Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sale to the Red Sox

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,825 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

While this could be discussed in today's Winter Meetings thread, I think that the Chris Sale trade warrants its own thread.

Chris Sale to the Red Sox in exchange for Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech and two more prospects.

1.) Sale is out of the AL Central.

2.) The White Sox got a great haul! Moncada's the #1 prospect in baseball, and Kopech has a 100 mph fastball and is a starter. 

Dave Dombrowski is certainly aggressive. Will Sale stay healthy? Do the Red Sox use throwback uniforms?

• Blake and Vanimal46 like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

Wow, this is a hell of a trade. Kudos to the Red Sox for continuing to be aggressive. 

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hloy ****

David Price

Chris Sale

Porcello

Rodríguez

Wright

what an amazing rotation...on paper

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

I've always been jealous of the White Sox having Sale, but didn't the Red Sox just do this last year?

An ace lefty with diminishing velocity, how did that David Price deal work out last year? Geez, and Sale is more of a flyball pitcher than Price and he's going to Fenway.

Maybe it will work out, but I have my doubts so I'll be glad if Boston sabotages their stud offensive nucleus with a rotation that's past it's peak. Not thrilled to see this return for the White Sox at all. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

I don't know, i didn't really mind having Sale around.  I'm more disappointed the White Sox did something smart.

• gunnarthor, Twins33, nicksaviking and 6 others like this

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

IMO the White Sox had a sale... on Sale

d8123388_csimaimigif.gif

• Teflon, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 5 others like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

I don't know, i didn't really mind having Sale around.  I'm more disappointed the White Sox did something smart.

Still 3 months left to go... One can hope they'll trade Moncada to the Reds for Joey Votto or some other expensive veteran out there. 

• nicksaviking and KirbyDome89 like this

#8 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Yoan Moncada and stuff for 3 years of Sale is great news for Twins fans.

White Sox screw themselves, again.

• PseudoSABR likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

IMO the White Sox had a sale... on Sale

d8123388_csimaimigif.gif

Would you be willing to say they had a.... FIRE Sale??

CSI_Miami.gif

• gunnarthor, LaBombo, snepp and 3 others like this

#10 toosweet64

toosweet64

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

Dombrowski does what he does: Gut the farm system for veterans and try to win now. Then leave in a few years when everybody gets old. 

• Loosey, clutterheart, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

Dombrowski does what he does: Gut the farm system for veterans and try to win now. Then leave in a few years when everybody gets old. 

Yeah, it's a good thing he got there after Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley got to the majors. The team would probably still have Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford too.

I mean good for him for going for it, but just like how I didn't like Terry Ryan trying the same strategy over and over and over again, Dombrowski's never changing tactic also hasn't paid off in a championship in two decades now. That's a really good team though, maybe this year.

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

The other 2 prospects included in the trade is 20 year old Luis Basabe who already has a big K problem in A ball, and Victor Diaz, 22 year old RP with a big fastball and not much else. 

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

I've always been jealous of the White Sox having Sale, but didn't the Red Sox just do this last year?

An ace lefty with diminishing velocity, how did that David Price deal work out last year? Geez, and Sale is more of a flyball pitcher than Price and he's going to Fenway.

Maybe it will work out, but I have my doubts so I'll be glad if Boston sabotages their stud offensive nucleus with a rotation that's past it's peak. Not thrilled to see this return for the White Sox at all. 

Well, they won their division and made the playoffs....so, it worked out well, if not in a championship.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:26 PM

Yoan Moncada and stuff for 3 years of Sale is great news for Twins fans.

White Sox screw themselves, again.

Huh? They got the #1 prospect in baseball, a good SP prospect, and two more pieces.....how did they screw themselves, exactly? 

• Dantes929, Oldgoat_MN, biggentleben and 4 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

In fairness, that's what they hired him to do, right?

Take the great assets the previous guys acquired, and trade them off for the present?

• HitInAPinch likes this

#16 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

not a good trade for the twins. in 107.1 total innings against sale, they scored at an e.r.a. clip of 4.28. that's higher than league average in every season since sale's debut in 2010.

#17 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

Huh? They got the #1 prospect in baseball, a good SP prospect, and two more pieces.....how did they screw themselves, exactly? 

Sale is a #1 who will be providing MLB wins immediately. Moncada likely will require at least one option year, maybe three. Maybe he never provides MLB wins. But he'll need to be rostered while they "find out what they have." Its a huge risk. And the upside is overblown IMO. Being the #1 prospect and a second baseman is almost an oxymoron. Second base is the landing spot for failed SS and 3Bs. He would have to hit like Jeff Kent to reach his supposed Hall of Fame ceiling.

Kopech doesn't have the pitches to start. His fastball is legit and being a MLB bullpen arm wouldn't be a terrible outcome but that's again, the landing spot for failed starters. Then there are the character questions ie. missing time for breaking his hand in a fight and using banned substance and being suspended.

The other two look like throw ins.

And compared to packages for example,, a half season of Chapman, it just seems like an exceedingly poor strategy to deal him at this time, for a fairlysimilar return. IMO.

Edited by Willihammer, 06 December 2016 - 01:57 PM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Sale is a #1 who will be providing MLB wins immediately. Moncada likely will require at least one option year, maybe three. Maybe he never provides MLB wins. But he'll need to be rostered while they "find out what they have." Its a huge risk. And the upside is overblown IMO. Being the #1 prospect and a second baseman is almost an oxymoron. Second base is the landing spot for failed SS and 3Bs. He would have to hit like Jeff Kent to reach his supposed Hall of Fame ceiling.

Kopech doesn't have the pitches to start. His fastball is legit and being a MLB bullpen arm wouldn't be a terrible outcome but that's again, the landing spot for failed starters. Then there are the character questions ie. missing time for breaking his hand in a fight and using banned substance and being suspended.

The other two look like throw ins.

And compared to packages for example,, a half season of Chapman, it just seems like an exceedingly poor strategy to deal him at this time, for a fairlysimilar return. IMO.

so they should have kept him, and not made the playoffs again? Seems like a bad strategy to me. At some point, you realize you aren't good, and trade your stars to rebuild (I know as a Twins' fan, that seems odd.......).

So, getting the number 1 prospect in the game, that's not a good start on the rebuild? Not sure I understand, and whether you like it or not, he's pretty much number 1 or 2 or 4....not 20, not 100....

#19 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Do the Red Sox use throwback uniforms?

You had to go there...

Don't the Red Sox pretty much always wear "throwback" uniforms?  They never went through any of the hideous phases that the pale hose did.

Edited by Physics Guy, 06 December 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#20 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Seems like a fair deal to me.  The #1 prospect, another top 100 guy and two upside(?) prospects who may or may not work out.  

• Oldgoat_MN and dbminn like this