Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

POTUS Donald Trump

• Please log in to reply
3077 replies to this topic

#3061 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,019 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

Trump bombs Damascus

Not sure how or where to focus my rage. Suggestions welcome.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#3062 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:44 PM

I really hope for a number of things. I'm shocked we carried out an attack. Our foreign policy with Syria was a failure for allowing Assad to keep murdering people, but I'm not sure this is the right decision. I'd much rather have directly eliminated Assad.

My hopes:
1. No civilians died.
2. We collaborated with our NATO allies.
3. These strikes were precise and controlled.
4. There is no retaliation.
5. Russia gets kicked out of the United Nations (far fetched).
Do or do not. There is no try.

#3063 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,504 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:05 AM

I really hope for a number of things. I'm shocked we carried out an attack. Our foreign policy with Syria was a failure for allowing Assad to keep murdering people, but I'm not sure this is the right decision. I'd much rather have directly eliminated Assad.

My hopes:
1. No civilians died.
2. We collaborated with our NATO allies.
3. These strikes were precise and controlled.
4. There is no retaliation.
5. Russia gets kicked out of the United Nations (far fetched).

To my surprise, the Russian news agency states that there were no casualties, civilian or military, in the strikes. If anyone was going to exaggerate, I figured it would be them. There is a statement that there will be consequences, but who knows what that means. They're convening an emergency session of the UN to discuss the aggression - business as usual, in that regard.

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

#3064 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

Military actions like this to help stop atrocities are complicated issues, but it seems like in the end we don't end up helping people and often make things worse.I also don't trust Trump's motives of why he is really doing this.

I am sure my anti-Trump bias colored my viewing of his statement last night, but it seemed to me that instead of being burdened with the grave responsibility of this sort of action, he seemed excited and has been wanting to play war all along. 

Right now he is tweeting about how great we are and how no one will be anywhere as good as us.He is taking the moment to brag.Everything is about being the best and a winner to him.We have someone with the emotional maturity of a 5th grader making these decisions.

Edited by D. Hocking, 14 April 2018 - 07:10 AM.

• stringer bell likes this

#3065 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:12 AM

To my surprise, the Russian news agency states that there were no casualties, civilian or military, in the strikes. If anyone was going to exaggerate, I figured it would be them. There is a statement that there will be consequences, but who knows what that means. They're convening an emergency session of the UN to discuss the aggression - business as usual, in that regard.

That's because we told Russia our targets, who in turn warned Syria.
Supposedly they evacuated all the targets in time.

#3066 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,849 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

Sean Hannity is also a Cohen client they tried to hide.

#3067 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

Sean Hannity is also a Cohen client they tried to hide.

I wonder what actual legal services Cohen provided Hannity. I doubt it was estate planning.

Is the reason they wanted to hide this is to keep up the myth of Hannity's disinterestedness?

#3068 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

I was just going to post about Hannity.I know you should not wish ill on anyone, but I would not be overly upset if Hannity somehow went down in all of this.

At a "journalist", should not he have revealed his connection when reporting stories involving him?It might raise questions of whether he is impartial and non-biased.

Da7StZfX0AI86-C.jpg

• gunnarthor likes this

#3069 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

If Fox had any standards, Hannity would be suspended for that stunt but they'll just say he's not a journalist and therefore doesn't have to obey any journalistic standards. They'll stick with him until the profits go away and then they'll cut bait with him just like they did with O'Reilly. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#3070 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

Speaking of Trump, I thought this was funny.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#3071 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

I really hope Hannity gets his. He is a stain on our society. Paid to twist an agenda to people, and is the very epitome of problems we face in this country.

#3072 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

Also, not a single mention of this in the fox website. I'm really not sure what they have to do in order to get blown up. Scandal after scandal, conflict of interest after conflict of interest. I wish their viewers would take a step back and realize this is what they are endorsing and voting for in the polls.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#3073 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,504 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Also, not a single mention of this in the fox website. I'm really not sure what they have to do in order to get blown up. Scandal after scandal, conflict of interest after conflict of interest. I wish their viewers would take a step back and realize this is what they are endorsing and voting for in the polls.

They did have a 2+ minute clip of him "setting the record straight", on their front page this morning. He wasted just about a full minute of that time, feeding resentment by playing rapid-fire soundbites from other news sources mentioning his name. Boo hoo.

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

#3074 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:28 PM

I am not a huge Barbara Bush fan, but how classy of Trump to finally acknowledging her health problems by just retweeting the RNC tweet - no words of his own.Although when you keep tweeting about your poll numbers, it is hard to spend time on other less important, less narcissistic issues.

Speaking of the RNC, the fact that they set up a web-page calling "Lyin Comey and have adopted Trump's name-calling tactics will make it a bit harder for them to distance the party from Trump if his Presidency collapses.He really is the party and whether they pretend otherwise or not, they have adopted right down to his dog-whistles and his questionable endorsements.

• Mike Sixel and PseudoSABR like this

#3075 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

Military actions like this to help stop atrocities are complicated issues, but it seems like in the end we don't end up helping people and often make things worse.I also don't trust Trump's motives of why he is really doing this.

I am sure my anti-Trump bias colored my viewing of his statement last night, but it seemed to me that instead of being burdened with the grave responsibility of this sort of action, he seemed excited and has been wanting to play war all along. 

Right now he is tweeting about how great we are and how no one will be anywhere as good as us.He is taking the moment to brag.Everything is about being the best and a winner to him.We have someone with the emotional maturity of a 5th grader making these decisions.

Honestly, I don't really disagree with showing force against al-Assad. He's an awful person backed by some pretty awful countries.

But any time a bomb is dropped, I have to ask:

How many homes and communities could we build around the world for each one of these things dropped on brown people?

As you said, it's complicated. al-Assad is a monster propped up by the countries that truly stand in the way of progress (and it shouldn't be lost on us that Trump is drawing a line in the sand against Russia here when he has no interest in doing so about the election interference and general chaos they're causing around the world via the internet).

Personally, I'm so fed up with Russia that I'd like to see the President take a back-breaking stance of intolerance against them and force a potential cold war again. We'd have all the same allies and they'd lose again, just as they did last time. The game they're playing only exists when no one stands up to them and forces better behavior.

Russia can't stand on its own and we're allowing them to drive a wedge small enough that nations like China still tepidly back them. Force that wedge deeper and make China stay out of it (along with nations like France that receive cheap natural resources), leaving Russia on its own.

No one worth mentioning is truly married to Russia. Put the screws to them.

• Carole Keller, PseudoSABR and Badsmerf like this

#3076 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,282 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Maybe instead of bombing people, we should kill the actual source of the problem....

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#3077 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

Trump surrogates are talking like Trump might have committed a crime.  http://nymag.com/dai...n=sharebutton-t

#3078 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

This summarizes it better than I would:

Morgan J. Freeman
‏Verified account @mjfree
6m6 minutes ago

So I’m clear, @realDonaldTrump gaslighted a reputable reporter while en route to his golf course while past presidents paid respects at Barbara Bush’s funeral?