Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016-2017 Wolves season

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#21 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:15 PM

Ben Bentil just hit the waiver wire. The Wolves have a potential roster spot. I wonder if they make a move there or if they're looking for more of a wing.

#22 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

Ben Bentil just hit the waiver wire. The Wolves have a potential roster spot. I wonder if they make a move there or if they're looking for more of a wing.

Good idea. Just let go of Adrien Payne. Bentil would be a nice upgrade at the end of the bench with some real upside.

He and Dunn sure were fun to watch play together last year.

#23 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

Dunn will be fine. Sheesh.

Let's hope so. It's just preseason, but he almost literally couldn't have played worse on offense than he did. I thought he might adjust quicker because of his age and experience, but it looks like there will still be a significant learning period.

His defense should keep him in the rotation as backup point guard, but the reports that the team thinks he will become the starter 20 games in are ridiculous and disrespectful to Rubio.

• Pardon My Dinger likes this

#24 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

Game Day!!!

#25 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

I'm thinking tonight's going to be a close one. Some kind of 98-96 final score or something like that, so I don't know who's going to win. But, I am sure that the Big Meow is going to make a statement. 32 points, 12 boards with my man Ruby feeding him all night long. 

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#26 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

I'm thinking tonight's going to be a close one. Some kind of 98-96 final score or something like that, so I don't know who's going to win. But, I am sure that the Big Meow is going to make a statement. 32 points, 12 boards with my man Ruby feeding him all night long. 

Chandler Parsons is out, so that helps. Talent-wise, this should be a Wolves win on the road, but Memphis is always a tough team to beat.

#27 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:10 PM

If this doesn't make for an interesting year, I don't know what does.

#28 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:48 PM

That's a tough loss to take. Memphis is a tough matchup, and it was on the road, but they started Andrew Harrison, JaMichael Green, and James Ennis. That's got to be a win.

6 made 3's for the Wolves. That's not going to get it done. Poor bench play and poor free throw shooting didn't help either

#29 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:40 AM

They need to fix the sloppiness and KAT cannot fall too much in love with the three point line.

#30 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:42 AM

Also, Zach Randolph is quite hard to deal with for the Wolves. 

• bluechipper likes this

#31 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

They need to fix the sloppiness and KAT cannot fall too much in love with the three point line.

Someone has to be hitting threes...might as well be KAT if he's got a good look.
  • bluechipper likes this

#32 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

Anybody else get the impression that Thibs is going to grow to hate Lavine?

#33 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

Anybody else get the impression that Thibs is going to grow to hate Lavine?

Those sloppy passes sure didn't help, but like you said earlier, somebody has to make 3's on this team, and Zach is the guy to do that. I also liked him attacking the rim quite a bit last night.

#34 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

Not t wolves related, but do you guys remember when Steve Urkell would go into that chamber and became Stefon? I think Stefon changed his name to CJ McCollum.

Edited by Pardon My Dinger, 27 October 2016 - 09:37 PM.

• Shane Wahl likes this

#35 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:52 AM

Someone has to be hitting threes...might as well be KAT if he's got a good look.

He got to the free throw line one time in that game. He needs to spend significantly more time inside. I do not want him attempting 5 threes a game.

#36 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

He got to the free throw line one time in that game. He needs to spend significantly more time inside. I do not want him attempting 5 threes a game.

Well I think the defense of Gasol is a reason why he didn't spend as much time inside as he usually will this year.

#37 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,831 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

I think the Wolves with Towns should take what the other team will give them offensively. If Towns is guarded by Gasol, Howard, Deandre, Drummond or another defensive big then Towns should make them chase him around the court and take them away from the boards. If Towns is guarded by a Horford type then he should be posting up all the time.

I think the loss should reign in enthusiasm a little but doesn't really change the long term view of the team. It will always be tough for the Wolves to be a great 3 point shooting team as long as neither the PG nor the 2nd wing are prolific outside shooters. Optimistically both Rubio and Wiggins make one/game. The same goes for Towns. Combine that with Gorgui (0.0/game) and Lavine can only do so much. This is one area where the bench could help but not the current bench players. Only Rush and Bjelica should be hoisting up 3's with any regularity.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#38 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

I think the loss should reign in enthusiasm a little but doesn't really change the long term view of the team.

It's a disappointing loss, especially seeing the 3 pt. defense and offense struggle again, but KAT and Rubio both had bad games, they shot uncharacteristically bad from the line, and the bench did nothing, and they still should have won on the road against a playoff team from last year.

If they lose to the Kings tonight though...

#39 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

Same story, different night.

KAT, where are you???

And Rubio might be hurt. This season couldn't have started much worse.

#40 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:12 AM

Looks like we locked up Gorgui for Timofy Mozgov money. Hard to be upset about that, eh?