Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Berrios, Duffy Optioned to AAA

berrios duffy albers
  • Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,935 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

The Twins optioned Duffy and Berrios to AAA and recalled Andrew Albers.  The other move to be announced tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/LaVelleNeal 

I'd rather have seen someone other than Albers come back up, but we may get that wish anyway.  What would the other options be?Wheeler?Gonsalves?Both would need to be added to the 40-man, IIRC.

Edited by wsnydes, 25 August 2016 - 03:25 PM.

• glunn likes this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#2 gmarais66

gmarais66

• 221 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

The Twins optioned Duffy and Berrios to AAA and recalled Andrew Albers.  The other move to be announced tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/LaVelleNeal 

Albers has no business pitching in the major leagues... This team seems to have no idea what it's doing with pitchers. There is obviously no plan of any kind in place about how they want to proceed or develop pitchers. It's like chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Edited by gmarais66, 25 August 2016 - 03:05 PM.

• Thrylos, alarp33, Kevin and 8 others like this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,554 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Not sure why this is necessary when September call ups are a week away. Whatever. 

• Thrylos, adjacent, bluechipper and 7 others like this

#4 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,935 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

Not sure why this is necessary when September call ups are a week away. Whatever. 

The only thing that I could think of for reasoning would be if they're bringing up Gonsalves or Wheeler and want to get as long of a look as possible.  I imagine that Gonsalves is up against an innings limit, so one start could be a bigger deal.  Otherwise, I'm left scratching my head as well.

• Vanimal46 likes this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#5 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

In other news, I have not watched a game in over a month. 

• birdwatcher, Badsmerf, TheLeviathan and 6 others like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

I'd love to see them both stay up and work on things at the big league level, but frankly, I can't argue with either of these demotions. 

Can't argue with Albers coming up either. He is what he is and that's fine for the Twins at this point. I'd like to see Wheeler get a shot to start too now. 

• glunn, jimbo92107, Deduno Abides and 4 others like this

#7 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,912 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

More indications that the new GM needs to be from outside the system. Yuk. Albers. This is comical. The only starting pitcher we have that is worth counting on (and this unfortunately includes Gibson) is a PED graduate. Sad state of affairs.
  • spanman2, Kwak and d-mac like this

#8 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

I'd love to see them both stay up and work on things at the big league level, but frankly, I can't argue with either of these demotions. 

Can't argue with Albers coming up either. He is what he is and that's fine for the Twins at this point. I'd like to see Wheeler get a shot to start too now. 

So they're going to get 2 starts or whatever for the Red Wings? What's the point?

• adjacent, Danchat, dgwills and 3 others like this

#9 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• 278 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

Albers has no business pitching in the major leagues... This team seems to have no idea what it's doing with pitchers. There is obviously no plan of any kind in place about how they want to proceed or develop pitchers. It's like chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Berios with a 9.24 era has no business pitching in the major leagues.

• nokomismod likes this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,554 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

So they're going to get 2 starts or whatever for the Red Wings? What's the point?

All I can see is just getting 2 pitchers out of the rotation for a start, maybe 2, who are stuggling mightily. In other words, there's not much of a point to this. 

• bluechipper, DocBauer and KirbyDome89 like this

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,554 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Berios with a 9.24 era has no business pitching in the major leagues.

He's really going to learn his lesson with his 1 start in Rochester before September call-ups... 

• Danchat, bluechipper, Platoon and 4 others like this

#12 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,375 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

This is a really gross to nauseating move even if it somewhat needed to happen due to the short starts and lack of innings pitched by Berrios or Duffy. I know why they are doing it as these two have been killing the bullpen but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

This should serve as an indictment on the Twins scouting and instructional staffs in this a lost major league season that they are sending Berrios and Duffy back to AAA two really important pieces to the Twins organization. The major league instructional staff especially, the fact that they cannot help these two or get through to them should be a sign of change being needed.

To be sending back Berrios and Duffey and wasting innings on Andrew Albers at this point is to me a complete waste of time and lacks organizational foresight of the big picture. I would much rather see Berrios and Duffy coming out of the bullpen then wasting any more innings or wear and tear in AAA. 

• Kevin, bluechipper and d-mac like this

#13 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,949 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

So these guys won't make the playoff roster right? On the bright side we are getting closer to the first pick again.

• birdwatcher, nokomismod, Platoon and 4 others like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#14 GMinTraining

GMinTraining

Ft Myers Miracle

• 395 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

I'm loving it because the Red Wings are 4 games out of the AAA playoffs with 5 games against the team ahead of them (Lehigh Valley).  Berrios and Duffy should definitely help them chase that year long goal (for the players who spent the season in AAA).  The Twins might be able to win at some level (AAA).  

MEJIA

DUFFY

BERRIOS

WHEELER

GREENWOOD

Nice Rotation

• birdwatcher, Monkeypaws, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this

#15 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Pat Dean and Andrew Albers are 2/5 of the rotation. I feel like it's 2013 again.

• ashbury, Mike Sixel, adjacent and 7 others like this

#16 TheBoofIsLoose

TheBoofIsLoose

Elizabethton Twins

• 33 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

Ineptitude, no other way to describe it. If this team was a dog, management would have left it in the car with the windows rolled up a long time ago.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#17 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Ft Myers Miracle

• 265 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

While I certainly understand why people are perplexed by these moves, Berrios and Duffey are getting absolutely bludgeoned right now. At some point, the referee needs to step in and stop the fight.

Edited by Dozier's Glorious Hair, 25 August 2016 - 03:42 PM.

• Han Joelo, nokomismod, SwainZag and 11 others like this

#18 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

While I certainly understand why people are perplexed by these moves, Berrios and Duffey are getting absolutely bludgeoned right now. At some point, the referee needs to step in and stop the fight.

Because dominating AAA helped so well the last time? They've got one or two starts before Rochester's season is over anyway. They need to get experience against MLB hitters, especially Berrios.

• h2oface, Danchat, Platoon and 2 others like this

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

I just don't even care anymore. It's like this team is actively lobbying me to not give a ****.

• TheLeviathan, COtwin, Danchat and 9 others like this

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

I'm borderline angry with this move. The only thing that would satisfy me is if the other half of the move is a trade for a "good" pitcher.

I understand that they were getting killed, and maybe they are just worn out and need to get shut down. Just shut em down and keep them with the club to keep working w/ the big league staff.
  • Jham, Hosken Bombo Disco and d-mac like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: berrios, duffy, albers