Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Kennys Vargas callout to Thrylos, Jeremy, someone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

In looking up Rosario's stats I noticed that Vargas is 'unadopted' and more importantly, has hit 6 HRs in his first 9 games at Beloit, I assume he is coming off a significant injury? I only remember his name out there and having signed as an undrafted FA.Today is his birthday, as he turns 22. Even more pleasantly noticed, he's 6'5" and 215, perfect for 1B, along with a nice mix of OBP and SLG. Does anyone have a full rundown on his long-term chances?

#2 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

I don't know all the details, but he was serving a 50-game suspension for failing a drug test, hence the late start to his season. He has come out of the gate strong. I was at the Beloit game last night and saw his 6th HR, and it was to straight-away center; there was no doubt in anybody's mind when he hit it that it was gone.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

I don't know all the details, but he was serving a 50-game suspension for failing a drug test, hence the late start to his season. He has come out of the gate strong. I was at the Beloit game last night and saw his 6th HR, and it was to straight-away center; there was no doubt in anybody's mind when he hit it that it was gone.

Thanks SB for the great info. Questions. Does he pass the eye test better as a future MLB player or former MLB juicer?

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks SB for the great info. Questions. Does he pass the eye test better as a future MLB player or former MLB juicer?

Seth will be in Beloit Thursday-Sunday. I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Hopefully we'll be able to give you a good, concrete answer after that. It was a weight-loss supplement, not HGH, so I think he can still make a name out of himself.

The fact that his numbers are translating from E-town to Beloit are encouraging, but it's early...

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Seth will be in Beloit Thursday-Sunday. I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Hopefully we'll be able to give you a good, concrete answer after that. It was a weight-loss supplement, not HGH, so I think he can still make a name out of himself.The fact that his numbers are translating from E-town to Beloit are encouraging, but it's early...

Wow, 50 game suspension for diet pills? Thanks Jeremy, I look forward to your reports.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

I do think that vargas is a legitimate prospect. incredible power from both sides of the plate. it's unfortunate that helost that time, especially since the suspension didn't continue this year until the stime lostort season began. that's development time lost.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

I do think that vargas is a legitimate prospect. incredible power from both sides of the plate. it's unfortunate that helost that time, especially since the suspension didn't continue this year until the stime lostort season began. that's development time lost.

Thanks Seth. Look forward to your reports too. Hopefully someone can get a quote or two out of Vargas, Rosario, Sano, etc.!