Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Speculation

carroll morneau trade deadline willingham
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

With the trade of Liriano for a couple of guys who will wear major league uniforms, but won't likely make a huge impact, the Twins have traded one big leaguer. Will they make more trades? Who will go? My guess is that Span is the most likely to go, partly because there are replacements for him--Revere is his immediate replacement in center and Parmelee, Hicks, Arcia, Benson, and Tosoni would be able to fill an outfield position. Morneau is another candidate. He's had a recent upturn in hitting and has not had any concussion issues. I don't think the Twins can both a) get back solid high end prospects and B) unload his salary on the receiving team, so that is a major snag. Willingham is having a season for the ages (or is it aged?) projecting to 40 homers and well over 100 RBI--a classic sell-high scenario, but that leaves the Twins virtually powerless. It is also bad form to sign a free agent to a muti-year contract and then trade him in the first year of the contract. There have been rumblings about Perkins, but I think he stays put. I think trading Carroll is also a possibility. but he wouldn't net anything more than a small amount of salary relief. Finally, the Twins have a spot on their 25-man roster. With the flux of DL stints, possible additional trades, 40-man roster issues and a rested bullpen, just about anything could happen. I would guess that the Twins recall Oliveros, mostly because his option has been used and he again has been pitching effectively at Rochester.

#2 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

With Liriano gone now and Mauer and Deduno seemingly on the same page, can the team now get rid of Butera? Doumit and Mauer are a pretty effective tandem and Butera brings nothing to the team except for catching 1 day a week. Even if Gardy's worst nightmare is realized, losing the DH in a game because of injury to a C, Butera would be a plane ride away. I don't know who would be a good call-up, but maybe another middle infielder.

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Gardy coulda moved Butera to be Deduno's C after havin him last Sun in KC, but Mauer showing last nite it wasnt Drew.....there is no reason for him to be on this team (if there is, no reason for him to EVER start a game with our 2 current Cs).

#4 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

I think the team will have a veteran MINF next year. Whether that is a starter or a utility player isn't clear at this point but I sure hope that isn't Jamey Carroll. I think he's better than he's been given credit for this year and I think he'll be better next year than he is this year, at least in regards to batting average. However, Carroll has a $2M 2014 player option with no team buyout that kicks in if he gets 401 PA's in 2013. Since I think he's pretty much guaranteed to earn that next year, he's already at 300+ this year, and I want no part of a 40 year old Jamey Carroll for $2M, I think he needs to get traded and traded now! I don't even care if we get anything back for him.

#5 rickyhawaii

rickyhawaii

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Astros just got Bobby Borchering in a trade for a mediocre 3b Chris Johnson.. I liked Borchering and hoped the Twins would have drafted him a few years back, although now Borchering doesn't play 3b anymore and is probably a 1b. there are probably plenty of teams needing role players and have prospects that have fallen out of favor with some upside still.. just got to wonder. Danny Valencia could maybe net one of those types if a team knows how to use him as a platoon hitter against lefties. like the A's.. Carroll was coveted a little by the Nationals.. have to wonder if that could be a possibility..Carroll isn't important to the Twins going further.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carroll, morneau, trade deadline, willingham