Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Mastroanni

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

This came up the other night in the game thread....but giving this guy some significant time at 2B in September is worth a shot right? Does anyone know about his past with this position? His bat and speed are intriguing - especially when you look at what we have available at the position in the near future.

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

6 games there this year, 100% fielding and 3.4 range factor. In 2007 61 games .962% with a 4.16 range factor. Not too bad. Think it would be worth a shot at least.

#3 Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

It looks like he played 2nd his 1st year as a pro (A-) and then was switched to OF. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's probably a reach. Casilla will probably be gone next year. But I think they have Carroll signed for next year. So, a mix of Carroll, Dozier, Escobar, Floriman will probably cover SS, 2nd and UT. Plus it would not shock me if they try to get some value out of Nishi (I think he still has a year too). So, assuming he isn't embarrassing himself at AAA he could be in the mix next year too (*shudder*).

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

At least Mastraionni has one legit tool. He could be an Emilio Bonafacio type player sans switch hitting. I wonder if extended AB might expose him, but at this point it's worth a shot. We have nothing to lose.

#5 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Don't think his bat will hold up as a starter anywhere, but he's looking like a quality 4th OF and a very nice RH complement to Revere.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,304 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Mastroanni.

Mastraionni.

M-A-S-T-R-O-I-A-N-N-I

DickNBert pronounce it like the first version above, but it is incorrect.

I like him. I think he is probably the best 4th OF the Twins have had recently
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I don't have any delusion of him being a star, but people might think he's a lefty killer, but his splits are pretty even. He brings a lot of speed, mediocre pop, and a pretty aggressive approach. It's worth a shot IMO.

#8 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

It's entertaining to see the same poster who spent thousands of words this spring (on another site) ridiculing the idea that Plouffe--who made it to the major leagues as a SS--might be an interesting option at 2nd base...turn around and propose putting an outfielder there.

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

Have you seen him play it? If he's bad at it like Plouffe is I retract my experiment request. I saw Plouffe play short terribly and posters here have made solid points about why third works for Plouffe and middle infield probably never will. You can cling to your delusion though.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

It might be worth a shot, it might not. Honestly, I don't really care much because I don't think Mastrioanni has the bat to start anywhere. But I'm pleasantly surprised at his play as fourth outfielder.

#11 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

I have brought up this notion in the past as well and think it is something the Twins should seriously consider in September. I wonder if the main reason he was moved to OF in the minors was because of his speed? Quickness and footwork in the middle infield is critical, but a guy like Mastro can just flat out run, and I bet many MLB organizations would be tempted to me him to the outfield. If anything it would add to his versatility as a big league player and make him a better tool for the club. Sadly, like many hopes and dreams we all have on here, I am sure the Twins will do the exact opposite.

#12 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

I'd say give it a shot. You know pretty much what Carroll and Casilla bring, and until Rosario is ready to come up you might as well keep auditioning. PS - hopefully Escobar gets called up in Sept. to push Dozier as well.

Edited by crarko, 02 August 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#13 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

I think the Twins have found a position (4th outfielder) and a workload for Mastroianni that really works for him and benefits the team. Even as the younger guys come up, he still can fill that role. I suppose adding the flexibility of second base makes him a bit more valuable . . . however I agree with several others that it's possible he'll lose production if he gets too many at bats.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

It might be worth a shot, it might not. Honestly, I don't really care much because I don't think Mastrioanni has the bat to start anywhere.

I guess I struggle with the idea that Mastro's bat won't make it but Dozier's inept play somehow warrants a continued look?

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

I guess I struggle with the idea that Mastro's bat won't make it but Dozier's inept play somehow warrants a continued look?

Well, Dozier is a natural middle infielder, is a year younger than Darin, and posted an OPS .060 higher in the minors than Mastrioanni.

Like I said, I'm not necessarily against the idea if the Twins think Darin could pull it off. I just don't think that his numbers give much hope for MI relief, especially since he hasn't played there in quite some time.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to try to move Revere to second (though, with his current play, I'm not crazy about that idea either... leave him be).

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Well, Dozier is a natural middle infielder, is a year younger than Darin, and posted an OPS .060 higher in the minors than Mastrioanni.

Like I said, I'm not necessarily against the idea if the Twins think Darin could pull it off. I just don't think that his numbers give much hope for MI relief, especially since he hasn't played there in quite some time.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to try to move Revere to second (though, with his current play, I'm not crazy about that idea either... leave him be).

I don't want to randomnly move people, I'm just intrigued he played it in the past. If they moved him because he's inept at the position - than I don't even want to experiment. But if they moved him because they felt it was a better fit or organizational need....then it may be worth a gamble.

At this point Dozier isn't showing much of anything to make me think he can be a starter. He's a rookie and he could reverse things, but he's been downright putrid now all season. With the lack of organizational options, I'm game to try Mastro there if he can capably field it.

I'm not interested in throwing anyone out there that will be a liability in the field.

#17 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

.890 OPS with pluys defense!!!

#18 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Don't think his bat will hold up as a starter anywhere, but he's looking like a quality 4th OF and a very nice RH complement to Revere.

I don't think Revere needs a platoon compliment. He hits RH and LH pitching about the same.

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

I don't think Revere needs a platoon compliment. He hits RH and LH pitching about the same.

SSS - so does Mastro. These aren't your classic platoon guys.

Maybe Mastro can play CF on the road - that's where we need a platoon.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I don't want to randomnly move people, I'm just intrigued he played it in the past. If they moved him because he's inept at the position - than I don't even want to experiment. But if they moved him because they felt it was a better fit or organizational need....then it may be worth a gamble.

True. If they moved him because they needed an OF, it would make a lot of sense to move him back because the team now needs IF help.

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

.890 OPS with pluys defense!!!

Oh, shut it. :D

#22 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

SSS - so does Mastro. These aren't your classic platoon guys.

Maybe Mastro can play CF on the road - that's where we need a platoon.

I'm not crazy about Revere as a starting corner OF, platoon or not.

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

2012 off-season- Trade Span for pitching 2013 off-season- Trade Revere for pitching 2014 OF alignment- Hicks CF, Arcia, Benson, Willingham DH, Mastrio 4th OF

#24 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Oh, shut it. :D

I'm gonna give you **** about that forever.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm gonna give you **** about that forever.

In all fairness, I said that I never expected him to repeat his .890 OPS... But I thought .800 was possible.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

In all fairness, I said that I never expected him to repeat his .890 OPS... But I thought .800 was possible.

Might wanna cut that one in half at this point.

#27 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm just giving you **** man, it's no big deal.

The one thing that makes me question if Doz will ever be a starting player is controling the strike zone. He was so good in the minors at talking walks and rarely striking out and now that seems like the complete opposite since he's been in the majors. I didn't expect him to come up and rake right away, but I thought he'd walk enough to be valuable still he figured things out.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

I'm just giving you **** man, it's no big deal.

The one thing that makes me question if Doz will ever be a starting player is controling the strike zone. He was so good in the minors at talking walks and rarely striking out and now that seems like the complete opposite since he's been in the majors. I didn't expect him to come up and rake right away, but I thought he'd walk enough to be valuable still he figured things out.

That's what I find baffling about him. Coming through the minors, his calling cards were steady hands on defense and good plate discipline.

Inextricably, those are his two biggest weaknesses in the majors.

#29 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

That's what I find baffling about him. Coming through the minors, his calling cards were steady hands on defense and good plate discipline.

Inextricably, those are his two biggest weaknesses in the majors.

Rookie jitters, speed of the game...who knows.

Atleast Gardy has let him play and hasn't jerked him around like so many rookies of the past.

#30 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Its pretty rare to see poeple move from OF to middle IF. My guess is if Mastro had the defensive chops to stick at 2b be would never have been moved to OF in the first place. Fielding ground balls is tougher than catching fly balls. Thats why most major leaguers were SS's somewhere in their past but keep getting moved to easier positions as they enter pro ball or move through the minors. Could Mastro give you an inning or two, maybe a game, without killing you? Yeah probably. Thinking he can learn to play 2nd base full time at this point? Extremely doubtful.