Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017 MLB draft thread

• Please log in to reply
1144 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

First overall almost always goes way underslot. What are you talking about? CBA may change a lot this year, so that might no longer be the case, but recently it has been.

I stand corrected. Didn't realize they were signing so far under slot.
  • glunn, Mike Sixel and nytwinsfan like this

#22 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

Best player available, any position.

P.S. Don't take someone expected to be quickest to the majors, unless that person meets the rule above.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 25 September 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• Seth Stohs, TRex and Rigby like this
If I had to do the same again, I would, my friend, Fernando!

#23 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

This is as much about money as the player. Picking first gives them a chance to sign the guy early and maybe below slot which can give them extra money to sign a hard sign type later. It also gives them the most international money to spend and since they never go over that it should help or some could be traded.
Of course, MLB could change the rules this winter just to stick to the Twins. ;);)

We should go all in internationally and pay the 100% overage.
  • beckmt and Deduno Abides like this

#24 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

Correa went under slot b/c there were a lot of guys who could reasonably fall into the 3-6 spot and the Astros got one to agree to go way underslot.That was a pretty loaded draft though - Buxton, Appel, Correa, Zunino, Gausman, Zimmer, Russell and a hurt Giolito.

What is the excuse for Swnson and Moniak signing under slot? The fact is the club has leverage. The player might not get picked that high again, and hence lose money the club doesn't lose the draft pick for not signing the player.

• Deduno Abides likes this

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:27 PM

What is the excuse for Swnson and Moniak signing under slot? The fact is the club has leverage. The player might not get picked that high again, and hence lose money the club doesn't lose the draft pick for not signing the player.

Wasn't trying to suggest that.I was just explaining why Correa took so much less - I think he signed for less than 4 other players drafted behind him.I agree that the Twins will save $ with the first pick and (hopefully) can spread that around in lower rounds.

• Deduno Abides likes this

#26 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:35 PM

The club does lose the signing pool money, though, if they don't sign that pick. The highest bonus paid in the slotting system has been Kris Bryant's $6.8M, and last year that would have been roughly $300K more than the full #3 slot in the draft. Philadelphia had a $9M+ bonus slot, so even if they tied Bryant's record number, they'd have had $2.2M left for future picks.

• glunn likes this

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

I have long been on the Schwartz bandwagon, but if there is a college ACE available, I think you go there......

but remember, the Cubs plan is simple. Draft great hitting, sign or trade for pitching.....we shouldn't ignore their success, imo.

• glunn and operation mindcrime like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:07 AM

I have long been on the Schwartz bandwagon, but if there is a college ACE available, I think you go there......

but remember, the Cubs plan is simple. Draft great hitting, sign or trade for pitching.....we shouldn't ignore their success, imo.

That's not really what they did, though. They drafted Bryant, of course, and he's a stud.  But they have 9 hitters worth 1 WAR or more and only Bryant and Baez (#9 in 2011) were drafted.  They made some extremely great trades for Rizzo and Russell and nabbed Fowler, Ross, Zobrist and Heyward in FA (and Contreras in international FA).  

The Cubs made their roster by signing big free agents and making some fantastic trades. In fact, only six guys (out of 45 players) who have played at all this year were drafted by the Cubs.  

• glunn, birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

That's not really what they did, though. They drafted Bryant, of course, and he's a stud.  But they have 9 hitters worth 1 WAR or more and only Bryant and Baez (#9 in 2011) were drafted.  They made some extremely great trades for Rizzo and Russell and nabbed Fowler, Ross, Zobrist and Heyward in FA (and Contreras in international FA).  

The Cubs made their roster by signing big free agents and making some fantastic trades. In fact, only six guys (out of 45 players) who have played at all this year were drafted by the Cubs.  

I guess I should have said acquired, but your point remains. (don't forget they drafted Schwarber).

I have previously pointed out that the Cubs were rebuilt very quickly due to astute (and lucky) trades and signings. But, that can't only be luck. (mostly) Same group did it in Boston. It's why the Twins should be trading Dozier and ESAn, imo.....

• glunn, zchrz, beckmt and 2 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

And my real point was I kind of want that college ACE, if there is one, now, more than Schartz (and I really don't need another 6 year HS project at this point....they are drafting high enough to take a great college player).

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and brvama like this

#31 FargoFanMan

FargoFanMan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

With twins pitching the way it is you go with pitching. No questions asked. unless there's a Bryce Harper out there( which there isn't) you go pitcher. The days of a Joe Mauer catcher prospect are probably over and that was a once in a lifetime pick I believe. Any other team nowadays probably puts him somewhere else. He had the advanced bat and catching tools to be up when he was 20. Gotta go pitcher!

#32 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

Wasn't trying to suggest that.I was just explaining why Correa took so much less - I think he signed for less than 4 other players drafted behind him.I agree that the Twins will save $ with the first pick and (hopefully) can spread that around in lower rounds.

If college was not an option then what were his choices?4.8 is what he would get as a top 3 pick the following year.He still got the second highest bonus that year,.

#33 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

If college was not an option then what were his choices?4.8 is what he would get as a top 3 pick the following year.He still got the second highest bonus that year,.

Did he?I was under the impression he signed for less than Buxton, Zunion and Gausman and whatever Appel was demanding.I could easily be wrong.

#34 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:56 PM

Hunter Greene would not address immediate problems, not that should be an issue in mlb drafts, but he looks like a phenomenon.

• bluechipper and operation mindcrime like this

#35 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

And my real point was I kind of want that college ACE, if there is one, now, more than Schartz (and I really don't need another 6 year HS project at this point....they are drafting high enough to take a great college player).

It's way too early, but someone recently mentioned 4 guys as frontrunners for #1/1, and 3 were pitchers. The bad news? Scouting reports on all 3 indicate they end up as #2 types and not aces. There may be more recent info, and there may be subsequent candidates who fit the ace description. The pitchers were college guys from Vandy, FL State, and another place (Faedo?). The 4th guy was a Vandy outfielder.

The point is, we occasionally experience entire drafts which are void of a single guy who the pundits project as an ace. Wouldn't it just be the Twins luck to have this draft be one of them?

Edited by birdwatcher, 26 September 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#36 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:37 AM

It's way too early, but someone recently mentioned 4 guys as frontrunners for #1/1, and 3 were pitchers. The bad news? Scouting reports on all 3 indicate they end up as #2 types and not aces. There may be more recent info, and there may be subsequent candidates who fit the ace description. The pitchers were college guys from Vandy, FL State, and another place (Faedo?). The 4th guy was a Vandy outfielder.

The point is, we occasionally experience entire drafts which are void of a single guy who the pundits project as an ace. Wouldn't it just be the Twins luck to have this draft be one of them?

Why should it matter what the pundits think?
Isn't that why the team employs scouts?
I'd hope they are not drafting from pundits rankings.
There will likely be an ace or near ace somewhere in this draft.
It's not illegal to outscout everyone and find him. I don't care if it's a guy the pundits have as a 27th rounder.

#37 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:19 AM

With twins pitching the way it is you go with pitching. No questions asked. unless there's a Bryce Harper out there( which there isn't) you go pitcher. The days of a Joe Mauer catcher prospect are probably over and that was a once in a lifetime pick I believe. Any other team nowadays probably puts him somewhere else. He had the advanced bat and catching tools to be up when he was 20. Gotta go pitcher!

Normally i would follow the philosophy of taking the best player available, but given how badly this franchise needs quality pitchers at all levels, it has to be the best pitcher (preferably college level) available.  

• FargoFanMan likes this

#38 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

If I had to pick someone based on everything I know right now, Alex Faedo.

With that said, we'll know a lot more in June 2017.

#39 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 6,752 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs just posted a blog doing an early breakdown of the RH Pitchers in the 2017 draft. 

EDIT: He also gives a review of a kid from Burnsville, MN. Nice!

Edited by Vanimal46, 27 September 2016 - 12:07 PM.

• glunn, gunnarthor, Monkeypaws and 1 other like this

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

It would be nice if the Twins got a supp pick after the first round this year.  I don't think we'll know until January though.