy beyond the basics. If you try to make me understand WAR and BABIP I will run into traffic. Not saying newer metrics don't have value - they clearly do. I just don't have the mental stamina to grasp them.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 7 others like this

#214 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

Welcome aboard Teapot, hope you continue to share your thoughts on our favorite team!

• TheGiantTeapot likes this

#215 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,926 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

(Jim Thome against the Sox gets honorable mention)

The video of that HR never gets old.One of my favorite Hawk Harrelson moments.Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find it online anymore :(

#216 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

The video of that HR never gets old.One of my favorite Hawk Harrelson moments.Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find it online anymore :(

I miss good baseball.

• Twins33 likes this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#217 emoe76

emoe76

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

Hello everyone, I am a Twins fan from Bismarck, ND.  35 years old. I've been a Twins fan for as long as I can remember.  Some of my best memories as a fan would have to be growing up in ND listening to Herb Carneal and John Gordon call the games on the radio and get disappointed during night games when the signal would get weak.  My dad taught me how to keep score and there I was sitting by the radio with a scorebook and a pen (no pencil for me).  I still keep score today while watching Dick and Bert call the games on FSN. 

As far as favorite Twins players, I gotta go with Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek.  There was just something magical about Kirby and who can forget about his catch against the glass in the 91 World Series.  

I discovered Twins Daily last season and, to be honest, I'm more of a reader than a writer.  I like this site because it seems like logical Twins discussion with no "trolls". 

Have a fun season everyone! Go Twins!

Edited by emoe76, 07 April 2017 - 11:33 AM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, Thrylos and 6 others like this

#218 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,809 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

Hello everyone, I am a Twins fan from Bismarck, ND.  35 years old. I've been a Twins fan for as long as I can remember.  Some of my best memories as a fan would have to be growing up in ND listening to Herb Carneal and John Gordon call the games on the radio and get disappointed during night games when the signal would get weak.  My dad taught me how to keep score and there I was sitting by the radio with a scorebook and a pen (no pencil for me).  I still keep score today while watching Dick and Bert call the games on FSN. 

As far as favorite Twins players, I gotta go with Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek.  There was just something magical about Kirby and who can forget about his catch against the glass in the 91 World Series.  

I discovered Twins Daily last season and, to be honest, I'm more of a reader than a writer.  I like this site because it seems like logical Twins discussion with no "trolls". 

Have a fun season everyone! Go Twins!

Welcome! You should join us for a game thread some time ... just jump in anywhere!

• nicksaviking and emoe76 like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#219 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Welcome! You should join us for a game thread some time ... just jump in anywhere!

Except in the game threads, everyone's a troll.

Somehow it works there though!

• Mike Sixel and spinowner like this

#220 fluger

fluger

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hi, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster.  Love the TD site and the forums. 

I was born in Edina but my family were missionaries in South America so I had little direct exposure to sports growing up but we happened to come back to the US in 1987/88 and 1990/1991.  That happened to nicely coincide with both WS wins and while the 87 series is a minor memory (I was 6), the 91 series just captured my heart and made me a fan for life.  

I moved to the Seattle area in 1998 and have kept up with the Twins mostly with various live-update boxscore apps or websites 'cause I'm too poor to buy the TV packages.  I have been enjoying in recent years the radio apps that let me listen to the games (honestly I love baseball on radio).  

TD has been a resource for me for years as I look to it for insightful analysis on my favorite team since I can rarely watch the games live to get a personal feel for it.  

Where are you from: Currently in Seattle area. 
What is your age: 35-40
Favorite Twins Memories:Game 6 91 World Series.
Who have some of your favorite players been?Puckett, Hrbek, Hunter, Pierzynski, Santana.  
How long have you been reading Twins Daily: 3 years or so.
What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?During the season, daily.  Mostly for the in depth insight on my team. 

Edited by fluger, 07 April 2017 - 02:58 PM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, Thrylos and 3 others like this