Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Who gets Sent Down when Plouffe Returns? Official: It's Buxton

options position vargas infield
  • Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

-Send Grossman down to the minors

Grossman is out of options.  He wouldn't clear waivers.

#22 dgwills

dgwills

• 592 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

The problem is that they called up Buxton to early. He had success in triple A, but not enough time to work on the issues that have caused his problems in MLB. Not to mention we would of gained another year of team control by leaving him there longer. I don't think sending him back down for a while will hurt his progression.

Plouffe will be a strong candidate for a waiver wire claim if he shows he can hit after coming back. Not that we should expect too much of a return.

#23 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:20 AM

Grossman is out of options.  He wouldn't clear waivers.

I guess DFA Santana or Plouffe at this stage then.

Seriously, does Santana have any real place on this team next year? He is an utterly terrible player these days anyways.

• Vanimal46 likes this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,829 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:20 AM

I'd like to send down Boshers but the Twins don't have another off day until two Monday's from now, so now way will they roll with 12 pitchers.

Molitor won't bench Plouffe and Polanco will end up getting no playing time again. So to give Anthony the benefit of the doubt, my guess is he'll send Polanco down to keep him playing every day because he knows his field manager won't do it up here.

You're right about Molitor not benching Plouffe, sadly. I have a feeling this is going to happen, which is a shame. Polanco has been red hot since he was called back up. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

I wonder if Plouffe is already on waivers.  You can request trade assignment waivers on a DL player if he is "eligible to be reinstated from the DL and healthy enough to play" which seems to apply to Plouffe on his rehab assignment.

• 70charger and dbminn like this

#26 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

The problem is that they called up Buxton to early. He had success in triple A, but not enough time to work on the issues that have caused his problems in MLB. Not to mention we would of gained another year of team control by leaving him there longer. I don't think sending him back down for a while will hurt his progression.

Plouffe will be a strong candidate for a waiver wire claim if he shows he can hit after coming back. Not that we should expect too much of a return.

It still creates a logjam for Plouffe/Sano/Vargas to get meaningful at bats.

The only thing I like about sending Buxton to AAA is it would give us a shot to showcase Rosario in CF for a potential trade for a SP

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#27 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,845 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'd be happy if it was DanSan, but it won't be.  

Kennys Vargas seems like the simplest choice, get Plouffe dealt on waivers within a couple of weeks and get Vargas back up

I'd hate to send Vargas down considering he seems to be finally on track after last year.Sano is struggling a bit but what about Buxton?I mean he's hitting .195.Horrible.

• wickedslider likes this

#28 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,845 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

It still creates a logjam for Plouffe/Sano/Vargas to get meaningful at bats.

The only thing I like about sending Buxton to AAA is it would give us a shot to showcase Rosario in CF for a potential trade for a SP

That is more logical to me anyways.Buxton should have spent the season in AAA.He is not ready for the majors yet.He is hitting .195Yuck! 

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,244 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

Why not just DFA Plouffe? Nobody wants to trade for him (or his salary) at this point, just do the right thing for him and everyone involved. Cut him.

Get Sano the everyday reps at 3rd base, and let Plouffe get picked up by a contending team looking for an extra bat/depth.

Sadly, this is the likely scenario, if no one wants Plouffe by the end of the month, I think. However if someone has an injury, he could be a good fit. Plouffe is an average or slightly better 3B when healthy, but I don't think he's been really healthy all year. It is too bad that the team is painted into a corner or moving him.

#30 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 220 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

Would the Twins really be concerned about burning Sano's option at this point?  If he's really the player that everyone thinks he is, does that option need to be saved for next year?

If they send Sano down this team is even dumber than I thought, Molitor needs to be fired. He might be the worst manager in all of baseball.

I think this is the problem.  Sano is not the player everyone thinks he is.  His defense has always been bad.  Attitude and work ethic count for a lot.  The first indication of serious problem is his weight.  A Sano at 300 lbs has substantially reduced utility compared Sano at 240 lbs.  In addition, weight becomes a concern for injuries and career longevity.  The Dodgers just optioned Yasiel Puig.  He is a great example of what happens when great talent meets poor attitude and work ethic.  (You can also add Pablo Sandovol to this list). If Sano has similar issues, then the sooner the Twins deal with this, the better off everyone will be--including Sano.

• Highabove, kab21, DuluthFan and 2 others like this

#31 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,667 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

Since Plouffe last played on July 1st the Twins have gone 18-11. That in a way confirms my thoughts on him all along the last few years.

• Vanimal46 likes this

he gone!

#32 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

Sadly, this is the likely scenario, if no one wants Plouffe by the end of the month, I think.

If they get to the end of the month without moving Plouffe, he is staying on the roster until the end of the season, regardless of whether they plan to tender him or not.  (I still think they might, or at least might want to negotiate a non-tender/re-sign).

They couldn't even bring themselves to cut Aaron Thompson before the end of the season last year, and they didn't even recall him in September when rosters expanded and they were rather desperate for pitchers (AJ Achter, long relief!).  They're not cutting Plouffe before the end of the year.

#33 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

Since Plouffe last played on July 1st the Twins have gone 18-11. That in a way confirms my thoughts on him all along the last few years.

Of course, on the day Plouffe went on the DL earlier this year, we had a 4-9 record.  And we proceeded to go 4-9 again without Plouffe. :)

• USAFChief, ThejacKmp and WLFINN like this

#34 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

I'd hate to send Vargas down considering he seems to be finally on track after last year.Sano is struggling a bit but what about Buxton?I mean he's hitting .195.Horrible.

I'm not really a Vargas believer, he's already started to cool down. I don't consider him part of the future, and would rather see Sano get at bats (DH), while Polanco also has room to play (3b)

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#35 DJL44

DJL44

• 679 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Send down Vargas, bring him back up when they can find someone to trade for Plouffe.

#36 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

I think this is the problem.  Sano is not the player everyone thinks he is.  His defense has always been bad.  Attitude and work ethic count for a lot.  The first indication of serious problem is his weight.  A Sano at 300 lbs has substantially reduced utility compared Sano at 240 lbs.  In addition, weight becomes a concern for injuries and career longevity. 

Are we all just adding 10 lbs to Sano's weight as each day goes on? He's going to be a "400lb Sano" by the end of the season

• SQUIRREL, scottz, ThejacKmp and 5 others like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#37 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

If they send Sano down this team is even dumber than I thought, Molitor needs to be fired. He might be the worst manager in all of baseball.

Not sure that Molitor will be the one making this decision, I imagine this is more of a GM call (with input from the coaching staff of course).

#38 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,244 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

Mod note: There's already a thread about Sano. If you are talking about his weight, his attitude etc. make your thoughts known there.

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

IF Plouffe is reinstated, my guess is Vargas to AAA.
  • stringer bell likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#40 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,150 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

When Plouffe is re-instated on Monday, I think they will send Polanco down. If not, then perhaps Buxton. I don't think it'll be Vargas because he's the primary DH and he's hitting really well.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, position, vargas, infield