Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016-2017 Wolves season

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#381 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

I think it is pretty well established that the Wolves need a larger wing (a 3 and D type) and a 3rd big.

Do you make a splash in FA going after someone like Ibaka or Otto Porter on a max (or close) contract? This would operate on the assumption that there would be limited cap space several years down the road but that is an issue several years away and I believe the Wolves can continue to resign their own players (like KAT and Wiggins) and just move into luxury tax territory. Lavine and/or Dieng would likely have to go at some point though.

The draft has a couple of players that fit the Wolves but there are so many small guards at the top limiting the choices for the Wolves. It is possible that they land a 3/4 that can develop into a role player by his 2nd season with upside for more though.

• bluechipper likes this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#382 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

Everybody beats him down physically. Everybody.

I think it's the other way around.

Plus, the guy's 21 years old. He's going to get stronger. He's a center.

#383 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

I think it is pretty well established that the Wolves need a larger wing (a 3 and D type) and a 3rd big.

Do you make a splash in FA going after someone like Ibaka or Otto Porter on a max (or close) contract? This would operate on the assumption that there would be limited cap space several years down the road but that is an issue several years away and I believe the Wolves can continue to resign their own players (like KAT and Wiggins) and just move into luxury tax territory. Lavine and/or Dieng would likely have to go at some point though.

The draft has a couple of players that fit the Wolves but there are so many small guards at the top limiting the choices for the Wolves. It is possible that they land a 3/4 that can develop into a role player by his 2nd season with upside for more though.

I think they go big in free agency this year. Otto Porter at the max would be target #1 for me.

• kab21 likes this

#384 BeenHazy

BeenHazy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMilford

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

I would see if the Celtics want to give up the 1-1 plus more for Wiggins.  Boston is getting by with Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart alongside Isaiah Thomas in an undersized backcourt, and Thomas is their only high usage star.  Wiggins and his one-way game would be a great fit there at the 2.  They're dueling for best in the Least now, but legit title contenders next year with Wiggins.

Wolves would grab Josh Jackson with the pick and let Thibs turn him into the player that Wiggins apparently doesn't care to be.  Jackson fits the Wolves timeline just fine, while the Celts' Thomas/Crowder/Horford window won't be open as long.  Lavine gets the high-usage wing role.

The 1-1 alone isn't enough.  Boston has Brooklyn's first next year as well, but that's too much for them to give up.  They also have LAC protected 1st 2019 (with complications through TOR and MEM) and a 2019 Memphis 1st.  The rights to one of those would balance the deal.

The Wolves could then use their own pick, the future pick in the Boston deal, or both in a trade to fill another need.  

• kab21 likes this

#385 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:36 AM

I would see if the Celtics want to give up the 1-1 plus more for Wiggins.  Boston is getting by with Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart alongside Isaiah Thomas in an undersized backcourt, and Thomas is their only high usage star.  Wiggins and his one-way game would be a great fit there at the 2.  They're dueling for best in the Least now, but legit title contenders next year with Wiggins.

Wolves would grab Josh Jackson with the pick and let Thibs turn him into the player that Wiggins apparently doesn't care to be.  Jackson fits the Wolves timeline just fine, while the Celts' Thomas/Crowder/Horford window won't be open as long.  Lavine gets the high-usage wing role.

The 1-1 alone isn't enough.  Boston has Brooklyn's first next year as well, but that's too much for them to give up.  They also have LAC protected 1st 2019 (with complications through TOR and MEM) and a 2019 Memphis 1st.  The rights to one of those would balance the deal.

The Wolves could then use their own pick, the future pick in the Boston deal, or both in a trade to fill another need.  

This would be a ballsy move. Trading a potential near elite player (with development) for a similar but unproven #1 overall pick and other good assets.

The one thing that makes sense in it is that Lavine is untradeable for a year until teams have seen how he has recovered but Wiggins value is at its highest (so far). This would allow you to solve the undersized wing issue by moving one of them for a pretty good return.

the downside is that it seems like a step in the wrong direction and delays the big improvement of the Wolves by making them younger again. It also ignores the benefit that Wiggins could get defensively if he could play the 2 and guard smaller players more often.

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#386 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

KAT is a 5, especially in the way the game is played today. There's what? 2 centers that can give him trouble (Cousins and Jokic)? I don't understand the thought that he's a 4 at all.

Two words Tim Duncan

#387 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

I think it's the other way around.

Plus, the guy's 21 years old. He's going to get stronger. He's a center.

He will get stronger, but he will never be a rim-protecting BIG man.

Why do people not like the idea of KAT being the best 4 in the league with the 5 reserved for defense?

#388 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

First of all, great post!

Second, I think KAT's a 4. And that's based on his inability to handle rough and tumble centers defensively. Team needs a true center.

Third, Rubio in my opinion, not only is our answer at PG, but he could be our third star. Call me crazy, I don't care.

Finally, I think we need to leverage Zach for an elite defending wing. Gotta have that to make the whole machine work. I love LaVine. Love him! But this team has needs.

You're crazy.Well, you DID dare me.

I, like most of us on this forum, really, really want Rubio to be a two-way star.He did have one good month.

Sorry, but I don't think he really wants to be in Minnesota, and I don't think the Wolves can contend for anything where, unlike many teams where the crowd gets excited when their PG has a wide open 3-pointer late in the game, the Wolves fans have a pained reaction.

#389 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Interesting, but not for Josh Jackson.

And any trade involving Andrew Wiggins would have to involve Toronto.

#390 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

He will get stronger, but he will never be a rim-protecting BIG man.

Why do people not like the idea of KAT being the best 4 in the league with the 5 reserved for defense?

The role of the rim protecting big man has been reduced so much in the last 5 years that many teams don't even play one. For example the Wolves signed Aldrich to do exactly what you suggested. And Thibs decided that it didn't work and even after Bjelica got hurt they were playing the likes of Payne or Bazz at the 4 instead of putting Aldrich in.

Here is what I want the Wolves to do with KAT. Pair him with a stretch 4 type that is fairly quick and can shoot from the outside. He doesn't have to be great but then the opposing classic rim protecting big man (Jordan, Drummond, Howard, etc...) has to chase KAT around on the perimeter where he (De'andre Jordan) isn't effective at all. 

• bluechipper likes this

#391 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

The role of the rim protecting big man has been reduced so much in the last 5 years that many teams don't even play one. For example the Wolves signed Aldrich to do exactly what you suggested. And Thibs decided that it didn't work and even after Bjelica got hurt they were playing the likes of Payne or Bazz at the 4 instead of putting Aldrich in.

Here is what I want the Wolves to do with KAT. Pair him with a stretch 4 type that is fairly quick and can shoot from the outside. He doesn't have to be great but then the opposing classic rim protecting big man (Jordan, Drummond, Howard, etc...) has to chase KAT around on the perimeter where he (De'andre Jordan) isn't effective at all. 

So, in short, you want to pair KAT with his identical twin."a stretch 4 type that is fairly quick and can shoot from the outside."Sounds like the Big KAT

#392 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

So, in short, you want to pair KAT with his identical twin."a stretch 4 type that is fairly quick and can shoot from the outside."Sounds like the Big KAT

You do know KAT gets a lot of his points in post ups, right?

#393 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

No, KAT is an elite player with skills that go far, far beyond what I am looking for. The dream pair for me would be Ibaka since he brings great defense to the equation as well. This would give opposing teams fits since all of the starters can shoot from outside (Rubio is the weakest shooter) and they all are very quick. Yet they still have the size to adequately guard larger lineups.

By moving KAT to the 4 and playing Aldrich or equivalent you give up most of those matchup advantages. And I am guessing that is why we rarely saw Aldrich this season despite a depleted bench. Thibs repeatedly went smaller with even Bazz playing the 4.

• bluechipper likes this

#394 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

The Wolves won the coin flip with the Knicks this afternoon, so they'll pick 6th if no one moves up in the lottery.

#395 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

How about our 6th overall this year, our 1st rounder next year, LaVine and Pek (see other post) for Jimmy Butler?

#396 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

How about our 6th overall this year, our 1st rounder next year, LaVine and Pek (see other post) for Jimmy Butler?

Wel, the bulls are pretty busy upsetting the no.1 seeded Celtics right now, so...

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#397 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

First - you can't just put quantity together to make a trade.

Second - I believe the Wolves can't trade next year's pick due to the still unfulfilled conditional 1st rd pick trade with the Hawks for Payne a couple of years ago.

• bluechipper likes this

#398 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

It's pretty ridiculous that KAT didn't make any all-NBA teams yesterday.

Also Draymond Green over Paul George...