Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Stop By, Say Hi (Get To Know Us)

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:11 AM

As 2016 comes to an end and we all look forward to 2017, I thought it would be good to put out a thread to get to know each other a little bit. Obviously we all are strong, passionate Twins fans, but we're obviously more than that. We obviously want people to respect each other and sometimes remembering that we're all people, with feelings and families and more.

I also want those that are new to Twins Daily in the last year to leave a quick comment as well, especially if you've been more of a lurker who just likes to read the articles and take in what others are doing . I'd be looking for the following, and you can use this as a template.

Where are you from (be as specific as you are comfortable): 

What is your age (or age range, if you prefer):

How long have you been a Twins fan?

What have a couple of your best Twins memories been?

Who have some of your favorite players been?

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?

What brings you back to Twins Daily? How often do you stop by the site?

Share whatever you like. 

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 10 others like this

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:26 AM

I'll start it out. 

As you know (maybe), I started blogging in May of 2003, so I'm a veteran at this blogging thing. 

I grew up in Perham (MN) in west Central Minnesota. I went to Concordia College in Moorhead and played ball there for two years. I worked in the Sports Information Office four years. Played in a few amateur state tournaments. 

I was 8 years old when Kirby Puckett made his MLB debut, so he was definitely my favorite player. I was also a huge Chuck Knoblauch fan as well. Jacque Jones was my favorite from the past playoff group. I really haven't had favorite players for the last decade or more. I think getting to know so many minor leaguers and big leaguers, it's been different. It's a different relationship. I'm now a fan of the people moreso than the player, if that distinction makes sense. 

I have an 8-5 job here in Warroad, where I've lived for almost 20 years. I have a 10-year-old daughter. I enjoy writing about the minor leaguers, getting to know them, doing Q&As, and seeing some of them reach the big leagues. I am a fan of the Twins, so it's way more fun to see the Twins do well. 

Your turn... share what you're comfortable sharing. And again, welcome any newcomers!

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 12 others like this

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,242 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:01 AM

I'm a retired software developer, who lived in the Twin Cities for almost 20 years and have maintained my rooting interest for the Twins for an even longer period since then. I grew up in Indiana, have spent many years in the Pacific time zone and am now living in the Eastern time zone - I like my current home field, Fenway, but refuse to root very hard for the Sox as yet.

The '87 and '91 WS teams coincided with my time in Minnesota and thrilled me to pieces. Hrbek personified that team for me. Top moments include when everything was on the line: Kirby Puckett circling the bases hollering a simple "yeah! yeah!" as he scored a walk-off run, Jack Morris coming out for a 10th inning, Dan Gladden taking second base on a routine-looking single to set up a winning run - I don't think I even have to tell any of you the particulars of these scenes.

I'm a longtime SABR member, which reveals my analytical bent about as well as anything; yet as a member I have gravitated more toward the historical and biographical projects, and am merely a consumer of others' sabrmetric efforts.

I think I stopped lurking on TD in 2012, so that puts me pretty close to when it started, doesn't it? It's a daily habit for me, despite frequent resolutions to cut down on the addiction (although the timestamp on this post reflects only torturous holiday travel back home). :) TD is moving toward being a community and not just a web site - I have enjoyed meeting some of the members in person.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, glunn and 13 others like this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:20 AM

Retired, have been in the Twin Cities all my life, though could have moved.Computer person, though known outside of that world more than in, one of the best analysts in various areas,If you want an explaination to that use a PM.

Started in baseball fandom young, remembered Jonny Pod and the 55 WS game 7. Was more of a Dodger fan into the 60's until almost 70.Also played over 30 years in a stratomatic baseball league here in town(it still exists). 

Was in the ballpark for 4 games between 87 and 91 WS, including game 7 in 1991. 

Have been blogging here for about 3 years, not as often as some, but since I am married and do other things, do not have as much time as I wish. 

Have met a few members in Ft. Myers 2 years ago,might get there this year, but since we winter in Clearwater, FL, may just see Twins when they come up this way. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 13 others like this

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:50 AM

One other note:You can find me online elsewhere, but you would have to know where to look, and I really doubt any of you would ever go there.

But the areas I have been in are of the rich and famous.

• glunn and TheLeviathan like this

#6 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:53 AM

Growing up in Warren Minnesota 6 hours from the cities I was not automatically a fan of Twin Cities teams (Sioux and Bison over Gophers any day. More likely to find the Blue Bombers on TV than the North Stars.)

I am 47 so being a youth in the 70's, I leaned more Dodgers than Twins until Kirby won me over. 86 was my first year seriously watching baseball. '87 I watched or listened to every regular season game. That's the only year I have ever done that.

Favorite memories? First game (first time to Minneapolis) June 87. Nosebleed seats but we won despite Bruno striking out with bases loaded (Puckett, Hrbek, Gaeti on base) in the 12th. Both World Series. Thome and the flag pole. Chatting with Terry Ryan at a Spring Training game. (Really humble down to Earth guy. Wish he'd done a better job) 3rd row scalped ticket to watch Arcia's first HR on snow day in May

Favorite players:
Puckett
Gladden
Viola
Berenguer
Peirzinsky
Mientkeweicz
Larkin
Koskie
Morneau
Arcia
Buxton

I've been following TD from the beginning but don't know when I started speaking up. I am all geeked out on MiLB and the Twins. Love going to Cedar Rapids. To me, TD is the best source of the info I enjoy so I am on here multiple times a day. It's my hobby bordering on obsession.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, Seth Stohs, USAFChief and 12 others like this

#7 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

I meant to say I missed part or all of three games in 87... games 3, 4, and 5 against the Cards. I was in college (NDSU) and had an evening class. Yeah, that sucked but I was paying too much to skip.
  • glunn likes this

#8 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

I was 'born' a Dodgers fan since both my parents are from Los Angeles and that's where I was born. We moved around a few times, one of the stops being in Seattle. I remember being in the Kingdome in Seattle when it was brand new. To a young boy it felt super awesome, basically a hupe space ship. We ended up in Minnesota at age 10 and the Metrodome was brand spanking new -we went to a game in April of the Metrodome's first season and I remember everyone there just saying how awesome the Dome was. I was hooked as a Twins fan and bumped the Dodgers down to second place in my heart - still cheer every year for a Twins - Dodgers World Series. Of course, I wish I had been old enough to have seen the 1965 Twins - Dodgers World Series. Now, I really enjoy Target Field and bringing my children to games there outside where baseball belongs. I am also a big St. Paul Saints fan and love CHS Field. I grew up playing American Legion games in the old Saints stadium Municipal (Midway) Stadium. I disagree with people who cheer for all Minnesota teams and then cheer for the Packers - that is blasphemous.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 11 others like this

#9 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 565 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN
  • Twitter: enge0280

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

As 2016 comes to an end and we all look forward to 2017, I thought it would be good to put out a thread to get to know each other a little bit. Obviously we all are strong, passionate Twins fans, but we're obviously more than that. We obviously want people to respect each other and sometimes remembering that we're all people, with feelings and families and more.

I also want those that are new to Twins Daily in the last year to leave a quick comment as well, especially if you've been more of a lurker who just likes to read the articles and take in what others are doing . I'd be looking for the following, and you can use this as a template.

How long have you been reading Twins Daily (or were you following some writers before Twins Daily)?

Grew up in Cottage Grove, MN, lived in Massachusetts for a minute and now live in St Paul.

Since as long as I can remember, but I didn't become a hardcore twins specific fan until I was maybe 12 or so (more a ninja turtles fan before that point to be honest.)

"And we'll see you tomorrow night!" Always gives me chills, but just as much I have loved every spring training and minor league trip I have made to see players and the teams.

Brad Radke, Corey Koskie, Joe Mauer, learning as much as I can about Harmon Killebrew. Non twins; Buck O'Neil, Roger Clemens (pre cheating allegations) Lou Gehrig (or moreso hearing stories about him with my grandpa) and arguing Griffey is better than Bonds with my cousin.

I came to twinsdaily because I loved reading Seth's site and Aaron Gleeman's. I've loved getting to read more information because of this site, and in the past year I have started to comment some too.

Daily, multiple times daily. Talking about baseball and the twins is a passion of mine, and a good release from real life once in a while. I appreciate having this site for many reasons
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 12 others like this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,452 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

I live in Tucson, due largely to being stationed here twice and ending up retiring from the Air Force here. Now I have grandkids here, so probably not leaving. But my "home" is Minnesota...I was raised and went to school in Cosmos. Kudos to the few of you who have heard of it, much less know where it is. Mrs Chief is from Spicer, and we both come home as aften as we can. As for age...don't want to spoil any running game thread gags, so lets just say, when it comes to age, I'm like the kids from Lake Wobegon: above average.

Been a Twins fan since my dad took me to the Met to see my first game in 1963. We couldn't find our car in that giant parking lot after. My favorite memories are that day, beating Detroit to get to the 87 series, and attending games 1 and 2 of the 91 series. Favorite player is Kirby.

I migrated here when BYTO folded, been here since, and hope to waste way too much time here until I can no longer waste time.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 16 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#11 South Dakota Tom

South Dakota Tom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

Lifelong South Dakotan, now in Sioux Falls, middle-aged lawyer. Went to Blake for two years while my mom went to law school at U of M in the late 70s, then Duke (from the last year of Gene Banks until the first years of Dawkins/Alarie/Bilas/Henderson).

First games were in the old Met against the Tigers while my sister had scoliosis surgery at U of M in early 70s.  Rod Carew was always my favorite Twin; also loved Jim Kaat, George Mitterwald.  Willie Mays will always be my favorite player. 

Best memories are listening to Twins games with my grandpa in Huron, and going crazy in '87 games 6 and 7.  Come up 1-2 times a year and watch/listen to several games a week.  Been a lurker on the site since it started, and roamed the Strib blogs (as well as others written by current TD writers) before that.  I'm here pretty much every day at some point, reading most everything except personal squabbles, but rarely post. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 11 others like this

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,188 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

51 Years Old... Married 26 years with 2 Sons in College. I've been a faithful Twins Fans since I sprung into consciousness. Herb Carneal was perhaps my favorite Twin since he was the connection to them in my youth. It was Herb telling me what was happening that cemented my roots in the Twins. Rod Carew was my first Twins hero and still ranks #1 on my list but there are very few Twins that I didn't like (Delmon Young).

After Carew... Hrbek... Johan,.. Kirby... Mauer would round out my top five. For the most part... put the uniform on and I will have your back. I enjoyed every inning of Nick Punto because he played for MY TEAM and Yes... you should have no illusions... The Twins are MY TEAM!!! 

I Grew up in Thief River Falls which is about the only place in Minnesota that is at least an hour away from any decent lake. For the past 25 plus years... I've been living in Grand Forks which is about the only place on earth that is at least an hour away from any decent tree.

I'm bad with specific years so I'm not sure when I started with Twins Daily. It is Seth Stoh's fault that I'm here since I followed him over. 

Why do I come back to TD? Because... the normal folks that I spend my time with during the course of the day can't converse at the level of Twins or Baseball that I require. I have invested a lot of my lifetime reading and watching baseball... I need someplace... just like this. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 16 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#13 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

Originally from Nederland, I grew up in Southern California, where I learned how to throw things and tenuously add numbers together. I spent a lot of time in Minnesota back in the 70's and 80's. Been a fan ever since. I've seen almost every game for the past 20 years. I am an Aries, and a real live wire. I heart to fart and I've drawn more circles than Wassily Kandinsky.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 13 others like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#14 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

I'm a newbie to posting but have been following since the beginning of the site. I grew up in Wadena and have been married to my high school sweetheart for 42 years (and counting), though we've never lived in Minnesota as a couple. For the past 28 years we've lived in Portland, Oregon, where I am an economics professor. (Avatar = college mascot.)

I have been a Twins fan since opening day of 1961, when I abandoned my father's beloved Cleveland Indians to root for the home-state team. For the last decade or so, the only sports I follow are baseball and European football. I watch at least part of nearly every Twins game on MLB.TV, though there is usually a dinner interruption in about the third inning given the time-zone difference. I went to my first Target Field game last summer with my Minneapolis brother (and got to watch the Twins give up 15 runs to the Red Sox).

My favorite players have to start with Tony Oliva, but there are lots of others. Puckett was a class act (on the field at least). Killebrew of course. Earl Battey was a personal favorite from those early years as well. I've always thought that Mauer is a classy player who gets a lot of abuse he doesn't deserve. I love watching the youngsters come through the system and, at least sometimes, turn into good major-league players. The Twins AAA team was in Portland for the first 4-5 years we lived here, so I loved watching the likes of Chip Hale, Scott Leuss, Paul Sorrento, and Pedro Munoz, as well as career minor-leaguers like Bernardo Brito and Kelvin Torve.

I check in with TD early every morning over my first pot of tea as I settle into the office for the day. Thanks for providing us die-hards with a daily fix of Twins, even when there isn't much to talk about.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 19 others like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#15 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'm a retired guy here in Minneapolis. I've been a Twins fan for at least 55 years. I grew up in Virginia so when I was a kid the Senators were my home town team.

I check TD several times a day. The discussions are usually a good read.

I don't really have a favorite player. I've liked lots of them over the years.

I've been blogging forever. My first blog was bat-girl "less stats, more sass". I think I remember Seth posting about getting started. He might have still been in college.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 12 others like this

#16 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

18/F/CA looking to meet new friends 

Edited by DaveW, 31 December 2016 - 12:03 PM.

• Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan, Loosey and 10 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#17 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:06 PM

Nebraska---> Seattle---->Dallas---> Oklahoma---> Montana---->Charleston SC-----> Harlem----> Brooklyn

Physically 30ish, mentally 15

4 life

Going to game 7 when I was like 6 years old.

Game 163

Nick Punto

Shane Mack

Kevin Tappani

Puckett (duh)

Mauer 

Nick Punto

Since the start? Read Nick's excellent blogs prior, and Brock's whiny facebook rants for years.

Pretty solid discussion.

Anywhere from 0 times in 6 months to several times a day (depends on if I'm banned or not) ;)

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, Seth Stohs and 15 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#18 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,798 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

I grew up in Winona, went to school someplace not far from there, ended up in the Cities for about 13 years before work took me 'abroad.' Returned to the States and have been working and living in Chicago for the last, almost 17 yrs. I'm a musician and am one of the lucky ones who make a good living at it, although no longer performing. (You can read my TD profile, if you like, although it's really not that much more illuminating.)

I'm old enough and have been a Twins fan since birth.

Best memories? Oooh boy ... lots. Getting Rod Carew's autograph when he was a Twin. Beating Detroit in '87 for the AL Championship and the rally that night at the Dome. The '87 and '91 World Series. The many, many Spring Trainings I've been to. My first trip to Target Field ... which ended up not being for a game because the ticket I had was for the only game that was rained out the year it opened. And I couldn't stay long enough to go to the make-up game. So friends of mine who 'knew people' got me into the stadium to walk around, wherever, unescorted. Any time the Twins beat the White Sox when they are in Chicago. Buxton's inside-the-park HR last year was fun ... he hadn't quite rounded 2nd when I knew it, when any Twins fan knew it, and I'm at the Cell near the front row on the 1st base side, jumping up and down, yelling, 'Inside the park! Inside the park!' with bemused White Sox fans looking on until they realized what I was screaming about after it was over a second later. Those are a few of the highlights out of many.

Some favorite players: Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Gaetti, Hrbek, Puckett, Hunter, Johann, Dozier

I've been coming to TD since almost near the beginning, after BYTO folded itself into here. The articles and coverage, both major and minor, keep me coming back for more. And the community. Being outside Minnesota, I need a place so I don't feel quite so alone, an island unto myself amid White Sox fans in Chicago. (Yes, not Cubs' fans ... I live closer to White Sox territory here.) I'm reading something here whenever I have a minute and I read far more than I post.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, glunn and 12 others like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#19 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,798 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

18/F/CA looking to meet new friends 

Ick. ;)

• USAFChief, snepp and Platoon like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

1) Gaylord - Lacrosse - Chicago - Mundelein - Evanston - Burnsville - New Ulm - Phoenix

An elementary school teacher who has worked with kids my entire life in settings most people would run screaming from.  Married to a wonderful woman with one amazing kid and another on the way.

2) 30ish

3) Lifer.  Game 6 of '91 made it passionate

4) '91's world series.  Living in Chicago during our heated rivalry.  Dating a White Sox fan during those times.  Jim Thome hitting a home run off Matt Thornton at my son's first baseball game (Twins for life, thanks for betting me hun!)  Anything Nishioka.

5) Koskie, Knoblauch, Radke

6) I was one of those sad folks who migrated from the ESPN boards to the promised land of BYTO.  I begrudingly migrated here when it was burned to the ground in a corporate takeover.

7) It's a daily stop.  Lots of long time relationships here, old jokes, old friends, and good content.  Really, the discussions here surpass the vast majority of sports message boards.  And we go so far beyond that.  It's my one stop, talk it out like we're at the bar after work, kind of club.  

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 10 others like this