Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Why are you a Twins fan? Here is my story...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sln477

sln477

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ere-is-my-story

#2 denarded

denarded

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Great story. You should post some of the pictures

#3 cmonhank

cmonhank

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

Great story. You should post some of the pictures

What a wonderful story, and yes, time were much simpler then.

#4 TonyDavis

TonyDavis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Really enjoyed reading this story..thanks for sharing!!

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

That was a fun read for me. As a Twins fan, I knew the name Vic Powers, but I learned that he was my mom's favorite player. Her family used to drive down to see the Twins play at Met Stadium and then get autographs after the game. She's got some cool stories, but she always says that Vic Powers was her favorite player.

#6 mysonlikes7

mysonlikes7

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Really enjoyed reading this story..thanks for sharing!!

I wish all professional athletes would read this story and realize what a simple gesture can do for a young fan. I have to be honest, I never heard of Vic Powers before I read this article, but he sounds like he was cut from the same cloth as Killebrew and the early Twins.

Tony - From following you on Twitter, you seem like the kind of person who respects the game and its fans. If given the chance, I hope you don't miss an opportunity to make a memory for a young fan.

#7 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

Awesome story! Well told!

My story of becoming a Twins fan is much less interesting. I was growing up on a farm in rural South Dakota and rather bored most of the time, so I simply picked it up figuring it would be a good way to pass the time. I somewhat randomly decided to listen to the 1993 season opener on the radio (KOKK, 1210 AM Huron, SD!) and after one game was completely hooked! Of course my timing was horrendous, the start of eight years of losing.

#8 TonyDavis

TonyDavis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

I wish all professional athletes would read this story and realize what a simple gesture can do for a young fan. I have to be honest, I never heard of Vic Powers before I read this article, but he sounds like he was cut from the same cloth as Killebrew and the early Twins.

Tony - From following you on Twitter, you seem like the kind of person who respects the game and its fans. If given the chance, I hope you don't miss an opportunity to make a memory for a young fan.

Thank you and you better believe it..thats what its all about. Without the fans there would be no baseball! I remember being a kid at minor league games being so excited just to get an autograph. Now that i'm in that position I make sure I always take the time to do the same. We are all so blessed to be in this position it'd be a waste to be a jerk!!!

#9 lilbiscuit

lilbiscuit

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

I too was a fan of Vic Power. And I had heard of him before he became a Twin; I think he was with the Indians. I think originally I liked his name. With a name like that, a guy hadda be a ballplayer. As I remember it, he wasn't a great hitter, but he may have been the slickest fielding first baseman ever. Now I find out he also a good guy. I believe there is no greater praise. sin477, thank you for sharing your experience.

#10 Michael (ClassicMNTwins)

Michael (ClassicMNTwins)

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Absolutely loved this story, and enjoyed your writing. Would be up for reposting your story at my blog! Did a feature on Mr. Victor Pellot Power some time ago-you might enjoy it. Godspeed!

#11 jeffheidkamp

jeffheidkamp

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

I grew up a Cubs fan in Chicago, but quite following baseball in middle school. We moved to Minnesota 8 years ago to start a new church. It's a LOT of work, and my wife and I were near burnout. We both desperately needed some kind of hobby where we could unplug and learn to relax. My wife re-discovered her love for books, I re-discovered baseball. It was strange to give up my Cubs, but there's something really fun about following a small-to-mid market club in a newly adopted home state. And my two girls don't know any different- they'll always be Twins fans- unless they move somewhere else, I guess. Thanks for the story, really liked it.

#12 jjswol

jjswol

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the story and it is always nice to hear about former Twins players doing well in their community efforts. I did a short piece about Vic Power also that you can find here.