Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016-2017 MLB Off-season Thread

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

We had a regular season thread... Might as well make an off-season thread to track signings, firings, trades, etc. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 03 October 2016 - 01:08 PM.

• ashburyjohn and biggentleben like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

Colorado Rockies manager Walt Weiss steps down from the role this afternoon. He finishes the season with a 75-87 record. The team's best record since 2010. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 03 October 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

Chicago White Sox Manager Robin Ventura steps down, and they just hired Rick Renteria to take over

Renteria was the bench coach for the White Sox, and is the only Latino born manager in the MLB.... Sad, really. 

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

There are two tremendously good managerial candidates that are Latin, but they take non-team jobs because of pay or stick with guys who are loyal to them. Those two are Alex Cora, who works with ESPN, and Dave Martinez, who is bench coach with the Chicago Cubs after staying with Maddon in the move from the Tampa Bay Rays. Both will someday be tremendous managers when a team is smart enough to hire them.

The Braves have Eddie Perez on their coachin gstaff, and he's been a "future manager" since the days he was Greg Maddux's personal catcher. So far, however, he's turned down every interview request outside the Braves organization. Whether he ends up the Braves manager this offseason is anyone's guess, but Perez will likely be another one down the line.

Edited by biggentleben, 03 October 2016 - 06:59 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

Brian Snitker sheds the interim tag, and will remain the Braves manager for 2017. They went 59-65 under his watch after Fredi Gonzalez was let go. 

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

Brian Snitker sheds the interim tag, and will remain the Braves manager for 2017. They went 59-65 under his watch after Fredi Gonzalez was let go. 

The bigger intriguing thing is that Ron Washington is brought in as third base coach, and reportedly, Bud Black was offered the pitching coach job as well.

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#7 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 1,905 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Rubio is absolutely the man. He doesn't need to take a single shot.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

The Atlanta Braves are swinging for the fences already this off-season. First, by signing 42 year old R.A. Dickey. Now they've signed 43 year old Bartolo Colon. Though I'm happy Colon stayed in the National League so we can still witness him batting. He's a national treasure. 

Ben, your thoughts? 

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

I called this, but we'll see if the second piece comes through. I stated on Braves forums that the Braves were one of few teams that had the pieces to pursue Sale, Quintana, or Archer. My thought was that they would protect giving up their younger arms by signing a couple of vet inning-eater arms and then trading away two of guys like Matt Wisler/Aaron Blair/Rob Whalen/John Gant/Tyrell Jenkins/Lucas Sims/Sean Newcomb who are at AA or higher as part of a deal to acquire a front of the rotation guy. Then in 2018, those two older arms are gone and the younger guys can ease into a rotation that's led by Julio Teheran, Mike Foltynewicz, and the new acquisition...

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

The Atlanta Braves are swinging for the fences already this off-season. First, by signing 42 year old R.A. Dickey. Now they've signed 43 year old Bartolo Colon. Though I'm happy Colon stayed in the National League so we can still witness him batting. He's a national treasure. 

Ben, your thoughts? 

fascinating strategy......clearly building a bridge to the future, and not trying to plug it with 4 mediocre FAs.....I can endorse this approach. 

Heck, if either is good in July, they trade them for anything at all.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

Cuban IF prospect Lourdes Gurriel signs with the Toronto Blue Jays for 7/$22 MM

http://www.mlbtrader...riel-cuba.html 

EDIT: The Blue Jays also signed DH Kendrys Morales to a 3/$33 MM contact as well. Looks like Edwin Encarnacion or Joey Bats, maybe both, are out the door. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 11 November 2016 - 03:11 PM.

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Incredible the poor reviews that Gurriel has had come out. I'm not sure he'll make my Blue Jays top 10...

• Mike Sixel likes this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

Lots of players have declined the QO so far:

Cespedes, Desmond, Encarnacion, Joey Bats, Trumbo, Jansen, Justin Turner, and Dexter Fowler. 

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Hellickson accepted.

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hellickson accepted.

Speechless.

Helps ESan's value!

• TheLeviathan likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#16 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

The Astros are going hard. Brian McCann and Josh Reddick in the same day. I'm guessing they'll have a nice bounce-back year in 2017. 

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

Reddick got significantly more than the FA Tracker estimated, most contracts are higher at this point.

The return on McCann was also pretty significant.

#18 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

Reddick got significantly more than the FA Tracker estimated, most contracts are higher at this point.

The return on McCann was also pretty significant.

Really? Compared to what they were asking the Braves, they settled hard, paying significant salary and getting two guys not in their top 10.

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,600 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

Really? Compared to what they were asking the Braves, they settled hard, paying significant salary and getting two guys not in their top 10.

Well, some of that could be rumor, but they got the 7th guy in the Astro's farm for an aging catcher being paid way too much money.  I think they did well.

#20 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

The Astros are going hard. Brian McCann and Josh Reddick in the same day. I'm guessing they'll have a nice bounce-back year in 2017. 

I thought the Astros had turned the page and gotten a bit smarter.  Then they sign Reddick to a ridiculous contract and that thought goes poof.

Edited by jimmer, 17 November 2016 - 09:32 PM.