Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Chattanooga Players Trending Up

palka granite jones garver turner
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,471 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

I haven't paid close attention to the goings-on in Chattanooga for much of the season. I checked to see how the catchers were doing, especially Turner since he's reputed to have a major league mitt already. It looks like a lot of good things have been happening lately. The "other" catcher, Mitch Garver was 3-3 today with four runs scores, a homer and two RBI. He's currently hitting .268 with a .774 OPS, not great, but pretty good for a catcher. He also bring positional flexibility, having played first and some outfield IIRC. Stuart Turner had a quick start the first couple weeks, but was hitting below .200 recently, he's up to .229 with a .671 OPS. I'm believing he would be backup material, with as mentioned above, outstanding defense.

Others of note with much better season statistics: Zach Granite (love the name!) is hitting .302, playing center field and currently has 32 stolen bases. The OPS is only .724, but with that kind of base stealing speed and center field defense, he has to be on the Twins radar. Daniel Palka hit his 21st homer today, that must be the most in the organization, and his OPS is .909. I don't know what kind of defender he is, but he has some speed as evidenced by his stolen bases (24 last year, seven so far this year). Palka has struck out a ton, but 21 homers in less than 300 ABs is pretty tantalizing. On the pitching front, Aaron Slegers has been pretty effective, Mason Melotakis has been healthy, didn't allow an earned run in June and is fanning almost a hitter per inning. The reclaimed Zack Jones has thrown four scoreless innings for the Lookouts, walking two and fanning seven. Welcome back Zack! Finally, Lookouts closer Trevor Hildenberger has been outstanding--0.67 WHIP, 0.95 ERA, four walks and 31 Ks in 28+ innings.

• Mike Sixel, scottz and twinssouth like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: palka, granite, jones, garver, turner