Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Surprise: "R&R" does not work for Wimmers' elbow

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Apparently Wimmers has suffered a "setback" Not sure whether TJ is the next step, but add another casualty to the Twins' medical staff and the 'rest and rehab' method. This situation just cannot continue...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,069 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

I see that dankind was all over it.

#3 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Does this suprise anyone? Didn't think so.

#4 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

This is madening:mad:. The Twins are so stupid sometimes

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

someone should have to answer to the thought process in this.....have the surgery in April & be ready for next year. If rest works, you're back in late July/Aug & pitch only a handful of innings & still dont know if it worked

#6 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I see that dankind was all over it.

It's cute how many spambots Danny has following him.

#7 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

This team is a joke from top to bottom and there's zero accountability for screwups throughout.

#8 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

He still misses all of next season if surgery was in April or August, you just don't do surgery for ache or pain.

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,257 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

TJ in April 2012 = Pitching in April/May 2013... TJ in August 2012 = Pitching in August/September 2013 (No minor league games after 1st week in September) Seems like a big difference to me. Partially torn UCL is not just an ache or pain.

#10 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Remember when TR said he was going to address the medical staff during his first presser as GM? The guy is just protecting his buddies so they can continue collecting paychecks. TR is a nice guy but at some point the Polads need to realize that this nice/cheap GM is killing this organization.

#11 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

He still misses all of next season if surgery was in April or August, you just don't do surgery for ache or pain.

What??? Kyle Gibson got the surgery last September and he started pitching competitively on July 10. If Wimmers had it done in April he could've been ready to pitch by opening day next year. The Twins took at least 3 months of valuable development time from him.

And as for saying you don't do surgery for ache or pain...Yeah I am jumping to conclusions here but I'm pretty confident that the MRI is going to show no improvement on the UCL and they will eventually decide to do the surgery. Its just too predictable...

Edited by righty8383, 29 July 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#12 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, I don't think there are too many Twins fans who didn't see this coming....the medical staff has been mucking things up for years now. They need to be replaced immediately following the season....or sooner, if possible.

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,196 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

this wasn't an ache or pain, it was a partially torn UCL that everyone and his brother said would lead to this. You do Tommy John in April, and he's pitching next year.... Now he won't be.

#14 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

why ANYONE tries the 3/4month rest/rehab baffles me as I dont believe its worked for anyone. Aroldis Vizcaino of ATL was able to put it off a yr or so in 2010 & is considered a success story before he needed TJ this yr. I dont think there is a success story of rehab, is there???

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Apparently Wimmers has suffered a "setback" Not sure whether TJ is the next step, but add another casualty to the Twins' medical staff and the 'rest and rehab' method. This situation just cannot continue...

Has anyone looked at other organizations to see the prevalence of this kind of thing with them too. It seems egregious right now, but I would like a comparison.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 7,999 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Has anyone looked at other organizations to see the prevalence of this kind of thing with them too. It seems egregious right now, but I would like a comparison.

I think it might have just happened to Naftali Feliz as well. Hard to tell what happens in other organizations unless you follow all their MiLB systems. BA might have an answer :)
-----

#17 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,195 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think it might have just happened to Naftali Feliz as well. Hard to tell what happens in other organizations unless you follow all their MiLB systems. BA might have an answer :)

Royals have had 6 pitchers get TJ surgery thus far this year.

I hate how long they waited on this one, but surgery should always be the last option. Let's hope Wimmers doesn't need TJ but if he does he gets it done sooner rather than later.

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 7,999 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Royals have had 6 pitchers get TJ surgery thus far this year.

I hate how long they waited on this one, but surgery should always be the last option. Let's hope Wimmers doesn't need TJ but if he does he gets it done sooner rather than later.

I know about the Royals. But those were right away, no R&R, right?
-----

#19 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

:mad::confused::mad:

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,196 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

I remember reading somewhere that it works 50% of the time, though I agree I haven't heard of many examples... I do know there are a couple out there, but none come to mind.