Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016 Twins Minor League Free Agents

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

Here is a list of players who were with the Twins who are now free agents:

Minnesota Twins (18)
RHP: Jason Adam (AA), Omar Bencomo (AAA), Edward Mujica (AAA), Neil Ramirez (AAA), Marcus Walden (AAA), Alex Wimmers (AAA)
LHP: Logan Darnell (AAA), Pat Dean (AAA), Nick Greenwood (AAA)
C: Carlos Paulino (AAA), Yeison Perez (DSL), Jairo Rodriguez (AA)
2B: James Beresford (AAA), Tommy Field (AAA), Aderlin Mejia (Hi A)
SS: Heiker Meneses (AAA), Wilfredo Tovar (AAA)
OF: Reynaldo Rodriguez (AAA)

• glunn likes this

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

A reminder... Niko Goodrum would have been on this list, but he did re-sign with the Twins. 

• glunn likes this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,500 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

any thoughts/predictions, Seth?

• glunn likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 Gagne Fan

Gagne Fan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

The above list contains 14 players who played for the Red Wings last year
  • glunn likes this

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

A fair number of these are good depth pieces, would like to see them resign Wimmers, Edward Mujica, and some of the others.  

• glunn likes this

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

any thoughts/predictions, Seth?

Not really... I'd think an arm or two would be back. I can certainly see Beresford coming back. I'm sure they'd like to keep Darnell and Dean. But it'd all depend on need at that point. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,242 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:30 AM

I'm sure they'd like to keep Darnell and Dean.

Why?

I mean, beyond the need to have a warm body to chuck the ball to Garver 100+ times a game so he continues to develop behind the plate.

• jud6312 likes this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#8 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

Left-handers that can be starters or relievers are even more important to AAA teams, where the outings are more regimented (i.e. certain pitchers don't go over 1 inning and most don't throw on back-to-back days).

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

Why?

I mean, beyond the need to have a warm body to chuck the ball to Garver 100+ times a game so he continues to develop behind the plate.

Who else is going to pitch in Rochester next season? The big prospects most likely start at Chattanooga. That leaves Hurlbut and Wheeler in Rochester. Slegers could move up. Baxendale could start again. Berrios could start there again. 

I'm answering my question in a stream of consciousness, but they do need pitchers at that level. Also, those two could be solid bullpen options too.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

Who else is going to pitch in Rochester next season? The big prospects most likely start at Chattanooga. That leaves Hurlbut and Wheeler in Rochester. Slegers could move up. Baxendale could start again. Berrios could start there again. 

I'm answering my question in a stream of consciousness, but they do need pitchers at that level. Also, those two could be solid bullpen options too.

It all depends on who the MLB-level pitchers are.If they keep Santana, Hughes, Gibson, Santiago, I would suspect that the fifth would be May or Duffey (the loser to the pen.)That would leave Mejia, Berrios, Wheeler, Hurlbut, Slegers, Gonsalves etc etc to fight it out.I hope that at least Santana and Santiago go, but AAA really depends on the majors.

The only one I would maybe try to re-sign from that list is Heiker Menesas, because he is still young (25) and has some potential.Lots of more intriguing MiLB FAs out there, including this guy, and this guy, as far as LHPs go, over Darnell and Dean

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:40 PM

wouldn't mind Dean and Darnell back as fillers. Wimmers is the one gut I'd like to see back.

I'd like to think Wheeler, Mejia and Gonsalves would be starting in AAA. Slegers could be there. Not certain after that.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:57 AM

Carlos Paulino signed with the Marlins. 

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

Not a 2016 Twins player, but Minnesotan and former Twins LHP Caleb Thielbar has signed a minor league deal with the Marlins as well. He played for the Saints in 2016.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:09 PM

It appears that Wilfredo Tovar is signing (maybe has signed) with the Cardinals: 

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,919 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

Personally, I hope they can find a nice Rochester arm in the AAA portion of Rule 5.I also hope they go out and sign a couple of younger AAAA type arms for Rochester. I tend to fall under the Billy Beane line of thinking here that even the AAAA guys can figure it out, they just need more time. That would be my depth plan given the arms sitting in AA.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

We saw last week that Pat Dean signed to play in Korea.

Per Baseball America's minor league transactions, Alex Wimmers has re-signed with the Twins. 

• Monkeypaws likes this

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Also, Neil Ramirez signed with the Giants. 

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,500 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

Wimmers.....he could be the 6th man / long man. I hope he is a RP in AAA, though, as that's his most likely path to ML success, IMO.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Wimmers.....he could be the 6th man / long man. I hope he is a RP in AAA, though, as that's his most likely path to ML success, IMO.

He's been a reliever for the last year and a half or more, so I'm sure that's his role.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

Catcher Dan Rohlfing announced on social media this afternoon that he will be returning to the #MNTwins organization, the team that drafted him in the 2007 draft. He's spent the last two seasons with the Mets and then the Diamondbacks.