Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2016-2017 Wolves season

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

#1 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:49 AM

For the first time in many years there is a lot of optimism surrounding the Wolves. Several of the ESPN podcasters that I listen are pumping them up to 45+ wins with very few predicting a <.500 record. That is a big step to take but at least things are looking good.

The first interesting thing to happen so far this year (since the last thread) is that Garnett will retire. I thought that was likely when both Aldrich and Hill signed. Dieng and Towns will play the bulk of the minutes. I hope Bjelica gets some opportunities and then the two veterans form a solid bench which the Wolves lacked last year.

In addition to that Pekovic is out for the season or the team thinks that. Pekovic being on the team never really bothered me since they have tons of unused cap space anyway and no team was ever going to trade anything for him. 

But who cares about those two. The Wolves have 3 potential stars in Towns, Wiggins and Lavine and 3 really good players in Rubio, Dunn and Dieng. That is quite a core of a team there if they can add 1-2 more very good players to it.

• bluechipper and Pardon My Dinger like this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

#2 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

Super psyched. Season can't start soon enough. But, lesson learned from the 2016 twin: I think we should temper our expectations, have fun, and trust the process.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#3 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

It looks like the plan may be to buyout Pekovic with a front-loaded buyout while we're under the salary floor. There's some sense in that. I think there's more sense in waiting for the Medical Retirement one though.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

I know this is not a great thing in this thread, but what is the word on ever expanding MinnCentric to include the Timberwolves? This is still shocking to me that there is no T-Wolves site.

• bluechipper likes this

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:15 PM

Anyway, adding Rush, Aldrich, and Hill was solid given what they can do as role players specializing in one thing each. There will be times with a PG, Towns, and shooters Bjelica, LaVine, and Rush that will present challenges for teams.

• bluechipper likes this

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:07 PM

They have Rubio, LaVine, Wiggins, Towns, and Dieng.

Then they have Bjelica, Muhammad, Dunn, Rush, Aldrich, Hill, and Jones.

This is an exciting full freaking roster for the first time since KG's era. Aldrich, Dieng, Hill, and Towns can be very good-to-very great defensively inside, and Rubio, Dunn and Rush will be good defensively on the perimeter. This will be a new team. And KAT is going to start to dominate the league this year. Think about a composed DeMarcus Cousins with more range.

• kab21 likes this

#7 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

I am more and more excited by Dunn every time I see highlights of him. I haven't had a chance to watch him in game yet, but everything I read and all the NBA guys I trust absolutely rave about him.

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#8 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

It's kind of amazing to me how much better the defense looks so far in the preseason.

Dunn, in particular, is really bringing it to the defensive end of the floor.

• kab21 likes this

#9 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

Still bursting with excitement about the wolves over here. Nonetheless, expectations are being healthily tempered by watching the clippers tonight. They're good. Man.

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

It's kind of amazing to me how much better the defense looks so far in the preseason.

Dunn, in particular, is really bringing it to the defensive end of the floor.

It was going to be better just with the addition of Dunn and Cole Aldrich in a major way, and Rush and Hill are ok defensively as well. Add in some more maturity for the young guys currently not good defensively, more maturity for the beast on both ends that is KAT, and THEN add in Thibodeau.

#11 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:30 PM

I would LOVE to have back to back to back ROYs. But the 2017 honors are going to Brandon Ingram, without a doubt.

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:01 AM

I think Dunn's ROY problem is that he won't post big numbers due to sharing the PG role with Rubio. I think many might consider him to be one of the top rookies long term by what he does this year.

I am not really sold on Ingram filling up a statsheet this year. I think he needs a little time to become an NBA player. That really leaves the ROY award wide open with Simmons injured. Perhaps Saric or Embid put up big numbers if the 76'ers can figure out their logjam of bigs.

Theoretical trade - What would you give up for LaMarcus Aldridge if the Wolves are 23-17 and Aldridge is an odd fit and tradeable as a few people have theorized? I think it have to include Dunn or Lavine and Dieng. I don't know about that but Aldridge and Towns seem perfect together in the frontcourt.

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

#13 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:06 AM

I don't see Dunn taking starts away from Rubio any time soon. He looks pretty lost out there at the moment. Not to mention, he's probably a worse shooter than Rubio.

#14 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Theoretical trade - What would you give up for LaMarcus Aldridge if the Wolves are 23-17 and Aldridge is an odd fit and tradeable as a few people have theorized?

I've made up my mind that I don't want to trade Rubio. Ever. He's an outstanding leader on the court, and proven. His stats aren't eye-popping, but maybe that will even keep him relatively inexpensive down the line. 

Of course, one of our PGs is going to have to go in any trade scenario. I'd rather it be Dunn. Hard to believe, but he's only 3 years younger than Ricky. And he's raw, man. Real raw. It will take a couple years for him just to catch up (if he even does). 

But ultimately, I'm just not interested in giving up youth with upside for a 31-year old center. Winning now would be fun and all, but I don't like the cost. 

#15 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

So you object to giving up Dieng or Dunn? Lavine, Towns and Wiggins are the young core and they also keep Rubio. Dieng is nice but Aldridge is a near elite player. My biggest concern is the lack of backcourt depth if Dunn is traded. But depth is something that can be found.

#16 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

Would prefer to lose Dunn honestly. I think Ricky's the guy. Still super young. And Dieng is one of the more underrated bigs out there. Versatile guy with defensive upside.
  • bluechipper likes this

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,851 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

Would prefer to lose Dunn honestly. I think Ricky's the guy. Still super young. And Dieng is one of the more underrated bigs out there. Versatile guy with defensive upside.

I have to see more of Dunn, but Rubio's injury history makes me lean away from him as the long term guy.

#18 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

I know it's preseason, but I'm not sure I can remember the last time the Wolves had a 37 point lead.
  • Shane Wahl likes this

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:27 PM

Dunn will be fine. Sheesh.

#20 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

Dunn will be fine. Sheesh.

No doubt. Better than Ricky, though? Not so sure.