Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Dozier Trade Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2825 replies to this topic

#21 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,759 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

Lot of haters hating.

That's one half of the equation anyway.

On the topic of Dozier, I'm still holding out hope for a stocking full of high-end prospects for Christmas.
  • kab21, TheLeviathan, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,244 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

That's one half of the equation anyway.

On the topic of Dozier, I'm still holding out hope for a stocking full of high-end prospects for Christmas.

If I don't get some love by Valentine's Day I'm sending the break up text.

• gunnarthor, snepp, Sconnie and 5 others like this

#23 DodgerFan1234

DodgerFan1234

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

I referenced this in the other thread, but there's a rather good article from the Dodgers perspective dated Nov 30th on DodgersDigest.  The site was started by Mike Petriello before he moved onto MLB Network/Statcast and Chad Moriyama.  They usually have some of the best and most accurate analysis around.  You may not like their opinions (and yes, its nothing more than opinion) but its a good read.

http://dodgersdigest...an-dozier-deal/

• Oldgoat_MN, beehles and Dance with Disco Dan like this

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:43 PM

Question to you all:

Putting aside for a moment who exactly is on or off the table for sure, (which the Dodgers could change at any moment based on a desire to finish the deal, OR, the Twins taking salary back, etc), which is truly the best overall fit for the Twins as the 3rd piece in this puzzle? Is it someone like Stewart who may be close? Or are we better off with someone else like a Sheffield or one of the other younger and further away youngsters with more potential but more questions?

JDL joins Berrios, May, Mejia, Gonsalves, and a number of SP candidates that will all probably begin next season at AA. I'm not so sure a younger, less proven lottery type isn't more fitting for the Twins at this point.
  • Oxtung, Gene Larkin Fan Club and mazeville like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

Question to you all:

Putting aside for a moment who exactly is on or off the table for sure, (which the Dodgers could change at any moment based on a desire to finish the deal, OR, the Twins taking salary back, etc), which is truly the best overall fit for the Twins as the 3rd piece in this puzzle? Is it someone like Stewart who may be close? Or are we better off with someone else like a Sheffield or one of the other younger and further away youngsters with more potential but more questions?

JDL joins Berrios, May, Mejia, Gonsalves, and a number of SP candidates that will all probably begin next season at AA. I'm not so sure a younger, less proven lottery type isn't more fitting for the Twins at this point.

I agree. You DON'T need multiple major league ready starters for Dozier. Better off getting a higher potential starter from the lower levels of the minors as the second piece, IMO ...

• Mike Frasier Law, Cory Engelhardt, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#26 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:51 PM

To re-iterate: Stewart and Lux are OFF the table for the 3rd part of the trade.

Has Ross Stripling ever been brought up at all?

• markos likes this

#27 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN
  • Twitter: enge0280

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

I agree. You DON'T need multiple major league ready starters for Dozier. Better off getting a higher potential starter from the lower levels of the minors as the second piece, IMO ...

This

#28 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,290 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

Moderator warning:

We know it's slow right now but the old thread was closed because of the bickering and constant straying from topic. Discuss Dozier and the possibilities or move on. This is not a constant update thread nor a thread to poke at or reference the validity of anyone's sources. Talk about Dozier and the possibilities or move along. And if you want to joke and talk about off-topic whatever, consider posting in the off-season game thread just for the heck of it.
  • glunn, Jerr, Cory Engelhardt and 5 others like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#29 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

Question to you all:

I feel like others on the site have a different understanding of the word Lottery.Why would we want a lower level Lottery pick player instead of a prospect who has proven himself at higher levels?I get spreading out when guys may be MLB ready, but a lottery type player most likely never makes it.For a player like Dozier, they better get players who will help the MLB roster this year or in a few years. 

#30 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:35 AM

Never never never never never trade a Major league hitter for a pitcher.  You will almost always lose the trade.  If we don't get a Major League SS or catcher, we won't get value for Dozier and you will gripe about the trade for the next 20 years.  :)

#31 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

Question to you all:

DaveW has posted on Twitter that De Leon and Alvarez are the 2 main pieces, with possibility of 1-2 more players/prospects.

I think we need to look at this as a, at a minimum, 2 year rebuild.There are a few young pitchers currently in the Twins organization that can fill that roll, develop, and may give Twins [if De Leon and Alvarez as expected/hope] a trade surplus they've never had:Pitchers that other teams desire.

IMHO, I would say the best course is to keep building the legion vast and grab a couple lower-level pitching prospects from LA and keep back-feeding the system.

Or I could be fill with crap.....

:)

It's not my fault !

#32 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:45 AM

Never never never never never trade a Major league hitter for a pitcher.  You will almost always lose the trade.  If we don't get a Major League SS or catcher, we won't get value for Dozier and you will gripe about the trade for the next 20 years. :)

Because you win with pitching and defense.You only need decent hitting(which the Twins could well already have).

De Leon will slot in above most of the current Twins prospects, but he looks to slot in as a #3 starter with the upside of a #2, if all breaks right.Twins need some lower level pitching prospects with #1 to #2 promise to make this work, plus a couple of lottery tickets.Holdup from what I'm reading in the thread in the upside of those lottery tickets, with the Dodgers more inclined to give AAAA upside type and the Twins wanting 1 more decent(but lower prospect)

• Platoon and wsnydes like this

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,281 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:41 AM

Question to you all:

Given the need for major league pitching, I would probably target a guy like Stewart. Problem of course is on LADs side, as guys like that equate to depth as well.Honestly, I'd have no problems with Stewart or a younger high-upside kind of guy. From a needs standpoint though, I'd go with another pitcher close to the show.I'd put De Leon and Stewart in the rotation on day one and send Hughes to the pen unless he showed something in the spring I wasn't expecting, Santiago packing, and possibly trade ESan too.My rotation from day 1 would be De Leon, Stewart, May, Gibson, and Berrios with Mejia in AAA.Dufey might be in AAA too and remain a starter. If Hughes earned a job, one of the three of De Leon, Stewart, and Berrios opens in Rochester.

• d-mac likes this

#34 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:44 AM

Could Trayce Thompson be the 3rd piece? I do think he would help the Mlb roster next year

#35 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

Never never never never never trade a Major league hitter for a pitcher. You will almost always lose the trade. If we don't get a Major League SS or catcher, we won't get value for Dozier and you will gripe about the trade for the next 20 years. :)

I won't gripe about the trade even if every player we get busts.
The Twins aren't winning the WS in the next 2 years with or without Dozier.
  • Cory Engelhardt, beckmt, NoCryingInBaseball and 5 others like this

#36 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

I won't gripe about the trade even if every player we get busts.
The Twins aren't winning the WS in the next 2 years with or without Dozier.

2nd'd. You take the best assets you believe in when trading an asset. No one can predict the future and what will happen, but you take the 2-3 best players in a trade for Dozier, regardless of position, and get the most worth in your mind.

If they happen to be pitchers, all of them, so be it. You want to get the most value possible at the time of the deal.

#37 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

If I could end up one solid #3 SP, or above I would be satisfied. The reason? One is obvious, we need SP desperately. The other is a little less discussed. This team has to potential offensively to easily replace Doziers output. And if the potential does not come to fruition, trading Dozier will be the least of our problems. Every trade is affected by leverage. While ours is the Dodgers need for a 2B, theirs is our glaring need for competence in the rotation. We aren't exactly sitting on quite the gold mine many think.
  • Oldgoat_MN, d-mac and wsnydes like this
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#38 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

My read is that the Twins brass is not sold on Aleverz being an almost sure thing.So they want another lower prospect lottery ticket to balance out the risk.Or who they want is hitting a nerve with the Dodgers.

#39 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

Good stuff here from Ken Rosenthal on the Dozier trade.

http://www.foxsports...on-notes-122016

Upshot: Dozier trade is not close. But Rosenthal also gives a real good argument as to why the Twins should trade Dozier now, and not wait until the trade deadline. They won't get a better deal than they will now. And there is always a risk that Dozier will have a bad first half.

Here's a kicker quote:

The Twins, then, perhaps can play a little hardball, knowing they probably line up with the Dodgers best. But the danger of pushing too far is that the Dodgers could turn to another option, and the Twins might not find a better deal before Aug. 1, when Dozier already will have played more than half a season.

• glunn, nicksaviking, Cory Engelhardt and 3 others like this

#40 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:18 AM

Let's discuss the impending trade of Brian Dozier here:

I think we will need a future 3B when Sano replaces Mauer in a few years! Any options there?