Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Berrios, Duffy Optioned to AAA

berrios duffy albers
  • Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• 1,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

How does one get a young player to turn off an overthinking brain?

Um, coaching? Team psychologist?

#42 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• 1,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

Alex Wimmers last 10 games: 10.1 innings, 12 hits, 9 walks. He'll make a good complementary piece to the biggest recent addition, Hector Santiago. Looks like we're going right back to the Terry Ryan playbook. The team is unable to teach maturity and confidence to talented pitchers, so let's get some guys who aren't good enough to get stressed about failure.
  • adjacent, bluechipper, Kwak and 2 others like this

#43 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 217 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:19 PM

Until somebody steps up and throws 7 innings everybody's job should be in jepordy! Duffy has been rocked nearly every start and with Berrios it has been every start.
  • nokomismod, howieramone2 and leopoty like this

#44 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,197 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:19 PM

Or maybe the gaudy numbers should have been believed, at lest until proven wrong. Another gaudy number was Santiagos walk rate. And his recent W/L and ERA. Well we fixed both the walk rate, and the others. In other words, some guys just plain walk more than others. Not everyone is Phil Hughes. (Insert your favorite joke here) But imagine being a pitcher who walks a few, and going to an orginisation that abhors the BB. Don't tell me that does not affect your process. We seem to try to fix people, before they are broke. That does not work, until they convince themselves they are.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#45 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• 1,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

Remember before Berrios was promoted there was some talk by coaches of things he needed to work on in spite of the gaudy numbers? Their claim has been validated. His command is non-existent.

At least Berrios has something to build on next season, now that he has some big-league experience.

I think the coaching staff is far less clueless than some of you believe.

Identifying and publicly disclosing a player's weakness does not make someone a good coach. Quietly fixing it does.
  • Vanimal46, d-mac, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#46 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

Can't argue with Albers coming up either. He is what he is and that's fine for the Twins at this point. I'd like to see Wheeler get a shot to start too now. 

The Twins know what Albers is and it should not be fine with them.They do not need a guy who is not part of their future blocking the development of players who (hopefully) are part of their future.

I'd put Duffey at the pen where he belongs and keep Berrios.If they need another starter DFA O'Rourke and brink up Gonsalves or Wheeler.They got to see what Wheeler has before he leaves as a MiLB FA this coming off-season. 

Inane.

Another proof that Antony needs to follow his former boss outtahere

Edited by Thrylos, 25 August 2016 - 05:25 PM.

• alarp33 and d-mac like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#47 S.

S.

• 1,154 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

“You still have to try to protect your team.”

i think you clipped the second part of the sentence. It really said, "You still have to try to protect your team from your inept coaching staff." Unfortunately, that ineptitude extends to the coaches at the minor league level too.

• Thrylos and Platoon like this

#48 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

I'm still waiting for you to publicly say on this site you don't agree with a move the Twins make :-)

Actually, I think he just did. Seth said he would like to see both of them stay up and work through it. I think what Seth has done here is what is missing in much of the Internet world. He has disagreed while not being disagreeable. He can reasonably see both sides of the arguments and disagree without arguing. I like that approach.

I have seen lots of posts including a whole thread questioning why certain players have not been demoted. Today those same players were demoted. Some of us disagree with parts of this move. There is no reason any of us should be disrespectful about it.

Albers? I disagree with the move despite his numbers this year. Rather see Gonsalves or Wheeler. Duffey to the minors? I prefer bullpen. Berrios? He's lost. Maybe it will be more than a week in the minors if he can help them to the playoffs. Wimmers? Yes, he finally made it!
  • SQUIRREL, Han Joelo, DJSim22 and 10 others like this

#49 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,912 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

Pat Dean and Andrew Albers are 2/5 of the rotation. I feel like it's 2013 again.

Ain't that the truth! And it really doesn't look promising, to me, and my quest to not be paralyzed by hope, in the near future. But to run pitchers out there that have no hope seems so irrelevant.
  • Danchat likes this

#50 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• 1,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

Actually, I think he just did. Seth said he would like to see both of them stay up and work through it. I think what Seth has done here is what is missing in much of the Internet world. He has disagreed while not being disagreeable. He can reasonably see both sides of the arguments and disagree without arguing. I like that approach.

Seth is one of the best people on the Internet. Informative, hard working and respectful of everyone. His opinions are his; he welcomes other people to share theirs, whether or not they agree with him. It's a pretty rare combination on the internet.
  • Riverbrian, goulik, Sconnie and 5 others like this

#51 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 1,005 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Time to get paper grocery bags, cut eye-holes and maybe a mouth, put "Twins Fan" on it,and wait by the Twins dugout for the right moment in a blow-out loss.I'm talking about a whole row of us.

This team and this season deserves nothing less.

Anyone else want to join in?

#52 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,869 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

Of all the perplexing decisions, this is right up at the top. Why bring Berrios up, if you aren't going to let him continue to pitch? Are they proving a point? Why the yoyo with prospects? I just don't get it, if a guy is ready let him play, if he isn't don't call him up.

I haven't cared to watch a game in a long time. Remember when everyone thought 75 wins was possible? It's looking more likely to be a 100 loss season. I just am hoping for new blood and new approach to the game of baseball top down. This isn't working.
  • adjacent, TheLeviathan, Danchat and 3 others like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#53 jandersh

jandersh

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 130 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

I hope this means May is back in the rotation when he comes off the DL. I'd really like to see him get a few starts to end the year to make it clear he's a starter going into training camp.

• Danchat, d-mac and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#54 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,268 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

Berrios is brutal to watch.  It looks like his skin is crawling when he steps on the mound.  He is way out of his element, just like Buxton.

What is it they are doing to these kids?  Honestly.  We hear so much about the work ethic, the talent, the character........and then they get here and they look like they want out.

Let Berrios and Buxton sit together on the bus.  I am so sick and tired of hearing about them.  Might be nice if those two names were banned for a week.  No one mention them.

• bluechipper likes this

#55 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

Remember before Berrios was promoted there was some talk by coaches of things he needed to work on in spite of the gaudy numbers? Their claim has been validated. His command is non-existent.

At least Berrios has something to build on next season, now that he has some big-league experience.

I think the coaching staff is far less clueless than some of you believe.

Well I'd like to see him get a shot here WITHOUT them trying to change his mechanics immediately.
Let the kids throw how he threw in the minors.
  • DocBauer and d-mac like this

#56 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

I'm still waiting for you to publicly say on this site you don't agree with a move the Twins make :-)

Fair enough, but I guarantee there have been plenty of times I disagree with their decisions. I just don'e rehash them, over, and over, and over, and...

These make sense for the right now though.

• SQUIRREL, nokomismod, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this

#57 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

They got to see what Wheeler has before he leaves as a MiLB FA this coming off-season. 

Wheeler doesn't become a MiLB free agent this offseason, so no worries... but again, I think he's a September call up too. I'm guessing Albers isn't on the roster after September 6.

#58 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Fair enough, but I guarantee there have been plenty of times I disagree with their decisions. I just don'e rehash them, over, and over, and over, and...

These make sense for the right now though.

Everyone took my joke too seriously.  Seth, I've said something like this to you like 10 times since I've been here, I believe each time with a smiley face.  I'm guessing it hasn't been memorable enough for you to notice.  I'll stop with what I thought was just a running joke.

Edited by jimmer, 25 August 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#59 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,433 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Identifying and publicly disclosing a player's weakness does not make someone a good coach. Quietly fixing it does.

When you're getting hammered with questions by reporters, "why isn't so and so up with the Twins," sometimes the truth comes out. Is truth bad?

#60 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Wheeler doesn't become a MiLB free agent this offseason, so no worries... but again, I think he's a September call up too. I'm guessing Albers isn't on the roster after September 6.

Ok. Had my timing off.Mea Culpa. Thanks :)

Still why not promote the guy 10 days before and keep Albers in Rochester? 

This is Antony being totally tone deaf and not getting that Albers is the poster boy of the 99+96+96+92 era to a whole bunch of us.What's next?Claiming Diamond off waivers from the Jays?

• d-mac likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: berrios, duffy, albers