Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

POTUS Donald Trump

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4475 replies to this topic

#21 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• 8,345 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

Can't miss a chance to bash the other side!  No one looks past the surface any way.

I only mentioned the Kochs because during the Obama presidency there really was no elected Republican whose actions were treated with as much knee-jerk opposition and consternation by Dems as Obama's were by Republicans.

The Republican party simply lacked a properly polarizing figure who could match the Kochs' infamy among Democrats.The lack of a clear elected Republican front runner in rankling the opposition to the level the Kochs did increased the perception that the 2016 Republican field was weak, which in turn probably helped in some small way to encourage Trump to run.

• PseudoSABR and TheLeviathan like this

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,781 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

I only mentioned the Kochs because during the Obama presidency there really was no elected Republican whose actions were treated with as much knee-jerk opposition and consternation by Dems as Obama's were by Republicans.

The Republican party simply lacked a properly polarizing figure who could match the Kochs' infamy among Democrats.The lack of a clear elected Republican front runner in rankling the opposition to the level the Kochs did increased the perception that the 2016 Republican field was weak, which in turn probably helped in some small way to encourage Trump to run.

In fairness, the Koch brothers want to pollute the world at will, all so they can make more money. No amount of trying to buy your way into heaven with donations can fix that, imo. 

• Craig Arko likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,956 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

In fairness, the Koch brothers want to pollute the world at will, all so they can make more money. No amount of trying to buy your way into heaven with donations can fix that, imo. 

Full disclosure, the company I work at has been partners with Koch based companies for several years with their hiring needs. A lot of their initiatives the last 2 years is upgrading their plants with better, more efficient equipment. I've placed several corporate project managers and reliability engineers who's sole jobs are to travel to each plant location on a global basis, identify inefficiencies at each location, and propose projects to cut energy and waste. 

• LaBombo, PseudoSABR and TheLeviathan like this

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,781 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

Full disclosure, the company I work at has been partners with Koch based companies for several years with their hiring needs. A lot of their initiatives the last 2 years is upgrading their plants with better, more efficient equipment. I've placed several corporate project managers and reliability engineers who's sole jobs are to travel to each plant location on a global basis, identify inefficiencies at each location, and propose projects to cut energy and waste. 

That's nice, maybe all those attempts to get laws and regulations changed are not real.....maybe they are becoming the Carnegie family, but I have my doubts.

#25 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:36 AM

Too little too late for the Koch's.
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

I tend to believe people are never as great or as terrible as they are widely believed.  The day and age we live in tends to make people into black and white and not the shade of grey we all really belong to.

• USAFChief and LaBombo like this

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

I sure hope Trump does something impeachable before Democrats realize they don't want to impeach him.

The House votes to impeach.The House is controlled by Republicans.Won't happen.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,781 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

I tend to believe people are never as great or as terrible as they are widely believed.  The day and age we live in tends to make people into black and white and not the shade of grey we all really belong to.

Few people are truly evil....but that doesn't make them good either. The dudes are funding efforts to basically eliminate anti pollution laws all over the world, all so they can make more money. Sorry, that makes them bad people, imo. 

Edited by Mike Sixel, 07 December 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

Few people are truly evil....but that doesn't make them good either. The dudes are funding efforts to basically eliminate anti pollution laws all over the world, all so they can make more money. Sorry, that makes them bad people, imo. 

And you absolutely have reasonable ground to believe so.  I think, on the whole, they are doing more harm than good also.

I just wouldn't demonize them quite the way they are.  Same goes for the ridiculous way the right treats Obama.  (Who seems to be a genuinely good person doing largely good things.  Or at least having good intentions)

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,956 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Ladies and Gentleman, your Time Magazine Person of the Year 2016 is....... 

donald-trump-person-of-year.jpg

#31 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,685 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Ladies and Gentleman, your Time Magazine Person of the Year 2016 is....... 

donald-trump-person-of-year.jpg

Notice the horns...

• USAFChief, nicksaviking and twinsnorth49 like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#32 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

Trump Picks Scott Pruitt, Climate Change Dissenter, to Lead E.P.A.

Whelp.

#33 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

Holy ****, CNN had on some union leader and trump in REAL time tweeted some nonsense about the interview.

One would think he has more important things to do at this stage then watch CNN all day....
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#34 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

Whelp.

That is my buddies boss, I will try to get the scoop on what Pruitt is really like.

#35 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:50 PM

That is my buddies boss, I will try to get the scoop on what Pruitt is really like.

You and your buddies today, Dave. 

• DaveW and TheLeviathan like this

#36 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

You and your buddies today, Dave.

Turns out He left that job a year ago, he didn't have anything nice to say about the guys politics. Said he's a good enough person however....... Going to roll back regulations decades, count on it.

Edited by DaveW, 07 December 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#37 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• 4,506 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

I wonder if Donald Trump is the beginning of something new in politics. I don't think anyone will argue with me too much if I say Mike Pence will be calling shots and making decisions more than any VP in the history of our country.

It could become a popularity/handsome/beauty show.

Maybe the D's will nominate George Clooney or Meryl Streep for POTUS in 2020.

Maybe the R's will nominate James Woods or Jon Voight for POTUS in 2020.

'Nuff' said.:)

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#38 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:40 AM

Meh, Truman became POTUS and he arguably had about as much "qualifications" as trump:

Multiple time failed business owner? Check

Put into policitics to begin with as a more or less joke? Check
Super big long shot prior to the conventions? Check

Even with momentum a long shot to ever become acting POTUS? Check

I mean we all know Truman came in and didn't make any huge decisions that changed the course of WORLD history, right? 

Wait.....****.

We are ****ed.

#39 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,772 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Whelp.

Hmm, the President who created the EPA was ultimately impeached, so there's that.

#40 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,772 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:44 AM

I wonder if Donald Trump is the beginning of something new in politics. I don't think anyone will argue with me too much if I say Mike Pence will be calling shots and making decisions more than any VP in the history of our country.

I'll argue Disco Dick Cheney has a stake in that claim.
  • USAFChief and Bark's Lounge like this