Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Astros @ Twins, 8/10 @ 7:10 CT

game thread astros ervin santana dallas keuchel strat-o-matic
  • Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

Game Thread: Astros @ Twins, 8/10 @ 7:10 CT

Probable Starters: Dallas Keuchel (7-11, 4.56 ERA) vs Ervin Santana (5-9, 3.62 ERA)

1. Jose Altuve
The current favorite for the AL MVP, Jose Altuve is just killing MLB pitching. Altuve is batting an insane .361/.427/.570 – and that’s no small sample size. He’s whacked 19 HRs – which is pretty darn good for a guy with 36 total career HRs in 5 previous seasons. He’s also had an amazing K/BB ratio of 49/48. He’s also fast, stealing 26 bases in 31 tries. What can’t this guy do? Move over, Mike Trout, ‘cause Altuve is no doubt a superstar in his own right. And he does all this at the tiny size of 5’6” & 165 lbs! He’s basically the same size as me and he’s the best player in the American League! I don’t get how he does it, but I like him a lot. I don’t see anyone else being the AL MVP.

2. Finally, Chargois!!
I was originally planning on using this section to complain about Chargois not being on the Twins roster. The good news is that he is (May on the DL)! J. T. was tearing up AAA with an ERA of 1.80 and a K/9 over 9. He is definitely a candidate for a closer or at least setup guy of the future, so let’s hope the next month and a half can be used for Chargois’ development.

3. Lineups
Astros
Dallas Keuchel (L)
1. George Springer ® RF
2. Alex Bregman ® 3B
3. Jose Altuve ® 2B
4. Carlos Correa ® SS
5. Marwin Gonzalez (S) 1B
6. Preston Tucker (L) DH
7. Jake Marisnick ® CF
8. Jason Castro (L) C
9. Tony Kemp (L) LF

Twins
Ervin Santana ®
1. Brian Dozier ® 2B
2. Robbie Grossman (S) LF
3. Miguel Sano ® DH
4. Trevor Plouffe ® 1B
5. Max Kepler (L) RF
6. Jorge Polanco (S) 3B
7. Eduardo Escobar (S) SS
8. Kurt Suzuki ® C
9. Eddie Rosario (L) CF

4. Today’s Special Event
Now it’s time for that event I foreshadowed earlier… it’s time for some Strat-o-matic Baseball!

kb7hut.jpg

Has anyone else played this game before? If you haven’t it’s basically a baseball board game, but it functions like a simulator. Every player has a card with numerous outcomes on it – Sano’s card would have lots of strikeouts and more HRs than the average player, and so on. You roll dice to see what outcome will happen. But why do I mention this game?

Well, that’s because… during today’s baseball game, I will be simulating the same game using the Strat-o-matic Baseball Board Game! You can’t actually purchase this year’s set of players until the year is over and they’ve been made, but that won’t stop me. Years ago I developed a way to play the game without the need of buying more sets of cards. All I need are the players’ current stats and I can simulate the game with maintained accuracy.

During today’s thread, I will be reporting what happens in the board game. After each inning’s over, I’ll tell you guys what has happened. I hope you find this as exciting as I do!

OK Twins, not only do you need to win, but you also need to beat the Astros at a board game version of baseball! Let’s go for the double victory!

• ashbury, USAFChief, ScrapTheNickname and 8 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,206 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

That Altuve, at 5' 6" 165 is one of the best players in the game is just another reason why baseball is fabulous!
  • Carole Keller, ScrapTheNickname, LaBombo and 7 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#3 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,009 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Now it’s time for that event I foreshadowed earlier… it’s time for some Strat-o-matic Baseball! >>>>>>>>I bought one, but they didn't send along the cord to hook it into my box, so I took it back! Only a complete fool would send out a computer game without all the hardware!

Edited by Platoon, 10 August 2016 - 05:16 PM.

• ashbury, USAFChief, LaBombo and 2 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,212 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

I've got a Kurt Suzuki card...

Umm, go fish?

I think I'm catching onto this game.
  • USAFChief, Riverbrian, Danchat and 1 other like this

#5 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

That Altuve, at 5' 6" 165 is one of the best players in the game is just another reason why baseball is fabulous!

This 5'4" guy nods his head in approval...
  • USAFChief, LaBombo, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#6 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

Astros designate Carlos Gomez for assignment.
  • LaBombo likes this

#7 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

Astros designate Carlos Gomez for assignment.

Yeah, I just saw that right after I finished writing my article. I would have talked about it, but I did mention him struggling in yesterday's thread.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#8 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, I just saw that right after I finished writing my article. I would have talked about it, but I did mention him struggling in yesterday's thread.

I just saw that Gunnarthor already started a thread in Other Baseball.

#9 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

In the midst of a huge thunderstorm up here on the Great Lake.No way to do anything outside now with lightning and thunder. 

he gone!

#10 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

kb7hut.jpg

Has anyone else played this game before? If you haven’t it’s basically a baseball board game, but it functions like a simulator. Every player has a card with numerous outcomes on it – Sano’s card would have lots of strikeouts and more HRs than the average player, and so on. You roll dice to see what outcome will happen. But why do I mention this game?

Well, that’s because… during today’s baseball game, I will be simulating the same game using the Strat-o-matic Baseball Board Game! You can’t actually purchase this year’s set of players until the year is over and they’ve been made, but that won’t stop me. Years ago I developed a way to play the game without the need of buying more sets of cards. All I need are the players’ current stats and I can simulate the game with maintained accuracy.

During today’s thread, I will be reporting what happens in the board game. After each inning’s over, I’ll tell you guys what has happened. I hope you find this as exciting as I do!

OK Twins, not only do you need to win, but you also need to beat the Astros at a board game version of baseball! Let’s go for the double victory!

I did play this game a few times many years ago. Thought it was a fairly realistic game simulation because even though it started with basic stats there were several levels of randomization which made the outcome unpredictable.

• Danchat likes this

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,212 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

In the midst of a huge thunderstorm up here on the Great Lake.No way to do anything outside now with lightning and thunder.

We could use the rain down here in Texas. I think it's been stormy one time here since June.

#12 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Can't you hear the thunder down there?

• Riverbrian and Vanimal46 like this

he gone!

#13 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• Members
  • 8,634 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:59 PM

We could use the rain down here in Texas. I think it's been stormy one time here since June.

That's when all that bad flooding in Houston was, wasn't it?
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#14 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:02 PM

Almost game time and no reception on Dish up here yet. Where's my old crystal radio?

Edited by Halsey Hall, 10 August 2016 - 06:02 PM.

• Riverbrian likes this

he gone!

#15 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:02 PM

Been waiting to see Kuechel pitch. 

It's not my fault !

#16 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

• Members
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

Almost game time and no reception on Dish up here yet. Where's my old crystal radio?

My great, great grandparents used to tell me that if you take a thin wire and connect it to the spindle on the Victrola and keep cranking it, you could sometimes pickup an AM signal of the game. 

his_masters_voice_vintage_rca_dog_a.jpg

Edited by HitInAPinch, 10 August 2016 - 06:07 PM.

• USAFChief, LaBombo, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

It's not my fault !

#17 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

Looks like we might get clipped. http://www.accuweath...ather-radar/948

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,212 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

That's when all that bad flooding in Houston was, wasn't it?

Yep in May it was a record setting month for rain totals, and it continued for the first 2-3 weeks in June. Since then it's been bone dry, sunny, and hot.

#19 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

• Members
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

Game On !!

8be0e8edd3a5dbe59d0eab26f1997f94.jpg

• Riverbrian likes this

It's not my fault !

#20 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

• Members
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

Plouffe at 1st ?Interesting lineup moves.Don't like Grossman playing now...

It's not my fault !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, astros, ervin santana, dallas keuchel, strat-o-matic