Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016-2017 MLB Off-season Thread

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:12 PM

Well, some of that could be rumor, but they got the 7th guy in the Astro's farm for an aging catcher being paid way too much money.  I think they did well.

I suppose it depends on who you talk with, but I didn't have to change my top 10 for the Astros system after the trade, and I talked with a lot of people in baseball about each system, so this was not just my viewing of them that made this opinion.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#22 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:13 PM

I thought the Astros had turned the page and gotten a bit smarter.  Then they sign Reddick to a ridiculous contract and that thought goes poof.

Yeah it seems excessive, but he's an upgrade over what they were getting from Colby Rasmus.

#23 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,438 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

Yeah it seems excessive, but he's an upgrade over what they were getting from Colby Rasmus.

at 13M a year, not enough of one.  not enough to validate that kind of move.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

Rangers sign SP Andrew Cashner - 1 year $10 million. 

That is reasonable. 

• HitInAPinch likes this

#25 benchwarmerjim

benchwarmerjim

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

Drew Butera resigns with the Royals

For a guy who can't hit and is a mediocre defensive catcher, he has sure stuck around. Good for him!

• Vanimal46 likes this

#26 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

Cardinals signed LHRP Brett Cecil to a 4 year $30.5 MM contact over the weekend. That also includes a full no-trade clause. He's had good stats over the last 4 years, and should be a solid back end of the bullpen for the Cards. 

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:03 AM

This Rangers thing is going to get ugly in a hurry:

http://sports.yahoo....-210055315.html

This is what is such a mess in the Dominican. I was talking with a former Angels front office guy, and he talked about working in the Dominican scouting, and he was told by a player that the three oldest teammates on the team he played on to prepare for his showcase forced any new player on the team to perform oral sex on them on their first day on the team. These were guys who were 19-20 forcing boys who were 13-15 to perform sexual acts. Is there any question we need to clean things up in Latin America?!

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

Segura for Walker is a good deal for Arizona.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

El Rudo

• Twins Mods
  • 14,999 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

Segura for Walker is a good deal for Arizona.

Not only does Arizona's park tend to inflate offense numbers, but so does their AAA affiliate in Reno. I'd like to know Seattle's thinking in this. Maybe they have real questions about the SS Marte who they gave up. But Walker alone seems like a very high price for what they got in return: a SS likely to return to earth, a backup CF, and a likely good reliever.

• TheLeviathan likes this

If you have to travel on the Titanic, at least go first class.

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

Marte's not very good for sure.

Segura is incredibly talented, but he had injury and an incredible personal tragedy that really killed about a year and a half. He's a premium player for sure.

• markos likes this

#31 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

Marte's not very good for sure.

Segura is incredibly talented, but he had injury and an incredible personal tragedy that really killed about a year and a half. He's a premium player for sure.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how he does in Seattle. I'm a bit surprised that they were willing to move Walker without getting pitching back. As I was researching potential Dozier landing spots, Seattle did make my list (assumed moving Cano to 1B), and I did include Walker in the trade. But my thought was a Dozier/Santana package to help their rotation - even with Walker they are short on starters.

FWIW, my return package was Walker, one of Tyler O'Neil or Drew Jackson, and then one or two interesting low-A arms. In light of this Segura trade, that might might have been light (IMO, Dozier > Segura).

#32 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:28 PM

I think fangraphs article title nails this trade. the teams traded upside and downside.

I think Segura isn't quite as good as his 2013/2016 numbers but he certainly isn't as bad as the years when he dealt with injury and personal issues. Walker is unrealized potential. He could be awesome or...

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:12 AM

Interesting move by the Brewers, bringing Eric Thames back from Korea and dropping Chris Carter:

http://www.mlbtrader...ric-thames.html

If nothing else, it should provide more data for future Korea-to-USA stat projections...

Edited by spycake, 29 November 2016 - 11:13 AM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#34 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Good for Eric Thames to go from a non-prospect in the MLB, to a slugger in Korea, to a $5+ million player back in the MLB. 

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

I should also note, for any teams craving Dozier's 42 HR power, they can now have Chris Carter's 41 HR power for virtually nothing.

Of course, "virtually nothing" also describes what Chris Carter provides on a baseball field, aside from those HR. :)

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#36 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

Cubs just signed Jon Jay to a one-year contract. Surprised that they (evidently) didn't expect to retain Fowler, or at least to have a strong chance at keeping him.

#37 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

Cubs just signed Jon Jay to a one-year contract. Surprised that they (evidently) didn't expect to retain Fowler, or at least to have a strong chance at keeping him.

I see it more that they believe they can Jay as a backup, but they also could have the idea to have him around as they give Almora the job.

#38 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,438 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

I see it more that they believe they can Jay as a backup, but they also could have the idea to have him around as they give Almora the job.

they can platton Jay and Almora
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#39 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

they can platton Jay and Almora

It'll be interesting to see what they do with their surplus of outfielders.

Edited by bluechipper, 30 November 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#40 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

The A's made a very A'sey signing today by getting Matt Joyce for 2 years and $11M. I'm surprised he got that much.

He bounced back from an awful 2015 to have a pretty solid 2016. His line was .242/.403/.463 (.866), but only had 293 PA.