Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sad News on the Pitching Front: May out for Season

mn twins trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Another sad turn of events for Trevor May.From the Strib:

Trevor May shut down for remainder of the season with more back problems

http://www.startribu...lems/393321441/

In the Game article:http://www.startribu...roit/393343761/

Molitor is quoted as saying:"“In a matter of a couple pitches, the symptoms returned,’’ Molitor said. “He finished it out the best he could. He told us when he came off that we were back to Square 1.’’

A note from Rob Anthony: Acting general manager Rob Antony said he would like May, once he gets over his back issues, to return to starting next season.

Edited by HitInAPinch, 14 September 2016 - 06:39 AM.

• glunn, nicksaviking, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this

It's not my fault !

#2 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

Wow.If May is reduced to rubble, that would net the Twins return on Denard Span and Ben Revere to zero. 

Part of this has got to be rotten luck.

• Dantes929, jimmer and wsnydes like this

#3 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:59 AM

Think his back will improve next year with a regular regime.That would be almost forcing him back to starting.You could replace him with Duffey in the bullpen, he has worked their before.

• Dantes929, 70charger and wsnydes like this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,074 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:20 AM

Heal up Trevor. The Twins desperately need you to be healthy next season. 

• nicksaviking, wsnydes and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#5 NCtwinsfan

NCtwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

With this years team, it always seems like it can't get any worse... even when I try to be optimistic about some of the bright spots, it seems like a constant barrage of bad news, bad play, and bad luck. 

I want so badly to be able to enjoy the fun stuff - like Dozier's amazing run/milestones, Buxton showing signs of life, good stories like Beresford, and flashes of the future from prospects like Kepler and Sano.

Yet, as a Twins fan, 2016 has been a series of punches to the gut that just overwhelm anything positive. 

Dozier hits 3 home runs in a game, and it's darkened by the Twins still finding a way to lose. He reaches 40 milestone, and two days later a future rotation hopeful goes down for the season. Ugh. I understand the importance of "the big picture," and the importance of trading Dozier (if the package is right). But it sucks that the best case scenario is that we trade our most exciting player (at least for me). I want to enjoy his success beyond it just increasing his trade value - hard to do when I am expecting him to be wearing another uniform next year.

As for Trevor May, now where are we? Health issues becoming a problem. I didn't think I could be less optimistic about the rotation next year. Even if he recovers by next spring, it is hard to expect that he will be in great shape to be starting, or at least effective. He spent the last two years primarily in the bullpen, and not battling back issues. If I were a good GM candidate (or even an ok one), I am not sure I would want to take on the Twins. 

The present stinks, and I no longer feel 2017 holds anything better (I did as recently as July/August). I guess I am being a huge downer this morning. I need some baseball-zoloft. 

• jimmer likes this

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:37 AM

Let's hope he actually returns to the rotation. This whole situation has been horribly mismanaged.
  • snepp likes this

#7 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:40 AM

Wow.If May is reduced to rubble, that would net the Twins return on Denard Span and Ben Revere to zero. 

Part of this has got to be rotten luck.

I liked Revere and Span but I will never criticize these trades.  I thought they were smart at the time. I never liked May to the bullpen and wasn't thrilled with Meyer being traded away but there is still a chance that May will return and be good as a starter and that Santiago will be useful.   

• Blackjack, Pardon My Dinger and wsnydes like this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#8 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

I wouldn't characterize any goings on of anyone currently on this roster as "sad", other than perhaps Polanco, Buxton, and Sano. Anyone else will not be part of a successful run for this team.

Unfortunate for him, maybe, but meaningless in terms of where this team is at.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#9 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

I just hope he can get healthy and START next season.

• Thrylos, nicksaviking, 70charger and 2 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,155 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

I don't really view this as a bad thing. Hopefully the front office realizes he should have been starting earlier this season and uses this injury as a reason to get him stretched out and starting next season.

• nicksaviking, 70charger and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,577 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Not exactly:

Alan Busenitz and whatever the Pirates paid the Twins to purchase Worley's contract.

And May will be fine.  They just need to quit jerking him around

• Broker likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

I liked Revere and Span but I will never criticize these trades.  I thought they were smart at the time. 

OK.  But at least you can concede that those of us who criticized those trades all along were right. :P

Edited by Doomtints, 14 September 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#13 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

How are they jerking him around?  He's been in the same role for more than a year.

In his first appearance in 2016, he took a loss on a walk-off wild pitch.  He never got better from there.  I don't remember him having control problems before this year.  Are his control problems on the Twins?

• SwainZag and ken like this

#14 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

I don't see anything sad here.May really hasn't shown much anyway and just may never work out.Kind of Gibson like, no consistency, clunkers all over the place and throw in a good game.We've got to many of these type pitchers.

• ken and operation mindcrime like this

he gone!

#15 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

Not exactly:

Alan Busenitz and whatever the Pirates paid the Twins to purchase Worley's contract.

We never hear amounts! Like, are they getting a Target gift card for Arcia?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,577 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

How are they jerking him around?  He's been in the same role for more than a year.

Other than the part that in the off-season they told him to prep as a starter to try to get a job out of ST, and the part that used him as a starter in ST, until they told him to move to the pen.  

So in real time the past 2 seasons, it has been half starting, half relieving... 

Edited by Thrylos, 14 September 2016 - 10:48 AM.

• KirbyDome89, Broker and wsnydes like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

Not exactly:

I'm still bothered by the fact that we apparently couldn't get any use out of Worley, who's been a pretty effective pitcher everywhere except his stint in Minnesota. Hell, his ERA was 3 runs higher here than at any other point in his career. What the hell are the Twins doing to ruin pitchers?

#18 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

I don't really view this as a bad thing. Hopefully the front office realizes he should have been starting earlier this season and uses this injury as a reason to get him stretched out and starting next season.

That's the silver lining I'm looking for as well.  No sense in rushing him back in a lost season like this.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#19 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I'm still bothered by the fact that we apparently couldn't get any use out of Worley, who's been a pretty effective pitcher everywhere except his stint in Minnesota. Hell, his ERA was 3 runs higher here than at any other point in his career. What the hell are the Twins doing to ruin pitchers?

They ruined him by making him start.  In Baltimore his leverage index is .62. He is the mop up guy when the game no longer matters. He did have a good half season in Pittsburgh followed by a year of mop up duty

#20 dxpavelka

dxpavelka

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:22 AM

48 innings is not much of a sample size.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mn twins, trevor may