Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016-2017 Vikings Offseason Thread

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

I think our line next year probably looks like this:

Kalil-Boone-Berger-Zeitler-Rookie

I'm simply not sure there is a better LT than Kalil.

Zeitler would be good, well I would assume. Amatures such as myself judging O linemen seems silly regardless of Profootball Focus or any other kind of analytical study, but if those in know say he's good, fine by me. The Vikings do chase Zimmer's old Bengals that's for sure.

I have to think there will be a lineman or two who will be a cap casualty who may still be useful. I'm really surprised Sporano didn't get more out of this unit considering that he was hyped as a line guru. We've seen plenty of teams make do with make-shift lines, why couldn't the Vikings? Was it because Sporano couldn't get these guys on the right page? Or was it because Spielman put guys on the roster who no one could mold into useful pieces? I'm feeling like it's more likely the 2nd.

Spielman's done some rally nice things, but the things he's missed on are really, really starting to pile up and become worrisome.

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

apparently, since vikings journal is about to die....

And I feel bad, I should visit more often.

It's just so hard. It seems like the football fans that aren't interested in baseball are so much more difficult to engage in a civilized discussion.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

I think the coaching staff will stay largely the same. This team has some needs for sure, I'd rank them like this:

1) LT
2) RT
3) RG
4) RB
5) DT
6) Blocking TE
7) CB
8) LB

I think Kalil is the best bet for LT. You could consider ponying up for Reilly Reiff as your RT or use the draft.

I think this team has to use one of it's top 3 picks on a RB.

I'd add a WR to that list. I don't think Patterson will be back, it only takes 1 team to think they can improve him as a wr and make him a big offer.

With Diggs versatility, we could go a couple directions.
We could get a slot guy, or get a big outside WR and play Diggs from the slot.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

I considered putting WR on the list, but I think we need to plan on Diggs-Thielen-Treadwell as the top three.  There could still be room for Patterson to stay.

• nicksaviking likes this

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

I'd bet league interest in Patterson will be based on his return skills and I'd guess the Vikings will be the top suitor.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

I think Patterson comes back here as well, unless someone promises him a much larger role and he takes the bait.

#27 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

I would prefer to see Patterson return. A creative offensive gameplan can find plenty of ways to put his skillset to use, even if he doesn't improve much as a route-running receiver.

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

I considered putting WR on the list, but I think we need to plan on Diggs-Thielen-Treadwell as the top three. There could still be room for Patterson to stay.

Well the coaching staff thinks so little of Treadwell, that he couldn't even see the field in a meaningless for both teams week 17 game.
I don't think he should be in any plans for next year. If we get anything from him, consider it a bonus.

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:50 AM

You only have so many roster spots though. If you retain Patterson you do need to count Treadwell. If you think Treadwell is a bust you have to trade him.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

I am hoping they:

1. Sign Reiff to play RT.

2. Sign Zeitler or someone else to play RG

3. Sigh....sign Kalil to play LT (yuck, but who is better)

4. Cut Peterson

5. Draft an OG or OT in round 2

6. Draft a DT or RB in round 3

7. Draft a DT or RB in round 4

8. Draft DB or LB with their other picks

9. Finally win a playoff game, if not, Spielman should be gone.

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#31 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

I like that Mike except I might lean RB in round 2 depending on who is there.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

It's a bit too early for me to analyze where RBs will be going in the draft.... But from what I've read, there's a whole bunch of good RBs coming out this year. Who knows, maybe they find a gem like Jordan Howard in the 5th round. 

• nicksaviking and TheLeviathan like this

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

My initial plan looks very similar to Mike's and Levi's: 

Cut: 
- Peterson, Floyd, Fusco, Wright, Sherels

Re-sign:
- Thielen 4/$14, Patterson 2 years

FA:
- Overpay Reiff to play RT 
- Re-sign Kalil to another 1 year prove it deal or a multi-year, low guarantee contract
- Sign an OG or 3

- Sign a CB to replace Munnerlyn in the slot

- Sign a LB to replace Greenway

Draft: 
- Find a feature RB 
- Draft as many OT and OGs as humanly possible

Edited by Vanimal46, 03 January 2017 - 11:51 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#34 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

It's a bit too early for me to analyze where RBs will be going in the draft.... But from what I've read, there's a whole bunch of good RBs coming out this year. Who knows, maybe they find a gem like Jordan Howard in the 5th round.

I'm really high on Kamara, after that I'd have to do more digging.

Kamara reminds me of LeVeon Bell.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

I'm really high on Kamara, after that I'd have to do more digging.

Kamara reminds me of LeVeon Bell.

There's the big names like Leonard Fournette from LSU and Christian McCaffery from Stanford.... I saw D'Onta Foreman of Texas play a couple games this year. He could bring back the Fat Back trend that vanished once Jerome Bettis retired. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#36 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

I don't follow football nearly enough to know who to name but it's pretty clear that the offensive line is the biggest problem and relying on Kalil seems dubious.  They need to either draft a stud LT or trade for one.

Also, why did Barr suck this year?

#37 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

They don't pick until the second round, drafting a stud LT is going to take a near miracle.

Kalil is genuinely the best option.  In part because the FA class is weak, but also in part because offensive line play around the league is freaking awful.

I wonder if Barr was hurt.  Or perhaps we aren't playing to his strengths, that's my other suspicion.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 03 January 2017 - 04:10 PM.

• gunnarthor likes this

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:09 AM

You only have so many roster spots though. If you retain Patterson you do need to count Treadwell. If you think Treadwell is a bust you have to trade him.

They can cut Johnson and/or Wright if there becomes a roster crunch.

#39 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:40 AM

It's not so much the crunch part, it's that why are you keeping Treadwell at all if he's not going to see the field?  I guess you could draft a project WR late but I wouldn't put much of a need there.  Thielen, Diggs, Patterson, Treadwell, Johnson/Wright is a pretty decent group.  Anyone you pick up is going to have to slot at the bottom of that group, even if you don't retain Patterson.

#40 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm all for drafting a RB, but I don't like to do that early. Seems to me that is the position where success is most independent of where a guy is drafted. Unless you're talking about one of the clearly elite guys who tend to go top 5 or so.

Also, assuming Bridgewater isn't ready next year; if the Vikings aren't comfortable with Taylor Heinike as Bradford's backup and feel the need to sign another vet, I'd rather they just cut Heinike and find another young QB for the 3rd spot. I'd really like this team to try to keep trying to find a project QB that could potentially steal the starting gig or be flipped someday. Even if it only rarely works out I think it's worth the effort. If it's clear Heinike isn't capable next year, he's probably never going to be, try again.

• Mike Sixel likes this