Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Can The Twins Find Hitting Inspiration Up North?

twins blue jays tom brunansky trevor plouffe
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• 1,457 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

Brunanski claims he doesn't like that Toronto strikes out in big spots, and the Twins are trained to put the ball in play doesn't sit well with me.  

First of all the Twins have 1120 Strikeouts so far this year, the Blue Jays have 1114.  So the Twins strikeout more even though they are taught to just make contact.  Second, and I can't quantify this, but the Twins strikeouts with in key spots happens ALL THE TIME.  There have been so many times this year with one out and a runner on third when a fly ball would get them a run, but instead they went strikeout, out.  No runs.  

So in theory what Brunanski says makes sense, but the team doesn't apply those things to their in game hitting.

#22 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

Brunanski claims he doesn't like that Toronto strikes out in big spots, and the Twins are trained to put the ball in play doesn't sit well with me.  

First of all the Twins have 1120 Strikeouts so far this year, the Blue Jays have 1114.  So the Twins strikeout more even though they are taught to just make contact.  Second, and I can't quantify this, but the Twins strikeouts with in key spots happens ALL THE TIME.  There have been so many times this year with one out and a runner on third when a fly ball would get them a run, but instead they went strikeout, out.  No runs.  

So in theory what Brunanski says makes sense, but the team doesn't apply those things to their in game hitting.

yeah, it's pretty hard to fault the Blue jays offensively.

Far and away the most runs scored in the AL (by 130 runs or so), 4th lowest K% in the AL,, a team wRC+ 10 points higher than the #2 team in the AL in wRC+, and the best OBP in AL (12 points over #2). All while having an average BABIP.

But going strictly by 'clutch' number, we're 2nd in the AL in clutch hitting while Toronto ranks 7th.Meaning we are getting the most out of the talent on our offense while the Blue Jays could be even more of a dominate offensive force :-)

Edited by jimmer, 31 August 2016 - 01:59 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,063 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

not sure total number of Ks is worthwhile here as I suspect the Jays offense has quite a bit more plate appearances.

#24 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

To repeat, Jays have the 4th lowest K% in the AL. % is based on number of PA and number of Ks.

Twins and blue jays have exactly the same amount of PA. 5092

Edited by jimmer, 31 August 2016 - 02:54 PM.

• jokin likes this

#25 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,162 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Would love to see the Twins go after Bautista this offseason to mentor Sano.

Bautista has told the Blue Jays he isn't giving them a hometown discount so we have absolutely no shot.

Also don't believe for a minute that the Twins would ever bring in an outside face with his type of personality.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

I actually think this was their plan:

Sano=40 bombs

Park and Dozier with 25

Plouffe with 20ish

Rosario, Mauer, ? with 15-20

I think they wanted to be the Orioles/Blue Jays....but it didn't work out. I really believe that was their plan, hit a boat load of home runs and outscore the others with Santana, Hughes, Gibson, Duffey, Nolasco being a "good enough" rotation.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

I actually think this was their plan:

Sano=40 bombs

Park and Dozier with 25

Plouffe with 20ish

Rosario, Mauer, ? with 15-20

I think they wanted to be the Orioles/Blue Jays....but it didn't work out. I really believe that was their plan, hit a boat load of home runs and outscore the others with Santana, Hughes, Gibson, Duffey, Nolasco being a "good enough" rotation.

The Blue Jays, for their part, decided defense was also important :-)

And they also have the 3rd best pitching staff in the AL, and arguably the best rotation (though I'd go with Indians). 

Edited by jimmer, 31 August 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:50 PM

The Blue Jays, for their part, decided defense was also important :-)

And they also have the 3rd best pitching staff in the AL, and arguably the best rotation (though I'd go with Indians). 

I was only talking about the hitting......

The Blue Jays fired the guy that basically built that team...

• jimmer likes this

#29 markos

markos

• 1,413 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

I was only talking about the hitting......

The Blue Jays fired the guy that basically built that team...

This is a little off-topic, but is AA on your shortlist? 

#30 jimmer

jimmer

• 10,212 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Should be.

• alarp33 likes this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:50 AM

I literally have no idea who they should hire. There are just so many unknowns about how a GM/POBO really works, and what constraints their owners had/have them under.....I just don't have enough knowledge about any of them to have a solid opinion.*

*which is probably true of players too, but that doesn't stop me.

#32 spycake

spycake

• 17,694 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Bautista has told the Blue Jays he isn't giving them a hometown discount so we have absolutely no shot.

Wouldn't that actually suggest the Twins have a better shot?  If he wanted to stay in Toronto enough to take a hometown discount, we'd pretty much have no chance to sign him -- we'd have to out-bid them by a considerable amount.  At least this suggests we could out-bid them slightly and win his services.

Not that I endorse it or think it is likely for any number of other reasons, but in theory, the Twins chances at landing a player should only improve the less likely he is to re-sign with his current team.

#33 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,162 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

Wouldn't that actually suggest the Twins have a better shot?  If he wanted to stay in Toronto enough to take a hometown discount, we'd pretty much have no chance to sign him -- we'd have to out-bid them by a considerable amount.  At least this suggests we could out-bid them slightly and win his services.

Not that I endorse it or think it is likely for any number of other reasons, but in theory, the Twins chances at landing a player should only improve the less likely he is to re-sign with his current team.

To me it signifies he wants to cash in with the highest bidder. The Twins won't be, and shouldn't be, that team for a player of his age with this disastrous team.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, blue jays, tom brunansky, trevor plouffe