Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Who gets Sent Down when Plouffe Returns? Official: It's Buxton

options position vargas infield
  • Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,172 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:05 AM

Trevor Plouffe was sent to Rochester when the Twins went to Cleveland. He DHed last night and was 1-4. In total, it appears he is 3-11. I would expect Plouffe to remain in Rochester through the weekend, but probably about August 8th or 9th, he should be ready to return.

With the flexibility of the roster as is, the Twins could send out any position player. This late in the season, I would find it hard to believe that they would burn an option for any player who hasn't had his option used.

Here are my candidates: Danny Santana (DFA), Kennys Vargas, Jorge Polanco, Byron Buxton, and Miguel Sano. Of course, a trade could open a spot, but except for Suzuki, who would have to be replaced by another catcher, there aren't many waiver trade options left.

My bet would be Vargas. It is already crowded at 1B/3B/DH and his option was already used. What is the opinion of Twins Daily posters? Who should it be? Who will it be?
  • glunn likes this

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:21 AM

I don't think you'll use an option if the player is up when rosters expand.
I could be wrong but I think they have to stay down 25+ days to burn an option.

#3 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 219 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:57 AM

I think the Twins managment, by their public comments, are frustrated with Sano's effort.  In the last month he has K'd 36% of the time and has and iso of 0.148.  One reason not to send Sano down is to save an option year and to use it next year if he does not improve.  

Actually it is a tough list.  The easy choice is to send Polanco down as it would seem foolish to use an option year on Sano at this point in the season.  However, Polanco provides quality, professional at bats--something that is missing from too many of the Twins younger players.  Therefore, I think they will send Buxton down as they have already used an option year for him.  

• dgwills likes this

#4 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,292 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

I'd be happy if it was DanSan, but it won't be.  

Kennys Vargas seems like the simplest choice, get Plouffe dealt on waivers within a couple of weeks and get Vargas back up

• big dog and wsnydes like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#5 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,659 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

Leave Plouffe down for as long as the rules allow.

• jorgenswest, Shane Wahl, h2oface and 7 others like this

he gone!

#6 Kwak

Kwak

• 2,939 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

It's way too late to burn an option on a player. Someone like Buxton, Polanco, or Vargas will have to be the sacrificial lamb.

Edited by Kwak, 05 August 2016 - 07:35 AM.

#7 big dog

big dog

• 2,970 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

At this point, I would just put Plouffe on waivers immediately.  If he has to come back on the roster, send down Vargas and make sure he knows he'll be back as soon as possible.  I think we've seen enough of what the team can do without him.  Hopefully some other team wants to make a deal.

• 70charger likes this

#8 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

If they send Sano down this team is even dumber than I thought, Molitor needs to be fired. He might be the worst manager in all of baseball.
  • Shane Wahl, alarp33, h2oface and 2 others like this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#9 SheboyganBrats

SheboyganBrats

• 85 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

Would the Twins really be concerned about burning Sano's option at this point?  If he's really the player that everyone thinks he is, does that option need to be saved for next year?

BTW, I"m not saying sending Sano down is the right thing to do.  I know many, if not most, posters think there's nothing for him to learn in the minors.  It did Rosario some good, but it would really depend on whether the Twins think a stint in Rochester would provide an opportunity to improve his batting approach and his attitude (if that's really needed).

• ScrapTheNickname and Comrade Bork like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,634 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

Leave Plouffe down for as long as the rules allow.

This is my answer too. 

• Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking, adjacent and 2 others like this

#11 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,292 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

Does Plouffe have any minor league options remaining? Maybe he's the one that should be sent down until September. :)

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

How about a pitcher?

#13 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

Why not just DFA Plouffe? Nobody wants to trade for him (or his salary) at this point, just do the right thing for him and everyone involved. Cut him.

Get Sano the everyday reps at 3rd base, and let Plouffe get picked up by a contending team looking for an extra bat/depth.

• 70charger, bluechipper and Vanimal46 like this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,172 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

Plouffe is out of options and probably has too much MLB service time, anyway. The Twins are currently carrying 12 pitchers (the new minimum), although they might be able to get creative and only carry four starters somehow.

#15 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 745 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

Like many that have already posted:

1. Let Plouffe rehab for the maximum stint.
  2. Plouffe on waivers. Maybe the Indians will bite. He'd fit well on their bench as a part-time player/PH.
  3. Vargas sent down with assurances he'll be back 9/1, although Sano needs the remedial work more at this point.

Edited by dbminn, 05 August 2016 - 08:12 AM.

• 70charger likes this

#16 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• 373 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

The real question is not who, but why someone would be sent down.  The case for demoting Sano has been already been debated at length in this thread.

What is the benefit or reason for demoting any of the other players? 

Regarding Santana. While he has clearly been an underperformer - it makes little sense to jettison a player with 1 month left for 25 man rosters.  You keep him on the roster, plant him at the end of the bench through September and consider your options.

Vargas would seem to benefit the organization by staying up and getting a start a couple of times of week. Vargas could still be the DH of the future or a valuable trade chip as the team tries to add some veterans to round out the roster. Showcasing him and giving him a chance to state his case as a viable DH and backup to Mauer makes sense.

I am confounded with why they kept Polanco at second base in Rochester when Dozier has clearly locked down this position for the future.  You could send him down and put him in the lineup everyday with heavy reps at 3rd or short to see if he could be a solid utility player.  If not, keep him up and showcase him as a trade chip for a team looking to rebuild and who needs a second baseman.

Edited by MileHighTwinsFan, 05 August 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#17 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

I don't think you'll use an option if the player is up when rosters expand.
I could be wrong but I think they have to stay down 25+ days to burn an option.

20 days.  So they'd actually have to option one player now, then recall him and option another guy about a week before September roster expansion.

Among position players, this really only applies to Sano -- I think he's the only one with options left who hasn't already used one this year (aside from Dozier, and it appears Centeno has one left too).  And if we're debating whether to option Sano in 2018, we've probably got bigger problems!

We could do it with a pitcher -- they could option May for less than 20 days to stretch out for starting, and swap him for Duffey later in the month.  Duffey could probably use a break on innings, and May could use some extra ones thanks to his injuries (even if he doesn't open 2017 as a starter).

Edited by spycake, 05 August 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#18 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

There are only 3 acceptable answers IMO

-DFA Santana

-Send Grossman down to the minors

-DFA Plouffe

Vargas needs at bats, Sano needs at bats and reps at 3rd (NTM he is one of the best hitters this team has anyways!) Ditto with Buxton and the rest.

I honestly don't see why they are so worried about letting Santana go at this stage, they have Polanco, they are fine.

Grossman has earned his spot, but he is a 4th OF moving fwd, if they really are that keen on keeping both Santana and Plouffe (two guys who shouldn't be here in 2017) then send down Grossman.

See my post above about Plouffe, he still obviously is good enough to play in the majors for a number of teams, he just isn't a fit for a last place rebuilding club. Let him goto a contender and try to build up his value for his next contract that way.

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,450 posts

They simply need to release Plouffe. There is no reason to tender him this off season. He is not going to help them get anywhere the next two months.

The Twins risk creating a perception among the Latin American players that is going to be damaging to the team. What was the response by management to Mauer's repeated mistakes on the basepaths yesterday?

Sending down Sano or other better performing player of color and bringing up Plouffe will do damage in the clubhouse that may not be repaired. If this happens and Molitor doesn't see it coming he In no way should be a manager of any major league team.
  • Highabove and Vanimal46 like this

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,749 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:13 AM

I'd like to send down Boshers but the Twins don't have another off day until two Monday's from now, so now way will they roll with less than 12 pitchers.

Molitor won't bench Plouffe and Polanco will end up getting no playing time again. So to give Anthony the benefit of the doubt, my guess is he'll send Polanco down to keep him playing every day because he knows his field manager won't do it up here.

• Vanimal46 and Tom Froemming like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, position, vargas, infield