Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Stop By, Say Hi (Get To Know Us)

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#181 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Bat girl....the TD owners need to figure out a way to get her to do the occasional guest article.There's a name I haven't read in some time...

Concur, x10.

#182 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

Bat girl.... the TD owners need to figure out a way to get her to do the occasional guest article. There's a name I haven't read in some time...

was that the one with lego pictures?

#183 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

I am 46 years old, married for 20+ years and live in Lakeville. We have two boys, one in HS and one in MS, so I spend most of my summer coaching baseball. As a result, I don't get to participate in the game threads as much as I would like. I am a HS Physics teacher and coached HS baseball for about 20 years. 

I have been following the Twins since I can remember. I remember having a black and white 13" TV that my parents used in our RV and putting it in my room so I could watch as many games as possible (back when they televised less than half the games). I remember being devastated going to my first game on a Sunday in '78 and seeing Craig Kusick playing 1B instead of Carew. I think I almost started crying when Calvin starting selling off the boys (Ford, Wynegar, Smalley, Carew,...). Our extended family (probably 20 or so) made a road trip to KC for a series in 1988 (everybody else in the family were suddenly interested in the Twins :) ). 

One of my favorite memories of watching Twins games was watching Cristian Guzman hit a triple. I don't think he was as fast as Buxton, but man could he fly around the bases. I think my favorite memory was Guzman scoring on a squeeze bunt. Big deal you say? Well, Guzman happened to be the batter. He was coming to the plate with a runner on third and less than two outs. I remember thinking that the Twins should squeeze bunt with Guzman up. Imagine my surprise when they actually did it!Guzman put down a good bunt, the fielder rushed his throw and threw it past 1B. I was watching the game with one of my friends and recall saying he might score. The ball ended up in the RF corner, the RF didn't play the ball well and Guzman came all the way around the bases to score.

My favorite players:Carew, Castino, Puckett, Koskie and Guzman.

The first blogger I probably read was Gleeman and then I migrated to Bones, Hageman, the Nicks, Seth and TwinkieTown. I started reading Twins Daily from the start and started posting in Oct 2012. I visit nearly daily, especially during the offseason. I truly appreciate what this site has become and enjoy reading the articles and forums immensely, even when they sometime devolve into somewhat silly/petty arguments.;)

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 9 others like this

#184 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,582 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

was that the one with lego pictures?

yes

#185 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

I think my favorite memory was Guzman scoring on a squeeze bunt. Big deal you say? Well, Guzman happened to be the batter. He was coming to the plate with a runner on third and less than two outs. I remember thinking that the Twins should squeeze bunt with Guzman up. Imagine my surprise when they actually did it!Guzman put down a good bunt, the fielder rushed his throw and threw it past 1B. I was watching the game with one of my friends and recall saying he might score. The ball ended up in the RF corner, the RF didn't play the ball well and Guzman came all the way around the bases to score.

That was fun. I remember watching that game on TV against Cleveland in 2001. The RF was Juan Gonzalez. He was over-muscled for some reason (in 2001? What could be the reason for that?) and as a result he had little flexibility to run or throw. Plus he didn't have much talent for fielding. I read the game story on the Plain Dealer web site the next day. The writer's opening was that the game was small ball vs big ball and small won in a big way.

• nicksaviking and Vanimal46 like this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#186 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

That was fun. I remember watching that game on TV against Cleveland in 2001. The RF was Juan Gonzalez. He was over-muscled for some reason (in 2001? What could be the reason for that?) and as a result he had little flexibility to run or throw. Plus he didn't have much talent for fielding. I read the game story on the Plain Dealer web site the next day. The writer's opening was that the game was small ball vs big ball and small won in a big way.

I was hoping somebody else remembered this.I still can't believe it happened.

#187 davidc3915

davidc3915

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hi there Twins Daily family,

I am a 5th grade Language Arts teacher in a Catholic school and I just recently turned 40.I was born in Evanston Illinois, and have lived in Chicago my entire life.In fact, I have never been to the Twin cities.

So, of course, this begs the question, "How the heck did I become a Twins fan?"I actually grew up a SF Giants fan due to an uncle that lives there who greatly influenced my sports team choices as a kid.

Enter 1987.Hometown boy Kirby Puckett and the Twins win a thrilling World Series (over the Cardinals, who eliminated the Giants BTW).I was energized by this series and was drawn into the Twins.Shortly afterward, I was placed on the Twins in Little League, and I thus associated myself with the World Champions. 

My first favorite Twins memories was when my all time favorite baseball player Dave Winfield reached 3000 hits in his hometown.I saved the newspaper clippings from that event.

My second favorite Twins memory is sadly a loss, but I attended a Twins/White Sox game in August of 1992 in which the final score was 19-11.The runs kept coming, and for a 16 year old kid, it was just a fun game to watch, in spite of the final score.I never felt out of it all the way up to the end.

My most recent favorite Twins memory involves Twins Daily.Many of us will remember that blissful day in the late spring of 2015 when the Twins were briefly tied for 1st, and the post game TD thread lit up with exuberance.I had so much fun reading everyone's reactions and making my own contributions was a joy (the students were given silent reading for a while....)

Puckett is an obvious early favorite, and i've already mentioned my admiration for Dave Winfield, but I also liked Tim Launder because he was a catcher and wore #15 just like me.I was a big Brad Radke fan, and Hunter was really fun to watch.I liked Mauer a bunch, and frankly still hold out hope......

I am very excited for Buxton's future as well as Sano, especially after watching the film made about him on NetFlix.

I found Gleeman and the Geek late in 2013, and have been a listener ever since.Thus, I checked out TD on John's recommendations and am on the site at least 2-3 times a day.

I value this site for its insight, the camaraderie, and the feeling I get that it's like a big extended family.Thank you for this site and thanks to everyone that contributes in any way.Happy 2017!

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 12 others like this

#188 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

yes

that was a good blog
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#189 Target Field of Dreams

Target Field of Dreams

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

Did you grow up in Roseville?

nope...grew up in Coon Rapids, but settled here a few years ago.

What if soy milk is just regular milk trying to introduce itself in Spanish?

#190 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

I have lived in the Twin Cities almost my entire life so I am definitely a Minnesotan. 

I've been a baseball fan for as long as I can remember - not sure why exactly since no one else in my family likes baseball. I guess it's just in my blood for some reason. I'm a Twins fan of course but I just love watching baseball in general. 

I was at game 6 of the 1991 World Series so it's pretty hard to top that as a memory. Also I was just talking with someone the other day about how time flies - I remember thinking opening day at Target Field would never get here and now the ballpark has been open for seven years...

My first "favorite" Twin growing up was Kent Hrbek. My second favorite Twin was Chuck Knoblauch (don't judge me...remember he was a great player once upon a time). I've liked most of the Twins players in recent years. 

I was a faithful reader of Gameday and other Twins blogs before Twins Daily started. 

I come back to Twins Daily because you can never get enough good baseball discussion! 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 8 others like this

#191 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual.

• USAFChief, LaBombo and Pardon My Dinger like this

Dressed in black, tossin' back a shot of rye.

#192 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win! Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,080 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

Chicks dig me

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that ...

• USAFChief, Blake, Craig Arko and 4 others like this

#193 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

I've been a Twins Fan/Baseball Fan since 1987. I was 11 going on twelve and a good friend who was telling me about Kirby Puckett in the offseason of 1986/1987 convinced me to give the game a shot. Before that I was into comic books and drawing. I did get hooked on the game in April of 1987. Lucky year to be a first time fan.

At times in the last 30 years I have faded away from the Twins and baseball at certain times because of other interests, but I usually find my footing again. Unfortunately, last season was one of those seasons. I hope the new guys in charge can turn this thing around. If they do, I feel pretty certain that I will invest some time again.

Some favorite memories include: Hrbek's GS in WS game 6 1987 • Puckett's walk-off in WS game 6 1991 • for some stupid reason a game against the Tigers in 1996 where we scored over 20 runs (Knoblauch and Molitor were on fire that year) • and Denard Span's Triple against CWS in September of 2008 - it was charged and emotional.

Favorite players include:

G-Man

Hrbek

Puckett

Shane Mack

Radke

Rick Aguilera

David Ortiz

Eddie Rosario

Other than that, I am a musician, who is pretty close to unveiling a new project in the coming months with other collaborator's, and I work a dead end job to pay the bills.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 11 others like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#194 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Greetings to this odd and eclectic group.
I am a 60 year old software consultant living in Plymouth. I was born in Washington, D.C. in 1956, so have been listening to this franchise since infancy. We moved from CA to MN when I was still very young. I do not recall ever NOT being a Twins fan (a great Dad I have!).

I remember the 1965 Twins quite well. Pascual, Mudcat, Kitty Kaat, Earl Battey and of course Harmon, Tony O… well, almost all of them. First heartbreak was seeing them lose the WS to Koufax and the Dodgers.

Many great baseball memories, but 2 I will share:
1. I was 8 years old when I went to a baseball game with my father, my uncle and my cousin. My uncle and cousin were visiting from California (Dodger fans). We were sitting in the left field bleachers and Bob Allison stepped up to the plate. He swung at the first pitch and from where we were it looked like he missed it by a foot. My cousin laughed and laughed at that (he is 3 or 4 years older than I am).Second pitch and again Allison swung and missed it by a foot. My cousin started all this trash talk about how the Twins can’t hit. Third pitch landed well behind us for a home run. 8 years old and I was smart enough to just sit there with a smug look on my face. Always have a special place in my heart for Bob Allison.
2. I was dating a woman who lived in Chicago in 1987. I drove to Chicago one Friday and stopped in Milwaukee to get tickets to the Sunday game. We spent Saturday night in Milwaukee and on Sunday we watched Kirby Puckett go 6 for 6. HA! Only game I ever saw in that park.

Favorite players, other than the entire 1965 roster include Rod Carew, Cesar Tovar, Shannon Stewart, Puckett, Brunansky, Brian Harper, Shane Mack, Hrbek, M & M,… lots of them I guess.

I started reading Twins online with BatGirl. She was awesome. That led to reading BYTO, Seth Speaks, some others and then Twinkie Town. One day the Seth Speaks URL (I actually know what those letters stand for!) told me to come here. Been hanging out here ever since.It is a rare day when I only visit the site once or twice.

Interesting such a diverse group of people can join together and appreciate our views on all things baseball. It is the best sport I know of and this is a great community. Thanks to all of you!

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 12 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#195 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that ...

I just KNEW you would weigh in on that post! :)
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#196 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,373 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

I just KNEW you would weigh in on that post! :)

And that carried some clout, being post # 15,000!

• Sconnie likes this

he gone!

#197 twinstarheelsfan

twinstarheelsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

My first major league game was at Griffith Park in DC with my brother and grandfather...1954. We sat in front of some of the players' wives...and got their autographs, including Mrs. Clint Courtney. That was a thrill for a boy from "Small Town, NC visiting his grandparents. My favorites were Camilio Pascual, and Roy Seivers. When the Senators moved to Minnesota I transferred my loyalties. Charlotte was a Senators/Twins minor league affiliate, and I live 45 miles from Charlotte, so I could keep up with the minor leaguers that way. There was a time when a friend of mine, Don Beaver, was trying to buy the Twins and move them to NC. He failed. In 1987 I had a friend from Statesville who was on the Twins. Mark Davidson and I had worked out together during the off season. He invited me to Minneapolis in July to see the A's come to town. When the A's arrived they were tied with the Twins. When they left 4 days later, the A's were 4 games behind the Twins. WHAT A SERIES! Plus it was the Equitable Old Timers game also. I got to meet the great Tony O and Harmon Killebrew signed my glove. Mark got us free tickets with the Twins families. Sat Next to Mrs Gagne and behind Mrs. Kirby Puckett and I sat with Mark's beautiful wife, Linda.
It was the best 4 days of my life. Even got to know Wally the beer man. I am an avid Twins' fan and I read TD several times a day. I went to Ft. Myers last year for my first spring training trip. The highlight was seeing Miguel Sano in the batting cage being watched and critiqued by Tony O, Rod Carew and Torri Hunter. Can you imagine that? I hope to meet some of you at spring training in TWO MONTHS! I graduated from UNC undergraduate, went in the army and served for 16 months in and around the Korean DMZ in '68 & '69, during which Vietnam was the big story, however in the summer of 68, 6 of my buddies from my platoon were shot in 3 separate firefights with the North Koreans and two of them died. If you doubt what I just wrote, look up The Blue House Raid, 1968, the USS Pueblo, 1968, a documentary on Korea in the late 60's called "Running the DMZ", which was on The History Channel in 2003, and a book by Daniel Bolger, titled "Scenes From an Unfinished War, Korea, 1966 - 1969". I was flown to Korea in 2003 to be interviewed for that History Channel documentary. I am happily married, have 7 children, 3 grandchildren. After the army, I went to UNC Law School using the GI Bill. I am a lawyer and live in Statesville, NC. I hope to meet some of you at Spring Training this year. Go Twins!

Edited by twinstarheelsfan, 15 January 2017 - 05:40 PM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Parker Hageman and 10 others like this

#198 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

I'm a 30 year old guy who grew up in various western burbs of the cities. Was a big Kirby fan as a little kid, but my love of the game and the Twins tapered off around the time he retired. However, around the age of 16 or 17 I had a rekindled interest and fell in love with the 04 Red Sox. This re-spawned my love of the game and interest in our local 9. While I was a Kirby fan as a kid, I've always actually preferred infielders, and still prefer to play there in my Slowpitch leagues. 

My favorite Twins memory is going to a Twin-White Sox game in 2008 (possibly 09???). With about a week left in the season, we were playing the White Sox who had been in first place for most regular schedule. As it happened seemingly every year in those days, the Twins made a push for first place in the final days of the season. I went to the game with my pops, and sat on the 3rd base side in the Dome-- maybe 15 rows up. The Sox had been up most of the game, in part due to a misplay against the baggy in the left center between Span and Gomez that allowed runners to advance.

The Dome was packed, and a win would mean first place with a week left in the regular season. In the final inning, Span tripled and Casilla knocked him in with a blooper over the infield to win it. The place erupted. Excellent memory that I'm glad I was able to share with my dad. 

I currently live in Richfield with my wife and two dogs, and am an executive at a design firm, but have also been a semi-professional musician at various points in my life. 

I always come to Twins Daily to see the most up-to-date Twins news compiled for me, and to read through the generally thoughtful insight provided by its many users. 

Nice thread! Thanks for having me! 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Parker Hageman and 9 others like this

#199 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

Nice thread! Thanks for having me! 

Great to have you here.  

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#200 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'm from St. Paul, with brief stops in St. Peter and Minneapolis, I went to High School at Breck.I went to College in SoCal, then law school in St. Paul, then moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico after law school and have been here the past 21 years.

I'm 47.

I've been a Twins fan my whole life.

My favorite memories include Rod Carew chasing .400 in 1977; Hrbek hitting a home run in the 12th at Yankee Stadium in his first game; watching Puckett live get 4 hits, hit a line drive to the wall that looked like it never got higher than 10 feet off Dave Stewart in 1992, knocking Stewart out of the game, and getting his 2000th hit.I was in San Francisco during the 1991 season, surrounded by A's fans, but able to watch the Twins knock the dynasty off their perch for one season, most memorably: Harper's 3-run homer in Oakland in a 7-run 8th inning to turn that series around; then Morris crushing their souls by pitching a complete game win at the Dome the day after a 12-inning win.

Favorite players who I can remember watching: Carew, Butch Wynegar, Hrbek, Puckett, Blyleven, Viola, Gagne, Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, Johan Santana, Brian Dozier.Oliva, Kaat and Killebrew would be on the list, but I was too young to remember actually seeing them play as Twins.Molitor is a hometown favorite, as I saw him play for the Gophers, then he threw out the first pitch in the little league all-star game to my brother, at Linwood Park, where I grew up playing sports, and where Molitor was a legend.I strongly believe Morris should be in the Hall of Fame, but he was only a Twin for one year, then he won the WS the next year with another team, so I don't count him as a great Twin.I also loved the late-career cameo from Dave Winfield, who was also a legend in St. Paul, and I played sports against teams coached by his brother, Steve, who was such a great guy, I have to believe Dave is too.

I've been reading Twins Daily off and on for a few years.I became a member in 2015.

I like to read the content and the comments.Lately, I've just been reading and not commenting as I don't have the time or energy to get into debates about my opinions, and I find it hard to not respond to criticism (I am a lawyer, after all).I like the fact that most people are polite and respectful of each other, even when they disagree, and that the moderators jump in when things start to spiral out of control.But most of all, I'm here for the game threads, which are so enjoyable, I got to thinking about an idea for FSNorth that I'm going to put forth in detail in a new Topic.

I truly enjoy this site, and I want to thank everyone who runs it.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Parker Hageman, Thrylos and 8 others like this