Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

POTUS Donald Trump

• Please log in to reply
3915 replies to this topic

#3901 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

End citizens United. I'm sure it benefits democrats too, but it helps the gop way more.

It absolutely helps the Democrats.

It helps everyone keep things just the way they are and to push corporate and special interest agendas over the good of the people.

• LaBombo, PseudoSABR and TheLeviathan like this

#3902 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

SCOTUS giving more and more rights to corporations might be the worst thing this court does. 

• PseudoSABR likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#3903 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

SCOTUS giving more and more rights to corporations might be the worst thing this court does.

This was part of my hesitation with Kavanaugh. His propensity to side consistently against individuals and for corporations and executive power.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#3904 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for being so thoughtful; but first, I have to say there's a false equivalency (that may well prove true over time, but certainly not now) in terms of dealing blame for the strife. Antifa? Give me a break. That's not actually a movement that has support among the left.Sure we are all anti-fascist, but there are no political candidates supporting that movement.Unlike, the right, which tacitly and openly seems to support some awful white supremacist, among other right wing awfulness. 

There is a divide, and it has grown through tribalism, and really, the clever and effective right wing propaganda machine.The left just isn't as "sophisticated" or as motivated (no profit in it) to make such propaganda, though, of course they do, just not in the mobilized, in-sync effort of the right.  

Dividing up the country is completely insane.And would dissolve in to war over resources inevitably.Let's not play that out (i.e. the West running out of water/the South running out of minable of resources).  

We are at a unique point in history where the populace has access to more information then they have been educated to deal with.This is a failing of our society as it was anticipated.But lest not forget that the right is always the enemy of critical thinking and it is that *inevitability* that will provide our solace.(In other words a bunch of dumb people have access to the internet (information) when they didn't before).Each subsequent generation will learn to be cynical of social media news, and professional media, to the point that they will reject it and hopefully learn for themselves (which I think is an inevitability).  

And in our time people are prone to the narrative that they are victims and their fellow Americans are the perpetrators (minorities/liberals); but that narrative will lose steam, as the tax cuts don't make really help out most people, and really, there aren't and new jobs.What growth there is in the GDP reflects the wealthy gaining more and more, not wages which actually impact real people who vote. 

I mean it's a bit cool to imagine the country dividing that the coasts would form their own countries with the midwest and the south another one or several.It's neat to think about. But unlike the USSR the states (save Texas and a few others) have had no independence prior to the formation of the USA; there is no cultural ethnicity with each state could rally its independence. 

There may come a time that we must take arms to defend what we believe is right, but I believe that will be a world-wide phenomenon.Maybe a necessary one, given the uber-wealthy's unwillingness to cede any power at all. For my part, we've been living in a "let them have cake" scenario and been okay with it, as along as we get ours (as Americans), even at the expense of the people of the world generally.

Has there ever been a time when people weren't prone to feeling victims?The GOP has been working this strategy for over 30 years. They aren't about to change it. I'm still looking for a good answer of how to undo the fact that every single voice of authority people hear in the conservative south says the same things, even the church of a god of peace and love and truth.....

• PseudoSABR likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#3905 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Think they are all chuckling with Donald - telling him "good one" when he used his official twitter feed to gloat and call a woman "horse face".

Sadly, the fact that this painting is actually hanging in the White House and the President of the United States is calling one woman "Horse Face" and another woman "Pocahontas" ignoring all of the requests by Native American tribes not to use that name in that fashion, and it is not someOnion article .

Notice how he has come out much stronger against these women than the Saudis for their murder of an American resident (who he makes sure that you know is not an American citizen every time he can).

I am pretty sure Teddy would have hated Trump, as would have most people in that painting.

980x.jpg

#3906 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

Has there ever been a time when people weren't prone to feeling victims?The GOP has been working this strategy for over 30 years. They aren't about to change it. I'm still looking for a good answer of how to undo the fact that every single voice of authority people hear in the conservative south says the same things, even the church of a god of peace and love and truth.....

"Woe is us" knows no political affiliation.There are lots of potential Dem voters in the south as several candidates have shown.You know how you get people to change?

Start making them lose elections.

• LaBombo likes this

#3907 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

"Woe is us" knows no political affiliation.There are lots of potential Dem voters in the south as several candidates have shown.You know how you get people to change?

Start making them lose elections.

That's our plan for getting people that live in the South to change their attitude toward immigrants, and minorities, and gays and, and, and? Beat them in elections?

#3908 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:34 PM

That's our plan for getting people that live in the South to change their attitude toward immigrants, and minorities, and gays and, and, and? Beat them in elections?

Yes, the best way to advance progress is to win elections, put forward policy, and pull society along.

You're asking why you can't teach an old dog new tricks.Have you not interacted with other humans?Have you not experienced how hard it is to change one mind, much less millions?You can't, not quickly or effectively or with any one strategy.Accept that and move on to strategies that can actually work. 

The South didn't move past slavery, Jim Crow, or anything else but by pushing a progressing society down their throat.Why would you expect the answer to be anything else?  

#3909 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:40 PM

Yes, the best way to advance progress is to win elections, put forward policy, and pull society along.

You're asking why you can't teach an old dog new tricks.Have you not interacted with other humans?Have you not experienced how hard it is to change one mind, much less millions?You can't, not quickly or effectively or with any one strategy.Accept that and move on to strategies that can actually work. 

The South didn't move past slavery, Jim Crow, or anything else but by pushing a progressing society down their throat.Why would you expect the answer to be anything else?  

Much of the South hasn't moved past that still, hundreds or dozens of years later. And we expect that to change? That doesn't seem realistic at this point.

#3910 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:12 PM

I don't expect them to change.I don't care if they do.We can't hold up society waiting for them.

• snepp and PseudoSABR like this

#3911 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:55 PM

Think they are all chuckling with Donald - telling him "good one" when he used his official twitter feed to gloat and call a woman "horse face".

Sadly, the fact that this painting is actually hanging in the White House and the President of the United States is calling one woman "Horse Face" and another woman "Pocahontas" ignoring all of the requests by Native American tribes not to use that name in that fashion, and it is not someOnion article .

Notice how he has come out much stronger against these women than the Saudis for their murder of an American resident (who he makes sure that you know is not an American citizen every time he can).

I am pretty sure Teddy would have hated Trump, as would have most people in that painting.

980x.jpg

Interestingly, you posted the Democrat painting (which I hadn't seen), it's the Republican one you were referring to, right?

#3912 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

Interestingly, you posted the Democrat painting (which I hadn't seen), it's the Republican one you were referring to, right?

Yep - did it really quick - must have copied the wrong URL from the google images choices.

The Democratic version is really kind of obnoxious as well. A few of the personalities would have definitely clashed and Wilson and Jackson would not have wanted to be at the same table as Obama.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#3913 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:51 PM

I don't expect them to change. I don't care if they do. We can't hold up society waiting for them.

How does it move forward, if thirty percent won't? That's a large, large, percent.

#3914 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:55 PM

How does it move forward, if thirty percent won't? That's a large, large, percent.

Didn't you just admit that they mostly haven't moved forward for a long time now?Yet society most certainly has.  

So....I guess I don't see why you find those two hard to reconcile?There has always been a segment of the population that's a bunch of insufferable a-holes.I wish there was a Disney movie solution, but I'm also a realist.

MLK's quote about the arc of justice comes to mind.We just gotta keep bending it, whether they come along or not.Wasting time trying to change their minds seems like a poor use of time and effort.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 16 October 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#3915 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

Trump: "I have a natural instinct for science"

#3916 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,269 posts