Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Sid Hartman: Ryan is not tipping his hand on Liriano

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Star Tribune's Sid Hartman writes that Twins GM Terry Ryan is not indicating one way or another if the team is trading Francisco Liriano. He did, however, meet with Liriano's agent.

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

Two Sid Hartman sourced threads in one day? Easy now... Other reporters have signaled that there's a nearly 100% chance Liriano gets dealt, which makes sense. Of course Ryan would make no kind of commitment on the record.

#3 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Hartman is really working the phones today...

#4 rickyhawaii

rickyhawaii

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Ryan's waiting for the Mets to make Rick Reed available

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hartman is really working the phones today...

Posted Image

#6 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

I liked.... - that it sounds like the Twins explored re-signing Liriano - that Ryan intimated Liriano just plain wants to try free agency - that Ryan is thinking long-term when it comes to prospects.

#7 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

This just reported from Sid Hartman: Twins believe that winning will help attendance. Sources tell him that they are making efforts to improve this team for next year and the future. The last time Sid was relevant, cell phones were the size of a briefcase.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

I liked....
- that it sounds like the Twins explored re-signing Liriano
- that Ryan intimated Liriano just plain wants to try free agency
- that Ryan is thinking long-term when it comes to prospects.

Look at the source. Ryan is a close personal friend.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

I'm glad we have TR in the GM position. He has been around the block a more than a few times and doesn't seem to get emotional about things. Very matter of fact approach. "We'll see how it plays out," Ryan said. "We're at a juncture in this schedule where a lot of rumors are flying around. I think I'll let those rumors continue to fly. I don't want to box myself in in any way, shape or form. There's a lot of possibilities. "There's always a chance [of trading a player]. We're not doing well in the standings, and when that happens you're looking to try to improve and maybe do some things." Then again, this is an important week for him. He needs to make some good decisions. He needs to move Liriano and he knows it. Just like the guy on the used car lot, what kind of deal can he swing? How many customers does he really have? Does he still have the touch of knowing how far he can push and still get the deal done.

Edited by minn55441, 27 July 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

When Ryan makes a move that helps this team, then I'll be convinced that I should be happy he's back. So far, notta. He's signed old players, and the team still stinks. He's cut budget, just like before. I see nothing yet that should make me convinced that this is a new Terry Ryan, with a new approach. I'm reserving judgement until April of next year, when we see what he does at this trade deadline, and next offseason. Right now, I'm neutral, and I don't get how anyone can be anything but that. As for denying Liriano is being traded, if that is what is being reported, whatever. If anyone believes that, or anything else a GM says at this point, they are being silly, imo.
Lighten up Francis....