Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Penciling A 2017 Bullpen

brandon kintzler taylor rogers jt chargois ryan pressly trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,239 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

Not sure how Baxendale would fit into the "Lock" category. He'd fit into the Burdi/Hildy/Reed category for me. I would have liked to see him come up, but it didn't bother me in the least when Wimmers got called up. Much bigger decision to make on him since he's a free agent at the end of the World Series if he hadn't been brought up. At least he got an opportunity, which is is very appreciative of. The decision on Baxendale is whether or not to add him to the 40 man roster in November, and that's far from a given. 

I just have a hard time saying anyone who has no big league experience should be a "lock." That just doesn't make sense to me. 

Hildenberger should be given a legit shot in spring training, but so much of that depends on his elbow situation.

Melotakis was good in his return. The Twins didn't pitch him more than one inning. He didn't pitch on back-to-back days. He still ended up on the DL a couple of times for additional rest. That's all positive. Let's not think that he suddenly jumps into the big leagues because 1.) AAA time won't hurt him, and 2.) at least early, they'll want to test out a few things first. Can he pitch more than one inning? Can he pitch on back-to-back days. Those were the considerations with Chargois. You can control that all in AAA. As we've seen with Chargois in the big leagues, it's all-hands-on-deck, so he's pitched more than 2 innings once or twice, and back-to-back games often. He likely woudln't have been ready for that earlier in the season and certainly not in 2015. I'm on board with the Twins plans for Chargois now that I understand it and see how it changes in the big leagues, and I"m on board with them doing the same with Melotakis. 

Pressly turns 28 in December. He's not old! Unless you're like 18.

• Mike Sixel and HitInAPinch like this

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,288 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

I don't get the dislike of Tonkin.he's spent 1 year in the pen minus a few Chargois type opportunities over the last few seasons.The Ks are there, as are the minor league results.I'd give him more than this year to work things out...If it comes to the point where he's blocking someone, then yes... but we aren't there yet. 

#23 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

So how many spots are we talking about here?7?

There's been improvement from the younger relievers as they got past the call-up jitters.The same will happen next season.

Closer: Kintzler, until someone else steps up.

Short:Pressely, Chargois, Rogers

Middle:O'Rourke + Wimmer,

Long:Berrios, Duffey

If everything goes well, Chargois + Rogers step into split closer roll.Add 1 MiLB pitcher

Berrios and Duffey get some short, low pressure success and deemed ready for starter duties.Add 2 MiLB pitchers.

IDK:I seem to be developing an entire staff   ;)

It's not my fault !

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

Chargois, Tonkin, Rogers, Duffey, Pressley and prayers.  Lots of prayers.

#25 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

It might just be me, but I have a feeling that Light could become a stud in our bullpen

#26 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,940 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

It might just be me, but I have a feeling that Light could become a stud in our bullpen

Is that the guy who throws a wild pitch on a pitch out during an intentional walk?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#27 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

Judging by the game today, nobody seems to be interested in having a job next year. Oh, boy!

• Mike Sixel and Joe A. Preusser like this

#28 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, I've been down on Light and Tonkin lately.  Today didn't help me fight that one bit.  I'd love to do better than those two.  I don't think it would be all that hard, either.

#29 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

If the new Grand Poobah of the club thinks the first and second year position players are going to take a step forward this year then it would be likely that 2 of the slots in the bullpen would be FA closer, FA set up guy. Theevaluation process might lead to the necessity ofone more year of development/mediocre play. That should lead to a fairly young bullpen. 

#30 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

Since I already stayed on topic once, I just can't help but also stray once and offer up thoughts outside of just what's available.

Building a strong bullpen to help the rotation, and you know, actually win games, is a bug and important step. But also don't want to ignore the prospects and just go out and buy a veteran bullpen for our rebuilding club.

But I would like to see someone signed to come in and assume the closer role. Maybe a 1 year make good/rebound, or similar. This means Kintzler is gone. I'd also take a couple flyers out for a lefty or two, preferably 30yo or less, maybe coming off injury or a down year and audition them.

FA Closer
Perkins=7th & 8th inning
Chargois=7th & 8th inning
?/open audition=6th inning
Duffey=long & middle and spot start
Rogers=6th thru 8th inning as needed
?/open audition=LOOGY-middle-6th inning

That's 5 spots out of 7 mostly spoken for. There are multiple RH and a few LH options for the open audition spots. There is also no pressure or rush for some guys to jump straight from AA, unless they flat out earn it.

This a pen I could potentially feel pretty good about, while being loaded at Rochester for call ups.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#31 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

Most of bullpen from this year can be gone.  Expect Rogers and Shaggy to stay around.  Would use Wimmers as a long man to start and Duffey here is you want him in the pen.  Rest is audition time for most of the AA and AAA relievers.  Perkins will be a lock if he has anything left.

• Doomtints likes this

#32 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

Not sure how Baxendale would fit into the "Lock" category. He'd fit into the Burdi/Hildy/Reed category for me. I would have liked to see him come up, but it didn't bother me in the least when Wimmers got called up. Much bigger decision to make on him since he's a free agent at the end of the World Series if he hadn't been brought up. At least he got an opportunity, which is is very appreciative of. The decision on Baxendale is whether or not to add him to the 40 man roster in November, and that's far from a given. 

I just have a hard time saying anyone who has no big league experience should be a "lock." That just doesn't make sense to me. 

Hildenberger should be given a legit shot in spring training, but so much of that depends on his elbow situation.

Melotakis was good in his return. The Twins didn't pitch him more than one inning. He didn't pitch on back-to-back days. He still ended up on the DL a couple of times for additional rest. That's all positive. Let's not think that he suddenly jumps into the big leagues because 1.) AAA time won't hurt him, and 2.) at least early, they'll want to test out a few things first. Can he pitch more than one inning? Can he pitch on back-to-back days. Those were the considerations with Chargois. You can control that all in AAA. As we've seen with Chargois in the big leagues, it's all-hands-on-deck, so he's pitched more than 2 innings once or twice, and back-to-back games often. He likely woudln't have been ready for that earlier in the season and certainly not in 2015. I'm on board with the Twins plans for Chargois now that I understand it and see how it changes in the big leagues, and I"m on board with them doing the same with Melotakis. 

Pressly turns 28 in December. He's not old! Unless you're like 18.

Baxendale is a near lock for me in the same way Rogers was going into 2016. Thanks to being a starter for most of his time in the minors, he's had plenty of experience and has very little to nothing left to prove. His 35 innings in AAA have been very good. He was sufficient as a minors starter but his stuff can play up in the bullpen. He can start as a long reliever or a 6th/7th inning guy depending the other bullpen pieces.

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,239 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

Baxendale is a near lock for me in the same way Rogers was going into 2016. Thanks to being a starter for most of his time in the minors, he's had plenty of experience and has very little to nothing left to prove. His 35 innings in AAA have been very good. He was sufficient as a minors starter but his stuff can play up in the bullpen. He can start as a long reliever or a 6th/7th inning guy depending the other bullpen pieces.

Rogers wasn't a lock going into 2016, though he was up within a week. I'm not sure Baxendale will even be put on the 40-man roster, but if he was, he'll certainly have a chance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brandon kintzler, taylor rogers, jt chargois, ryan pressly, trevor may