Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Current TV, regardless the year

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

#21 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

Better than Vinyl on HBO? 

The bar can be set higher than that, can't it? :-)

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#22 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

Luke Cage and Westworld are atop my list.  Eagerly awaiting Legion, Fargo, Game of Thrones, and American Gods coming out later.

Gotham went so far off the rails I gave up last season.  I wanted, so badly, to like that show.

Walking Dead won't get my audience until some Sunday afternoon replay.  That show needs to figure out it's bad trolling crap before I'll tune in again in their primetime slot.

American Gods is the one I couldn't remember, thanks.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

Better than Vinyl on HBO? 

I skipped Vinyl entirely. Given that it was cancelled, so did everyone else.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

The bar can be set higher than that, can't it? :-)

I would hope so! Vinyl went down hill real quick. The Get Down looked like another version of it, so I've ignored it so far. 

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I skipped Vinyl entirely. Given that it was cancelled, so did everyone else.

You didn't miss out on anything there. One of the rare HBO failures in recent memory. 

#26 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

I would hope so! Vinyl went down hill real quick. The Get Down looked like another version of it, so I've ignored it so far. 

Vinyl was a show that tried to be deep, and failed miserably.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#27 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

Luke Cage and Westworld top my list.

And if you're not watching The Get Down right now, you're missing out.

Herizen F. Guardiola is gorgeous!

#28 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,370 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:06 PM

You people watch too much television.
  • SQUIRREL, glunn and jimmer like this

#29 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:30 PM

If they had TVs in the Northern Kingdom you wouldn't say that, my friend.

• glunn and twinsnorth49 like this

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

I watch a fair amount of television but mostly I keep my viewing to short seasons that I can watch in a week or so. It's why I seem to watch so many different shows but my actual time spent "watching" television is moderate.

(not including the mindless TV I have playing in the background while working/drawing but that barely qualifies as "watching")

There are maybe (2?) long-season shows I watch (20+ episodes per season). Most of the stuff I watch is 13 episodes or fewer (Marvel Netflix, You're the Worst, HBO stuff, etc).

By the way, You're the Worst is so fuggin' good.

#31 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,657 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:21 AM

But it's low sugar and low sodium.
  • twinsnorth49 and jimmer like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#32 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

I watch a fair amount of television but mostly I keep my viewing to short seasons that I can watch in a week or so. It's why I seem to watch so many different shows but my actual time spent "watching" television is moderate.

(not including the mindless TV I have playing in the background while working/drawing but that barely qualifies as "watching")

There are maybe (2?) long-season shows I watch (20+ episodes per season). Most of the stuff I watch is 13 episodes or fewer (Marvel Netflix, You're the Worst, HBO stuff, etc).

By the way, You're the Worst is so fuggin' good.

Plus, we live in the golden age of television.  There are some truly great stories being told, too many for me to even keep up with it seems.

• jimmer and Vanimal46 like this

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

Plus, we live in the golden age of television.  There are some truly great stories being told, too many for me to even keep up with it seems.

That's an understatement.. Wayyyy too many for anyone to keep up with, and on so many platforms. Basic cable, premium cable, Netflix, Amazon, Crackle... 

Meanwhile, the movie industry is going down hill fast. Very few entice me to check it out in a theater.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:20 AM

Yeah we do. I watch far fewer movies than I have at any time in the past.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#35 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:02 AM

Yeah we do. I watch far fewer movies than I have at any time in the past.

At this point, unless it's a movie that just needs to be seen on the big screen (like, say, Star Wars movies), I wait till they come out on BluRay or on demand.No need/desire to see a comedy or drama in theater.

• PseudoSABR and TheLeviathan like this

#36 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

That's an understatement.. Wayyyy too many for anyone to keep up with, and on so many platforms. Basic cable, premium cable, Netflix, Amazon, Crackle... 

Meanwhile, the movie industry is going down hill fast. Very few entice me to check it out in a theater.

I find myself cutting down on quantity and up on quality. It's like I never realized how bad (overall) regular TV was until the last few years when all this great stuff started coming out. Still some exceptions and/or guilty pleasures like The Blacklist, but shows like True Detective (season one), Fargo, Broadchurch, etc. make one see how good TV can be and makes me not want to waste my time with lesser work.

Network television really needs an upgrade across the board, because they are getting run over...and a lot of it is done with lesser budgets focusing on story and quality acting (and, IMO, British TV has been killing us in the quality acting area on TV for quite some time).Actresses like Olivia Colman...

Edited by jimmer, 14 September 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#37 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,731 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:39 AM

Narcos season 2 came out.

The first season was good, but the "good guys" were probably quite a bit more "good" than history would suggest they actually were. In season 2 "good vs bad" is much less obvious. Which is "good".

The only trailer I saw for McGuyver looked pretty terrible to me. You guy's will have to let me know if it's not. I haven't watched a network series drama for quite awhile. Again, let me know if they stop failing to disappoint. I've been spoiled by the quality of cable, and I guess I have turned into a TV snob.

#38 BeenHazy

BeenHazy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts
  • LocationMilford

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

I find myself cutting down on quantity and up on quality. It's like I never realized how bad (overall) regular TV was until the last few years when all this great stuff started coming out. Still some exceptions and/or guilty pleasures like The Blacklist, but shows like True Detective (season one), Fargo, Broadchurch, etc. make one see how good TV can be and makes me not want to waste my time with lesser work.

Network television really needs an upgrade across the board, because they are getting run over...and a lot of it is done with lesser budgets focusing on story and quality acting (and, IMO, British TV has been killing us in the quality acting area on TV for quite some time). Actresses like Olivia Colman...

I loved the first season of Briadchurch. It was fantastic at stirring up a wide array of emotions. S2 immediately struck me as a trainwreck and we gave up after 3 episodes. Would you say that was too soon?

Speaking of Brit TV, as far as I can tell nobody has mentioned Peaky Blinders at TD. Not truly great, but very good, really fun and a perfect fit for the TD demo. Tom Hardy has a recurring role and kills it. I randomly think about that show more than any other. (Netflix)

#39 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:54 AM

I loved the first season of Briadchurch. It was fantastic at stirring up a wide array of emotions. S2 immediately struck me as a trainwreck and we gave up after 3 episodes. Would you say that was too soon?

Speaking of Brit TV, as far as I can tell nobody has mentioned Peaky Blinders at TD. Not truly great, but very good, really fun and a perfect fit for the TD demo. Tom Hardy has a recurring role and kills it. I randomly think about that show more than any other. (Netflix)

I liked Broadchurch Season two a lot, but it's hard to top what Season one was.I'd recommend you finish watching it.Season 3 will be out next year.

Peaky Blinders is good, so is/was Copper and even better is Ripper Street.

Edited by jimmer, 14 September 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#40 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,657 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

I like Ripper Street when I have seen it. Also, although not BBC, Penny Dreadful had much to recommend it. On Netflix now.

Broadchurch? Being a huge fan of Tennant, gotta watch em all.
  • jimmer likes this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb