Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: It's Time!

jose berrios jorge polanco jt chargois trevor hildenberger alex wimmers
  • Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#121 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• 2,006 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:13 PM

Why Is the bar for Polanco to be a .350 hitter? Was Dozier a .350 milb hitter?
I think one could compare Polanco to Dozier at the same age and easily make a case for projecting Polanco to be at least as good as Dozier in a couple of years.

I'm not sure we would have projected Dozier to be as good as he has become (although I would have expected a higher BA and OBP, but not as much power.)They are tough to compare because Dozier was a college guy who tore up AA (OPS .885) at age 24.Polanco won't get the chance because he will be out of options next year at age 23.He has never approached what Dozier did that year, but then his .725 OPS last year between AA and AAA at age 21 is good enough to make it hard to compare with a 24-yr-old.

#122 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:50 AM

I'm not sure we would have projected Dozier to be as good as he has become (although I would have expected a higher BA and OBP, but not as much power.) They are tough to compare because Dozier was a college guy who tore up AA (OPS .885) at age 24. Polanco won't get the chance because he will be out of options next year at age 23. He has never approached what Dozier did that year, but then his .725 OPS last year between AA and AAA at age 21 is good enough to make it hard to compare with a 24-yr-old.

Polanco is at .852 this year at AAA as a 22 year old. I'd say that is comparable enough to Dozier's. 885 in AAA as a 24 year old.

Dozier did OPS .832 in his 22 year old season....at rookie ball.

Will Polanco be as good a major leaguer as Dozier? We don't know. He's a better prospect than Dozier was though, so that's a start.

#123 spycake

spycake

• 16,787 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

I wasn't real clear about it, but I was including the 4 he already has. 15 starts is roughly half a season. Gibson had 8 in 2013, and May had 8 in 2014. Another member and I discussed the need to let young pitchers work thru their troubles. I would give Berrios the ball every 5 days come hell or high water for the rest of the season. He should be ready for center stage day one of 2017.

I was counting them too. Berrios needs to start every 5th game beginning August 1st to get 11 more MLB starts this year. Hence why we are very near zero margin for error toward that goal.

Personally, I would have preferred a little more margin for error in getting that experience for Berrios, over whatever it is they are trying to do with Nolasco or Milone...

#124 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

Too late to edit, but my last post should say AA for Dozier, not AAA.

#125 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,552 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Still time.....nice start by Milone yesterday.....

So far, Boshers has been terrible, and Milone has been terrible.....it's time.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#126 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 679 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

Last I read even after his last great start the Twins FO is still not impressed with Berrios as they keep grasping for straws to why he is not up yet. Berrios should have been up a week ago to all but cement his place in the 2017 rotation. At this rate he won't be on the team for good until May of 2017, as I am doubting the Twins will put him on the opening day roster. I don't get why it is taking so long to bring Berrios back. It's pathetic and makes the Twins FO look like imbeciles for holding Berrios out so long and giving him a mere 4 start audition. Doesn't seem the Twins view him in the same light as Sano or Buxton.

#127 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,552 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Last I read even after his last great start the Twins FO is still not impressed with Berrios as they keep grasping for straws to why he is not up yet. Berrios should have been up a week ago to all but cement his place in the 2017 rotation. At this rate he won't be on the team for good until May of 2017, as I am doubting the Twins will put him on the opening day roster. I don't get why it is taking so long to bring Berrios back. It's pathetic and makes the Twins FO look like imbeciles for holding Berrios out so long and giving him a mere 4 start audition. Doesn't seem the Twins view him in the same light as Sano or Buxton.

I'd love to read that, where was it?

#128 Lonestar

Lonestar

• 399 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

I think they are keeping Berrios down due to Super 2 considerations

#129 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

The only thing I can think of is that they figure this deep into the season they might as well keep him down until about 5/1 next year and get yet another season of team control out of him.
I realize some claim the Twins don't play that game, but with 3 slots in the rotation to choose from (Nolasco, Milone, Duffey), I don't see any other reason he's not up yet.

#130 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,552 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

The only thing I can think of is that they figure this deep into the season they might as well keep him down until about 5/1 next year and get yet another season of team control out of him.
I realize some claim the Twins don't play that game, but with 3 slots in the rotation to choose from (Nolasco, Milone, Duffey), I don't see any other reason he's not up yet.

That would be awful.

#131 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 679 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

I'd love to read that, where was it?

http://www.democrata...orthy/87458062/

It's just my opinion this is what the Twins think, but from this article it almost sounds like every pitch Berrios throws needs to be perfect in order for him to be promoted. I hope I am wrong, but with this organization I can see the Twins holding Berrios back especially since his first stint didn't go so well.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#132 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,552 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

Ya, wow. As far as I can tell, only the Twins seem believe that right now.......wow. That was a depressing read.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 25 July 2016 - 03:02 PM.

• Danchat and Vanimal46 like this

#133 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

http://www.democrata...orthy/87458062/

It's just my opinion this is what the Twins think, but from this article it almost sounds like every pitch Berrios throws needs to be perfect in order for him to be promoted. I hope I am wrong, but with this organization I can see the Twins holding Berrios back especially since his first stint didn't go so well.

So I'm paraphrasing here, but basically the Twins feel:
Even though he's dominating at AAA, they want to see 6 or 7 straight starts where not even a single hitter makes "solid contact".

Wow, unreal.
  • Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco and Vanimal46 like this

#134 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

So, if they used that criteria on the current staff, how many of them would still be on the team?

• Mike Sixel, Danchat and tobi0040 like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#135 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,552 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Even though he's dominating at AAA, they want to see 6 or 7 straight starts where not even a single hitter makes "solid contact".

Wow, unreal.

Total. System. Failure.

This right here is another reason they need a new GM, imo.

• Danchat likes this

#136 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,852 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

Quade and Steil are really grasping at straws IMO for reasons why Berrios is not at the MLB level. That's exactly what you want to see from a starter - quick adjustments and shutting down the lineup the rest of the start. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#137 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,852 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

So, if they used that criteria on the current staff, how many of them would still be on the team?

Great point. Not sure there would be anyone left on the MLB roster. 

#138 spycake

spycake

• 16,787 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

I think they are keeping Berrios down due to Super 2 considerations

Can't tell if serious, but Berrios is well past that point, this season. He was only up for ~3 weeks earlier, and we're about 7 weeks past the assumed Super 2 threshold date.

#139 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Can't tell if serious, but Berrios is well past that point, this season. He was only up for ~3 weeks earlier, and we're about 7 weeks past the assumed Super 2 threshold date.

Super 2 for 2017? :-)

#140 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,554 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

Wow, unreal.

No solid contact allowed, even on his off days. Because as Quade said, "you have to do it day in and day out."

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, jorge polanco, jt chargois, trevor hildenberger, alex wimmers