Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016-2017 MLB Off-season Thread

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#81 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:38 AM

Levi stepped way out on a limb with that'n, too. :)

I'm going to double down on that limb and predict cold weather in Minnesota for about three more months too. If I keep this up I might be able to get my own show!
  • USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

#82 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,431 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

I'm going to double down on that limb and predict cold weather in Minnesota for about three more months too. If I keep this up I might be able to get my own show!

Way too real to have a show.....what's the shtick, the truth? good luck with that...

Edited by Mike Sixel, 09 December 2016 - 09:07 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#83 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

Way too real to have a show.....what's the shtick, the truth? good luck with that...

I doubt my good looks will carry it either....

Welp so much for that dream.  Guess it's back to baseball offseason news!

#84 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

Ken Rosenthal tweets that CF Dexter Fowler signed a 5 year, $82.5 million contract with the St. Louis Cardinals... Also includes a full no-trade clause. 

#85 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

Ken Rosenthal tweets that CF Dexter Fowler signed a 5 year, $82.5 million contract with the St. Louis Cardinals... Also includes a full no-trade clause. 

wow, Cubs fans are going to go nuts.  From loved player to intensely hated.

#86 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

wow, Cubs fans are going to go nuts.  From loved player to intensely hated.

Gonna guess Cubs fans will be a bit more mellow toward their traditional rivals now. :)

#87 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

Gonna guess Cubs fans will be a bit more mellow toward their traditional rivals now. :)

not according to every Cubs fan I know and have talked to this morning (about 20 of them or so:-))

One of the responses I can repeat is: 'Disgusting.  Any team but them.'

Edited by jimmer, 09 December 2016 - 12:15 PM.

#88 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

not according to every Cubs fan I know and have talked to this morning (about 20 of them or so:-))

One of the responses I can repeat is: 'Disgusting.  Any team but them.'

Chris Rose from Intentional Talk tweeted this out just a few minutes ago: 'How do Cubs fans feel about Dexter Fowler going to the Cardinals.  Big deal or just business.  Let us know at Intentional Talk.'

Edited by jimmer, 09 December 2016 - 01:12 PM.

#89 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

The winter of the Tyrell Jenkins hot potato continues. After being traded from the Braves to the Rangers, then DFA'd by the Rangers and being claimed by the Reds soon after, today he was DFA'd by the Reds and claimed by the Padres.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#90 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,231 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

The winter of the Tyrell Jenkins hot potato continues. After being traded from the Braves to the Rangers, then DFA'd by the Rangers and being claimed by the Reds soon after, today he was DFA'd by the Reds and claimed by the Padres.

In memory also of a recent Twins DFA/claimed/DFA/claimed/DFA/claimed who shall remain nameless:

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night dream,
If there's a DFA heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a team

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#91 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

The two most active GMs in the game are at it again:

Braves trade OF Mallex Smith and RHP Shae Simmons

Mariners trade LHPs Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#92 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

And then Dipoto can't sit still:

Mariners trade OF Mallex Smith, LHP Ryan Yarbrough, IF Cesar Vargas

Rays trade LHP Drew Smyly

#93 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

I like what the Mariners are putting together for sure.

• Mike Sixel and bluechipper like this

#94 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

I like what the Mariners are putting together for sure.

Do you have any idea what the Rays are doing? Seems like Smyly would fetch more than Smith and change. And don't they have enough outfielders already? Kiermaier, Souza, Dickerson, Rasmus, Mahtook... Almost feels like they are shedding money.

#95 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,431 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

The Mariners are going for it, given their limited payroll and farm system....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#96 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

The Mariners are going for it, given their limited payroll and farm system....

Their farm system really wasn't that limited. It was horribly mismanaged, but it had a ton of talent. Dipoto completely overhauled the people running the development system, and the industry raved about the difference in a single year in the approach of the team. They took the better performance of many of their players and spun them into deals to win at the big league level while they have a number of older players (Felix, Cano, Cruz), and then they'll be able to crack down into their system again, with guys like Kyle Lewis and Tyler O'Neill ready quite soon, Mike Zunino back on track after a development system that knew what they were doing with him, a whole load of pitching such that losing Gohara is losing one of the few "elite" arms they had, but only eliminated one of 5 guys they had in their system that topped triple digits - as a starter!

• Mike Sixel likes this

#97 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Do you have any idea what the Rays are doing? Seems like Smyly would fetch more than Smith and change. And don't they have enough outfielders already? Kiermaier, Souza, Dickerson, Rasmus, Mahtook... Almost feels like they are shedding money.

Absolutely they're shedding money. They've been trying to shed money for a while. They've entertained offers on Archer, Odorizzi, Smyly, and even Longoria this winter to shed cash.

One thing Smith does give them is a speed element that they have nowhere else on the team. He's not a center fielder by any other reason than he's fast (he has terrible routes to balls and calling his arm "average" would be a compliment), but he has true 80 grade speed on the 20-to-80 scouting scale, which allows him to cover up a lot of bad jumps for now. I've said for a while that he has a Juan Pierre upside.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#98 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Absolutely they're shedding money. They've been trying to shed money for a while. They've entertained offers on Archer, Odorizzi, Smyly, and even Longoria this winter to shed cash.

One thing Smith does give them is a speed element that they have nowhere else on the team. He's not a center fielder by any other reason than he's fast (he has terrible routes to balls and calling his arm "average" would be a compliment), but he has true 80 grade speed on the 20-to-80 scouting scale, which allows him to cover up a lot of bad jumps for now. I've said for a while that he has a Juan Pierre upside.

That still seems like a light return for Smyly. Mallex Smith strikes out way to much for the type of player he is- about 17% in the minors. And he's a really light bat for a corner outfielder.

#99 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

That still seems like a light return for Smyly. Mallex Smith strikes out way to much for the type of player he is- about 17% in the minors. And he's a really light bat for a corner outfielder.

The prospects are very, very good, though. They got two guys who are very high-ceiling, low-floor types, but both are guys are who could very possibly end up in the top 10 Rays and even top 100 overall prospects. Yarbrough is a favorite of mine, and Vargas has legit power, though he's probably a 3B going forward.

• bluechipper likes this

#100 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Royals LHP Danny Duffy isn't going anywhere. He signed a 5 year, $65 million contract this afternoon to stay in KC until 2021. 

He will earn $5 million this year before a bump to $14 million in 2018. He will make $15.25 million each in 2019 and 2020 and $15.5 million in the final year of the deal.