Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Who gets Sent Down when Plouffe Returns? Official: It's Buxton

options position vargas infield
  • Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

they sit him after a few more starts.

I haven't been tracking the lineups too closely -- how much of this has been due to injury? Seems like Buxton has been dinged up a few times.
  • stringer bell likes this

#182 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,244 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

What the major league team has done with Buxton hasn't worked. Does everyone agree with that? I'm reading that he sat too much--gee, aside from injuries he got a lot of play for a guy who is hitting below the Mendoza Line. Pinch hitting? I remember only a few occasions, including Rosario's bomb on Friday night.

Right now, offensively, Buxton is a mess. How much is mechanical and how much is confidence I don't know. I really haven't seen much improvement at all before or after his last promotion or before or after missing time for an injury.

I thought the right play would be to continue to let BB try to figure it out at the major league level, but Buxton hasn't shown enough improvement that I can castigate the organization for sending him down.

• Eris likes this

#183 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,616 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

Of course, Hazel was hit in the head by a pitch in the spring of '58 and again early in the season. He spent a week in the hospital trying to get his equilibrium. I think that injury would be understood differently today.

Fair enough, if I'm going to repeatedly bang the Hurricane Hazle drum I'd better expect a response. :) It's not his career after the magical season that I focus on, but the minor league career before. He was a good prospect with a chance for a major league career, but nothing that came before prepared fans for what he achieved in the Braves '57 pennant drive.

Buxton is a far better prospect, so a 1.000 OPS at AAA isn't crazy. OTOH, in 2015 he hit better in his short stint in AAA than he had at AA, which for me sets off alarm bells - and sure enough his BABIP at AAA was an other-worldly .500. In longer duty at AAA in 2016, it's been .393. So, here's something he can still learn at AAA: how to help his team win when the hits aren't falling in and his BABIP is .200.

He probably can also learn to shorten his swing, get rid of the uppercut, change how he uses his foot for timing, whatever the coach thinks. :)

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#184 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,331 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

I'm usually in favor of keeping Buxton on the Twins, but the other night vs. Cleveland, I knew he was gonna strike out, and leave men on base, and he did, and so feebly.

He needs to go down, and not work on raking AAA pitching, we know he can do that.

Instead, they need to work with him to correct the flaws ML pitchers are exploiting and become a harder out at the ML level.

I don't know which coaching staff is best qualified to do it, but that would be my strategy.

EDIT Stepped away before posting, and have changed my mind: that should be on the ML staff. Don't think Bruno is the guy for that task. Molitor, however, would be the ideal personal coach for Buxton: speed, line drives, some power. PM is the ceiling of Buxton's potential. Wish he'd taker him under his wing and nurture the potential.

(don't know he hasn't, but it seems like an ideal match to me).

#185 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 220 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

What the major league team has done with Buxton hasn't worked. Does everyone agree with that? 

I agree with you.  Buxton's swing is too long.  His pitch recognition too poor and he can't bunt.  A positive is that at least he has shown some improvement in that his outs aren't as automatic as they were in the beginning of the season.  

#186 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

I don't know how they would swing it (!), but the answer for Byron Buxton is Chili Davis. If the Twins could figure out a way to rent Davis's services for one single month, he could fix Buxton's stance, swing, and approach. 

I don't know for sure if this is true, but I do know that for me, it's absolutely truthy. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#187 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,528 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

I keep reading people talking about Sano haters.  Who are these posters who hate Sano?  Are these the people who don't like his fielding?  Is that what it takes to be called a hater?

Weak attempt at a joke - my bad. Aimed as much at the broadcasters, media, and strib commenters, I guess. Obviously Sano is a work in progress but the whispering campaign bugs the hell out of me and is unnecessary. Who cares if he hangs out with his bros over the winter or didn't show up for batting practice one day? There could be a hundred legitimate reasons for that. But I digress.

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#188 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,528 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

He probably can also learn to shorten his swing, get rid of the uppercut, change how he uses his foot for timing, whatever the coach thinks. :)

Which coach? :)

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#189 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• 2,006 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

In a vacuum, I don't hate Buxton going to AAA.He has sucked and hopefully the AAA coaches can help him b/c the ML ones can't. 

I am bothered by the coaching staff's approach to him.He has a 1.000 OPS in AAA.He's a big time prospect on the Mauer level.Yet it seems like they have him bunt every other game, they pinch hit for him every third game, they sit him after a few more starts. 

I wish I could use a couple of "likes" on that post. 

#190 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,609 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Sano! He is gonna strike out. He doesn't need sent down to strikeout in AAA. I guess he gets the last laugh.

#191 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

Buxton being sent back down is a 100% failure on behalf of Bruno and Molly, hell even Kepler struggled until another teams HITTING COACH gave him some basic advice.

Bruno and Molly both need to be gone.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#192 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,515 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:20 AM

Buxton being sent back down is a 100% failure on behalf of Bruno and Molly, hell even Kepler struggled until another teams HITTING COACH gave him some basic advice.

I am on this train.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#193 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

While I'm not a fan of either Bruno or Molitor, dissecting the performance of a hitting coach is nebulous at best. I'd be fine with either/both getting the boot after the season but dropping the Kepler example on them is unfair.

Max Kepler's OPS bottomed out at .518. It was his 17th game of the season and the 20th game of his MLB career. Ten games later, his OPS stood at .750 and he hasn't looked back since that time.

I'm not going to "blame" the hitting coach for a rookie struggling for three weeks.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#194 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

Hell, I'm not even sure we can lay Buxton at their feet. Yeah, I think a better hitting coach/manager combo gets a bit more performance from Byron but the guy has 356 MLB PAs spread over two seasons.

That's barely half a season. The guy is still 22 years old.

I don't know what ails Buxton, whether it's his swing, mental state, injury history leading to sporadic playing time, or how he has been yo-yoed between the minors and MLB.

Some of those things can be laid at the feet of the coaching staff but I'm not ready to lay all of them at their feet.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#195 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

I'm ready to lay them on the coaching staff - the minor league coaching staff.  Molitor and Brunansky shouldn't have to be fixing Swing Issues 101.  What the hell is the point of the minors if not to address issues exactly like that one?

I know Bux is a good kid by all accounts, but does he maybe struggle to translate coaching to the field?

#196 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

I'm ready to lay them on the coaching staff - the minor league coaching staff.  Molitor and Brunansky shouldn't have to be fixing Swing Issues 101.  What the hell is the point of the minors if not to address issues exactly like that one?

I know Bux is a good kid by all accounts, but does he maybe struggle to translate coaching to the field?

I'm kind of leaning toward this angle myself. I think Bruno gets some blame, as we saw Buxton arrive with a leg kick that promptly disappeared. What the hell happened there and why?

But Byron is missing key fundamentals that should be ingrained in him at this point in his career. For example, bunting. I mean, COME ON.

Never mind that his swing should be much more consistent than it has been thus far, which I believe is more the fault of the MiLB staff than Bruno (though, again, he also gets some of the blame).

#197 kab21

kab21

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

I'm kind of leaning toward this angle myself. I think Bruno gets some blame, as we saw Buxton arrive with a leg kick that promptly disappeared. What the hell happened there and why?

But Byron is missing key fundamentals that should be ingrained in him at this point in his career. For example, bunting. I mean, COME ON.

Never mind that his swing should be much more consistent than it has been thus far, which I believe is more the fault of the MiLB staff than Bruno (though, again, he also gets some of the blame).

The most games that he has played at any affiliate was 87 games in High A split between 2 seasons. Overall he has only played 250 games in full season ball. That is about 2 seasons worth.

The problem with this blame game is that he hasn't stayed anywhere long (TD posters have wanted him pushed also), he has been injured and for the most part he has been one of the best players in his league throughout the minors.

I think people just need to relax and let Buxton play in AAA (and not demand a promotion after he tears it up for a month).  

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, position, vargas, infield