Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: What Would Happen If MLB Held An Expansion Draft?

brian dozier joe mauer stephen gonsalves nick gordon trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 dxpavelka

dxpavelka

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

The only strong disagreement I'd have would be Kohl Stewart.He's still a 21 year old 1st round draft pick with a career minor league ERA under 3.Those don't grow on trees.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#42 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

For the first 2 rounds, I wouldn't be protecting any relievers.  Each team is drafting 28 players apiece and more than likely going for upside.  I protect the position players and starters.  You get 3 more protections after Round 1 and 2.

This makes sense. Then from the original 15 you could consider exposing maybe Chargois, Rogers or Pressly, or some combination, though I would still protect Burdi.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#43 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

For a little perspective, here is a page which shows all of the players selected in the 1997 draft. 

https://en.wikipedia...expansion_draft

#44 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

This makes sense. Then from the original 15 you could consider exposing maybe Chargois, Rogers or Pressly, or some combination, though I would still protect Burdi.

I just think the game has changed. Teams now need starters to go 6 innings and then turn it over to the bullpens. I think May and Pressly and Chargois and Burdi can be dominant bullpen arms. May and Pressly already are pretty close to that. And, like I wrote, I think May could still move to starting, but they just have to commit to that.

• Mike Sixel and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#45 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

The only strong disagreement I'd have would be Kohl Stewart.He's still a 21 year old 1st round draft pick with a career minor league ERA under 3.Those don't grow on trees.

I can't disagree with that, and if I replaced someone to add him it would likely be Taylor Rogers. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#46 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

1.Jose Berrios
2.Max Kepler
3.Byron Buxton
4.Jorge Polanco
5.Miguel Sano
6.Joe Mauer
7.JT Chargios
8.Trevor May
9.Nick Gordon
10.Fernando Romero
11.Eddie Rosario
12.Nick Burdi
13.Brian Dozier
14.Stephen Gonsalves
15.Kohl Stewart

#47 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,829 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

just picking a nit.I wouldn't protect anyone I didn't fear would get drafted, and even though Mauer is Mr. Twin, I don't think anyone is picking up that contract. 

#48 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

just picking a nit.I wouldn't protect anyone I didn't fear would get drafted, and even though Mauer is Mr. Twin, I don't think anyone is picking up that contract. 

In this Hypothetical you have no choice, he has to be one of the 15 protected since he has a no move clause.  

FWIW, the same goes for the Hockey expansion draft.  I believe the Wild have no choice but to protect Parise and Suter, whether they believe the expansion team would take on their contracts or not

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#49 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

3. Sano  - terrible defensively but maybe slightly above average offensively

Maybe?

That probably the most pessimistic projection for Sano that I've read.

#50 TwinsTerritory

TwinsTerritory

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

For a little perspective, here is a page which shows all of the players selected in the 1997 draft. 

At the start of the conversation I thought each team only protecting 15 players would leave some pretty good players for the expansion teams.  After checking that list from 1997, I was mistaken.  Not very many players that had long (or successful) major league careers.

#51 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

No one would, but as written in the article and throughout the comments, that's not why he's included.

#52 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,880 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

At the start of the conversation I thought each team only protecting 15 players would leave some pretty good players for the expansion teams.  After checking that list from 1997, I was mistaken.  Not very many players that had long (or successful) major league careers.

I also didn't see them drafting prospects from below AAA, though I didn't search exhaustively. That seems like the direction I would go after about my first 10 picks. Instead they were focusing on guys with at least a little bit of MLB experience.

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#53 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

Try the 1992 expansion draft for the Marlins and Rockies. Some better players, including a future Hall-of-Famer (more likely than not but no guarantee) and some other interesting guys, like a young Joe Girardi.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, joe mauer, stephen gonsalves, nick gordon, trevor may