Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Draft Update

draft alex kirilloff ben rortvedt akil baddoo jose miranda
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,356 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

when you're a senior you dont have too many options...

They do, it's called a college degree. 

• Hrbek70 likes this

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#22 maxisagod

maxisagod

• 480 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

They do, it's called a college degree. 

That's part of the problem. You do the 'right' thing and go to college to get an education and play ball, you don't leave early, maybe your on scholarship, maybe not a full ride. But any debt you walk out you have no way of paying off once you sign that 1 grand deal. Then you don't leave early and stay all 4 years and that "hurts you". Then you need to get a credit card just to survive. More debt. Hoping you don't get hurt with an injury that affects you for the rest of your life.  But it your choice after all they can always get someone from Latin America to do it for just as cheap (just hope those guys don't get an "on the job" Injury, they can get fired and lose their Visa).  

If this was the meat packing industry or any other industry we'd be disgusted with how people are treated for doing the right thing. But it's baseball, the game we love. We look the other way. But saying people have a choice to give them less then they need to live or they can walk away for basicly life, show's an abuse in a system, and that feels agenst the values we say we value. 

And on a diffrent note, Thanks to Jermey fo all he does. the time and info he puts in helps make this site. And congrats to everyone who got drafted. 

• Mike Sixel and Willihammer like this

#23 clutterheart

clutterheart

• 1,607 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

Is Balazovic just waiting until the Twins have signed everyone they are going to sign and then he is going to try and get all of their remaining money?

If so, that is a smart strategy - assuming that he wouldn't mind going to college if the Twins can't hit his number.  

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,274 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

yeah sorry, there's no reason MLB cannot pay them minimum wage... and they aren't getting that right now.This would be very easily fixable if MLB gave them housing and food (which I'd add is probably in MLB's best interest too)... but then again, we've been over this 100 million times now.I don't think anyone's opinion is going to change here.

#25 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,789 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

That's part of the problem. You do the 'right' thing and go to college to get an education and play ball, you don't leave early, maybe your on scholarship, maybe not a full ride. But any debt you walk out you have no way of paying off once you sign that 1 grand deal. Then you don't leave early and stay all 4 years and that "hurts you". Then you need to get a credit card just to survive. More debt. Hoping you don't get hurt with an injury that affects you for the rest of your life.  But it your choice after all they can always get someone from Latin America to do it for just as cheap (just hope those guys don't get an "on the job" Injury, they can get fired and lose their Visa).  

If this was the meat packing industry or any other industry we'd be disgusted with how people are treated for doing the right thing. But it's baseball, the game we love. We look the other way. But saying people have a choice to give them less then they need to live or they can walk away for basicly life, show's an abuse in a system, and that feels agenst the values we say we value. 

And on a diffrent note, Thanks to Jermey fo all he does. the time and info he puts in helps make this site. And congrats to everyone who got drafted. 

Baseball is like the meatpacking industry. Nobody is outraged at the hiring practices of the meatpacking industry. Highest injury rate, lots of illegals busted. Not many care.

#26 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 934 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

I really think we got a sleeper with the HS C - Kidany Salva.  Glad we got him on board, didn't think we would.

• gunnarthor likes this

#27 shs_59

shs_59

• 461 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

Hopefull to see the Balazovic deal get done.

i'm ok with anything from 500K to 750 K for him to get it done.

obviously we might not be able to go quite that high, which would be a shame.

I could see his agent framing him as a 2nd round value, so they could want upwards of 900K....if thats the case, nothing will get finalized there unfortunately.

Twins Prospects? 1 S. Gonsalves  2. N. Gordon  3. Tyler Jay

4. A. Kirilloff  5. Romero, Fernando  6. Mejia, Alberto  7. K. Stewart

8.J.T. Chargois  9. Wells, Lac. 10. D. Palka  11. Wade, LaM. 12. Nic Burdi

#28 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,292 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

I'm just worried about how to fit all 40 of these future stars onto the 25-man roster when they all develop.

June really is the best month of the year, at least for a non-contending team.

• Mike Sixel and Dman like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#29 mnrecruiterguy

mnrecruiterguy

• 4 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Any new news on the Balazovic kid? Do we anticipate to sign anyone else from this draft class? Thanks for all the update, Jeremy!

#30 Dman

Dman

• 1,667 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

I take it we are not signing Balazovic?  Isn't the signing period almost over?

#31 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,843 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

I take it we are not signing Balazovic?  Isn't the signing period almost over?

I thought they had a month.

#32 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,320 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

I thought the deadline for high schoolers used to be just before fall semester began.

#33 clutterheart

clutterheart

• 1,607 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

I think July 15 is the deadline. So we should know soon

#34 Dman

Dman

• 1,667 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

Jeremy any news on Balazovic?  It seems most everyone has signed except him.  Money issues?

#35 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,843 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

Jeremy any news on Balazovic?  It seems most everyone has signed except him.  Money issues?

He signed last week.

#36 Dman

Dman

• 1,667 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

Awesome!! Thanks for the update.  I didn't see it anywhere so didn't know.  So they did well signing the top 20 then.  Nice class. Hope it works out.

#37 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• 220 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

Jeremy,

Did the Twins sign anymore draft picks? By last count, they had signed 33 of 42 selections. Which are the players not signed?

#38 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,493 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

Someone needs to challenge the system in court, and create a class action suit.MLB would be shamed publicly into paying the minor league players a fair salary. Comparing inadequate pay to other inadequate pay lacks compassion and empathy.

#39 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,274 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Someone needs to challenge the system in court, and create a class action suit.MLB would be shamed publicly into paying the minor league players a fair salary. Comparing inadequate pay to other inadequate pay lacks compassion and empathy.

That's already being done.MLB is being sued by a bunch of ex-minor leaguers.Not quite sure where it has gone. 

#40 dgwills

dgwills

• 592 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

That's already being done.MLB is being sued by a bunch of ex-minor leaguers.Not quite sure where it has gone. 

Last I heard some politician with ties to a MLB owner was bringing forth legislation to exempt minor league players from minimum wage requirements. Pretty disgusting. Sorry about the lack of details, but I don't feel like looking it up right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft, alex kirilloff, ben rortvedt, akil baddoo, jose miranda