Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Who gets Sent Down when Plouffe Returns? Official: It's Buxton

options position vargas infield
  • Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,917 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

My top choices:

1. DFA Plouffe. He shouldn't be on this roster next year, he shouldn't be blocking Vargas, Polanco, or Sano this year. Rotate Sano, Polanco, Vargas, etc.....so the young guys play 80% of the time.

2. DFA Santana. Polcanco is a better version of the same player. Not playing Polanco more at 3B or the OF in AAA is awful, unless they plan to trade Dozier or Polanco......just awful.

3. Send Vargas down, play Polanco at 3B, put Sano at DH.

400000. Send Sano down. 

• 70charger, bluechipper, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#42 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,659 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

I'd probably send Buxton down. Rosario can man CF and Plouffe can spend time alternating between 3rd and OF until he's hopefully traded.Buxton has hardly turned it around in his second stint and can use more time working on AAA pitching.

• wickedslider likes this

#43 mazeville

mazeville

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Most likely scenario: Send down Vargas, play Plouffe most days in the coming week-10 days, then trade him for the bag of balls you're likely to get for him. 

It's a bummer for Vargas. You could theoretically send down Sano, but that would be stupid. And Vargas can come back up shortly, if not by September callup time. 

• stringer bell and LA VIkes Fan like this

#44 glanzer

glanzer

• 243 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Someone will conveniently get injured today, making it a moot point.

• USAFChief, scottz, stringer bell and 2 others like this

#45 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,659 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Most likely scenario: Send down Vargas, play Plouffe most days in the coming week-10 days, then trade him for the bag of balls you're likely to get for him. 

It's a bummer for Vargas. You could theoretically send down Sano, but that would be stupid. And Vargas can come back up shortly, if not by September callup time. 

Vargas' OPS since getting called up is north of 1.000. I really hope and pray to God they don't do that to accommodate Plouffe.It's bad enough that they really need to give Park another shot and will have issues balancing Park, Vargas, and Mauer between 2 positions.

To me, it almost has to be Buxton (and sadly it won't happen).Nothing against the guy, but he still isn't ready.Perhaps they do Sano. Not a fan of that idea personally either as Sano has had far more success at this level.Plouffe needs to come up and play so he can get traded for something... anything.

#46 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,273 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

A small injury may in fact become disabling at this point. I expect they will give Plouffe enough at-bats to show he's healthy and swinging at least OK.

#47 mazeville

mazeville

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

To me, it almost has to be Buxton (and sadly it won't happen).Nothing against the guy, but he still isn't ready.Perhaps they do Sano. Not a fan of that idea personally either as Sano has had far more success at this level.Plouffe needs to come up and play so he can get traded for something... anything.

So how are you going to give all of these guys playing time? Sano needs to play daily. You have to play Plouffe if you're going to trade him. Mauer is Mauer. Vargas needs playing time. Oh, and so does Jorge Polanco.

Meanwhile, you're going to send a guy down who has slowly improved every month, is striking out less and is walking more and plays all-world defense in a cavernous outfield. And you'll replace him with more Danny Santana? No thank you. 

In any event, let this be made perfectly clear: My idea here would be to get Plouffe back on the major league roster, demonstrate to other teams that he doesn't suck, then place him on waivers in the hopes of making an August trade. And then Vargas would come right back. 

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#48 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,295 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

Vargas' OPS since getting called up is north of 1.000. I really hope and pray to God they don't do that to accommodate Plouffe.It's bad enough that they really need to give Park another shot and will have issues balancing Park, Vargas, and Mauer between 2 positions.

Buxton has a clear spot to play every day in the majors, and should.  By sending him down, you are not only putting him in the minors, but blocking 2 of Vargas, Sano, Polanco (assuming Plouffe plays) in an indirect way.  Shouldn't the point be to play the young guys who are going to be a big part of 2017?

• scottz and wsnydes like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#49 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,852 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

Are we all just adding 10 lbs to Sano's weight as each day goes on? He's going to be a "400lb Sano" by the end of the season

Haha it's like the giant blueberry girl from willy wonka and the chocolate factory, just keeps growing bigger and bigger.

Edited by laloesch, 05 August 2016 - 09:55 AM.

• alarp33 likes this

#50 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,427 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

Okay, who to send down. Better yet, who do you want to have play and where.

We want to see Polanco play. Looks like it will be third, maybe short, a game or two at second between now and September. But having Plouffe on the roster means Plouffe plays third, or maybe first with Mauer DHing, then Vargas is out of a job. Whew, rotating players.

We want to see Sano. But he can't DH if we have Vargas, or if Plouffe plays 1st and Mauer at DH, and then Polanco sits on the bench, or maybe plays second or short that day. But Sano needs to up his skills playing third. I say let him do it for 15-20 games at Rochester, as well as work on his pitch selection. Seems viable at this point.

But we still have Polanco running around to different positions, Plouffe getting tryouts at different positions, and a full outfield.

Assuming we want Kepler and Rosario playing everyday. We also have Grossman, who has slowed a bit, but still is better in the lineup than sitting on the bench. We also have Santana doing, whatever, keeping a place warm on the bench in case Molly needs to sit during the game. Buxton ahs not been pulling his weight. I say send him down, too, to play 15-20 games in centerfield and work on his bunting exclusively, speed, taking pitches. He is a viable leadoff guy, but not right now in Minnesota. Let him lead-off in Rochester. Of course, who else can we bring up if we send down Buxton AND Sano.

I liked where someone said send down a starter. We only have four anyways. We seem to always have a start worked by the bullpen. We can send down any of the relief guys, hope Milone disappears. Anyways, we should be sending Duffey back down. Let's look at another possible body (heck, I would even accept the temporary second-coming of Albers at this point - looks like Darnell blew it again by going on the DL). 

We have four 40-man spots open. We could have a fifth (Milone). We could have a 6th (Suzuki). We could have a 7th (Plouffe).

Now I like Plouffe and all. But whoever has him on their major league roster at season's end needs to offer him year three of arbitration, or let him walk. I would rather make that another team's responsibility. Unless you, as the Twins general manager, sees him as such a fit that you call him into the office and offer him a 3-year contract today. But that could be anywhere's from $20 to the upside of $30 million. Where does he play. WHo doesn't play (Sano, Polanco, Vargas).

Like Milone, like Suzuki...you now have three players that you will probably get absolutely no return for today or after the season ends. If you let them walk today, you save salary if another team does grab them. Maybe you stick with Suzuki because he is the only one really playing and contributing. 

And we haven't even come to the dilemma of what do we do with Byung-Ho Park. Where can this guy play if we have Polanco at third, Mauer at first, Sano at DH (or Vargas).

Let's really complicate things. If we send out Sano (for Plouffe) and also Buxton. Who do we bring up to replace Buxton for the moment? Park (so we can dangle him out there on the waiver wire). Or perhaps an early look at Walker off the bench...who is another guy in the logjam of DH/OF/1B.

I can't believe I'm saying this...with four 40-man spots open on the rosters, the Twins have too much offense right now!

I say Sano down to work on fielding. He should understand that (how many games HAS he played at third in the last year...really). Buxton down to get better. Milone on waivers. Suzuki see if you can get a low-level prospect and salary relief at least (because we DO have to see Murphy catch some more). If you need to bring up Park for a week and see if he can pound the ball and then put him on waivers to see if there is interest, do so. He is more of a position problem right now, unless you are willing to let him linger at Rochester again next season, or flip Vargas at some point.

Polanco needs to play. At third. It would be nicer if he could handle shortstop fulltime and have Escobar be the utility guy. Plouffe needs to play...one/two games at major leagues...then goes or sits. Again, IS HE IN THE FUTURE PLANS. If he is, then trade off Sano or Park or Vargas. Or send Mauer down to the minors to work on base running skills.

I'm starting to get confused. Now the biggest question of all ... where can Danny Santana play. I'm sure that is the first name Molly wants to write in on the line-up card everyday!

Edited by Rosterman, 05 August 2016 - 09:56 AM.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#51 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,852 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

Buxton has a clear spot to play every day in the majors, and should.  By sending him down, you are not only putting him in the minors, but blocking 2 of Vargas, Sano, Polanco (assuming Plouffe plays) in an indirect way.  Shouldn't the point be to play the young guys who are going to be a big part of 2017?

Man I don't know.If you can't hit .200 as an everyday player in the outfield it's hard to justify keeping him here.Clearly he is not ready for major league pitching. 

#52 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,295 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

Man I don't know.If you can't hit .200 as an everyday player in the outfield it's hard to justify keeping him here.Clearly he is not ready for major league pitching. 

I don't know why in a lost season you wouldn't want him to get these last 2 months in the majors? He's proven he can hit AAA pitching. How does him spending more time there help the team in 2017

• jbissell, wsnydes and mazeville like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#53 spycake

spycake

• 16,974 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

I don't know why in a lost season you wouldn't want him to get these last 2 months in the majors? He's proven he can hit AAA pitching. How does him spending more time there help the team in 2017

Plus the AAA season ends in a month, and then Buxton is back in MLB anyway.  I guess you could let him finish on a high note by ending in AAA, but it would still probably be a low note because he'd still have his lingering poor MLB results hanging over him all winter.  Probably have to tough it out in the majors and hope for some signs of progress.

Edited by spycake, 05 August 2016 - 10:15 AM.

• alarp33, bluechipper and wsnydes like this

#54 dgwills

dgwills

• 594 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

It still creates a logjam for Plouffe/Sano/Vargas to get meaningful at bats.

The only thing I like about sending Buxton to AAA is it would give us a shot to showcase Rosario in CF for a potential trade for a SP

I'd like to hang on to Rosario. Who would replace him in left. Grossman? His defense is terrible.

There are a lot of people on this team who need or deserve at bats. Regardless of who you send down. If you include Mauer to the 3B/1B/DH logjam with sending Buxton down it's 4 guys and 3 positions. That should be manageable for a few weeks while we see if Plouffe has any value as a waiver wire claim.

#55 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,746 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

I hate to say it, but I think the answer is Vargas goes down and the Plouffe/Mauer/Sano triumvirate mans the 1B/3B/DH spots. Polanco gets 2-3 days a week at 3B when Mauer or Plouffe sits.  Polanco gets a day a week at 2B and a day at SS (or, even better, two days a week at SS with Escobar moving to 2B to give Dozier an occasional day), and a day a week in the OF instead of Santana. Santana essentially never plays. Plouffe then get traded by Aug 1 and we go back to what we're doing now.  I would advocate sending down Buxton but I don't think that solves the infield logjam problem unless you can make Polanco or Escobar an everyday Outfielder.  Sending down Buxton opens time for Grossman but we don't need time for that; we already know that he's a marginal 3rd OF and a pretty good 4th OF. The key thing from now on isn't winning but making sure that Polanco, Rosario, Kepler, Sano, and Buxton essentially play every day.  

Edited by BMCACCAL, 05 August 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#56 Jham

Jham

• 2,219 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

They simply need to release Plouffe. There is no reason to tender him this off season. He is not going to help them get anywhere the next two months.

The Twins risk creating a perception among the Latin American players that is going to be damaging to the team. What was the response by management to Mauer's repeated mistakes on the basepaths yesterday?

Sending down Sano or other better performing player of color and bringing up Plouffe will do damage in the clubhouse that may not be repaired. If this happens and Molitor doesn't see it coming he In no way should be a manager of any major league team.

Uhhh...  is there a race relations problem in the clubhouse I'm not aware of?  

No reason to keep Plouffe?  

1, it's possible he's a waiver trade option.  

2. It's possible we try to trade Dozier this offseason, move Polanco to 2nd, and do not feel sure Sano can be an adequate 3rd basemen.  

3. We may be able to extend Plouffe for cheap (hometeam discount, injuries, Sano leverage, low 3rd base market,etc).  

I'm not going to risk the rebuild and chance of contention next season by pushing all-in on Sano at third.  We can always non-tender Plouffe this winter if we decide we'd rather keep Dozier.  I just can't see keeping both or losing both.  

Edited by Jham, 05 August 2016 - 10:38 AM.

• Stan Zbornak and 70charger like this

#57 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers Miracle

• 339 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

BTW, I"m not saying sending Sano down is the right thing to do.  I know many, if not most, posters think there's nothing for him to learn in the minors.  It did Rosario some good, but it would really depend on whether the Twins think a stint in Rochester would provide an opportunity to improve his batting approach and his attitude (if that's really needed).

Its tough with the wake up calls.  The casual fans eye test says this guy doesn't have the work ethic right now.  Its so aggravating, its like bro, you haven't gotten paid yet, you haven't "arrived" .230 with 25 homers and no defensive value doesn't cut it in this league.  Would Rochester be a wake up call?  Maybe.  But I think the best wake up call will be Kepler absolutely dominating with our touted slugging prospect left in the dust sitting on the bench.

• bluechipper, Kwak and wickedslider like this
I get my opinions from media guides.

#58 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers Miracle

• 339 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

Uhhh...  is there a race relations problem in the clubhouse I'm not aware of?  

No reason to keep Plouffe?  

1, it's possible he's a waiver trade option.  

2. It's possible we try to trade Dozier this offseason, move Polanco to 2nd, and do not feel sure Sano can be an adequate 3rd basemen.  

3. We may be able to extend Plouffe for cheap (hometeam discount, injuries, Sano leverage, low 3rd base market,etc).  

I'm not going to risk the rebuild and chance of contention next season by pushing all-in on Sano at third.  We can always non-tender Plouffe this winter if we decide we'd rather keep Dozier.  I just can't see keeping both or losing both.  

What if we moved our best defensive infielder to third???? Looking at you Mauer.  He'd probably be great defensively and that opens up our logjam of DH/1B guys.  I can see Mauer saying yes to that vs right field at least.  

I get my opinions from media guides.

#59 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,273 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

Interesting to read all of these comments. I said at the very beginning that I think it will be Vargas and if I was making the decision I believe it still would be Vargas. IMHO, Vargas has put in his chit for consideration as a DH/1B going forward and his demotion would only be for three weeks. If I were the manager or GM, I'd tell him he's made progress and has a chance to figure in the team's future. Sending Vargas down would lessen the logjam of Polanco (3B), Sano, Plouffe, Mauer.

I won't get my knickers in a twist if anyone sits a day or two going forward, No one has played well enough long enough to expect to play every day. There is enough talent among the position players, I'm convinced of that.
  • brvama and bluechipper like this

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,917 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

from August....

Josh
12:36 What is your take on Miguel Sano? Word is that the Twins might demote him when Plouffe is activated on Monday. Good move?

august fagerstrom
12:37 Seems short-sighted and silly
Sano is a 23-year-old with a 131 wRC+ over 156 career games and is one of the two or three most important people currently in the Twins organization
Trevor Plouffe means nothing, and neither does the Twins current record

Look.....back to me again......

They aren't getting anything for Plouffe in the next two weeks. Pipe. Dream. They need to move on already. Even if they demote Sano, I'd still cut Plouffe, and play Polanco there full time. 

• SydneyTwinsFan, Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, position, vargas, infield